Sponsored by: APR

Saved a few months on the tread mill

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
For which battery and what is the Carbon plate?

Their bigger one and the plate is a custom carbon mount plate where you bolt the battery, it's a specific model for the 991/981.. No need for special brackets or anything. You also take out the OEM metal shelf where you place the battery....save another 3-4 pounds and looks very nice. Check their website for the photos.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

I think I just need to come up with a way to charge it when it going to sit for a couple weeks or when I store it that is not a PITA. Would like to find a lithium charger for this that just plugs in to the cigarette lighter. I think Ctek make a charger but not for the cigarette lighter. I just wonder if you hard wire to the lithium battery and leave the connector in the frunk(assuming battery in front of car) that when you connect it you will not have an issue closing the lid to the frunk. The frunk lid on the Porsche is pretty tight and would not want to damage lid or screw up the gapping.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Their bigger one and the plate is a custom carbon mount plate where you bolt the battery, it's a specific model for the 991/981.. No need for special brackets or anything. You also take out the OEM metal shelf where you place the battery....save another 3-4 pounds and looks very nice. Check their website for the photos.
For the I48CE battery you do not take out the metal shelf where you place the battery?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

For the I48CE battery you do not take out the metal shelf where you place the battery?
It's plug and play. It slots into the oem base, and the oem foot bolts down to hold it from sliding out, just like oem battery. It's a standard interface.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I was talking about the LiteBlo9x.....the Braille is a direct Plug & Play thing.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Thanks all. Sorry to be a PITA. I am sold on this upgrade.

Just need to figure out if the OEM battery is useless once I swap or it can be shelved and a simple way to charge the lithium battery for someone like myself who is far from technically inclined
Old 03-29-2016, 10:24 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Sorry to be a PITA. I am sold on this upgrade.

Just need to figure out if the OEM battery is useless once I swap or it can be shelved and a simple way to charge the lithium battery for someone like myself who is far from technically inclined

At least the Braille should be good for 2-3 weeks without charging. I know using a 12V cigarette lighter adapter is very simple but taking the frunk cover off is just as simple...you just have to be aware not to fully close the frunk.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by jmartpr
At least the Braille should be good for 2-3 weeks without charging. I know using a 12V cigarette lighter adapter is very simple but taking the frunk cover off is just as simple...you just have to be aware not to fully close the frunk.
If you do not close your frunk completely will you be draining your battery? I was going to just have them hook up those circular attachment and have them leave the wire in the frunk which I would just plug in to the charger when neccessay. I would just close the frunk but not jam it down while charging
Old 03-29-2016, 11:57 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Those interested, please PM me if you have decided to buy - I have a hook-up, but I think ends today.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^I am in. Found a CTEK battery charger that you can get the cigarette lighter adapter.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

You might want to take a look at Battery Tender Lithium battery offers here http://www.batterytender.com/Products/Batteries/
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Those interested, please PM me if you have decided to buy - I have a hook-up, but I think ends today.
Just sent you a PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:50 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Regarding using one of the previously mentioned large Shorai or large Battery Tender lithiums, from personal experience running a 6lb. 13Ah (39 LAh equiv.) Braille
in a 3.4 9A1 Cayman R (12.5:1 compression) to lose weight, both the Shorai and Battery Tender batteries are going to have issues. (36 LAh equiv.)
If the car will always be in a moderate temperature climate, and not tracked, and never run electricals with the engine off, and on a trickle after a week, you can "just" get away with those.
But if you ever track (read fans will come on a lot with the car off) or live in a cooler climate or use the electricals with the engine off, you'll have issues.
Also remember that Li batteries slowly lose efficiency over time, you don't want the battery to be on the edge from the beginning, voltage/current will eventually fall under what's required from age.
The previously mentioned i48 from Braille is a good option. (75 LAh equiv.)

ps If you're going to flash the DME with a Li batt., make absolutely sure you do it with a 10A+ battery charger connected .
The Li batteries have a voltage protection circuit so you don't brick them and will shut off at a fairly high cut point.
If this happens, it puts out 0 volts until a charger brings the voltage back above the cut point.
You run the risk of damaging the DME during the flash if voltage is lost, and, add insult to injury,
the front trunk will be locked and you can't get to the battery without using a battery through the fuse box to get the hood open.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Has anyone had any experience withe the Voltphreak VPH 900. It looks to be on par with the Braille I48CE but $500 less. It also weighs just 7lbs. Doing a little homework on the VPH 900. I am also wondering if it is plug and play and you do not need an additional bracket. If any one has any experience please chime in.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 09:53 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Quote:
"ps If you're going to flash the DME with a Li batt., make absolutely sure you do it with a 10A+ battery charger connected .
The Li batteries have a voltage protection circuit so you don't brick them and will shut off at a fairly high cut point.
If this happens, it puts out 0 volts until a charger brings the voltage back above the cut point.
You run the risk of damaging the DME during the flash if voltage is lost, and, add insult to injury,
the front trunk will be locked and you can't get to the battery without using a battery through the fuse box to get the hood open."

I believe it is recommended if you are going to flash your car you should have it on a charger regardless of whether using an AMG or Lithium. Good info though

Quick Reply: Saved a few months on the tread mill