Sponsored by: APR

Hey, Any Texas GT4 Owners In Here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 11:04 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
State antics almost killed the race and yet there was Greg Abbot basking in the glory handing out the trophy's....
I thought the same thing....
Old 10-26-2016, 11:09 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

MSR (Motorsports Ranch) in Houston is 3 hours from Austin
Old 10-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Radiantm3
Which tracks are within 2-3 hours of Austin? My family might be moving there next summer. I've been spoiled living in the NorCal Bay Area with 3 local tracks. I noticed there's some sort of driving school for road cars and karting near austin as well. Anyone been there before? Is it a private track just for the school?
You'll have a few to select from......COTA, TWS, MSR-Cresson, and MSR-Houston. There's also a smaller track in Houston.......Grand Sport........Phil
Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 AM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M Ryder
You'll have a few to select from......COTA, TWS, MSR-Cresson, and MSR-Houston. There's also a smaller track in Houston.......Grand Sport........Phil
And all pretty enjoyable to drive? Sounds like I won't be losing in track options if I do move. I heard COTA is pretty strict and there aren't that many track days available? Any truth to that?
Old 10-27-2016, 01:12 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

And all pretty enjoyable to drive? Sounds like I won't be losing in track options if I do move. I heard COTA is pretty strict and there aren't that many track days available? Any truth to that?
I'd say all are good (especially MSR Cresson and TWS), save for MSR Houston which is a little on the blah side. COTA has a lot of events, more than you'd think clubs could pull off for a $1500 entry (with garage). MVP, BMW (2x this year), Edge Addicts (3x, maybe more), PCA, Chin (2x)...I think there are a few I'm missing this year.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Track surface at MSR-Houston needs work. Other mentioned tracks are nice. If you want technical driving Grand Sport is your track. Short track with plenty of turns for apex practice and some trail braking work.......Phil
Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by M Ryder
Also Harris Hill, Eagles Canyon, Texas Motor Speedway, and I guess Driveway Austin.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I'd say all are good (especially MSR Cresson and TWS), save for MSR Houston which is a little on the blah side. COTA has a lot of events, more than you'd think clubs could pull off for a $1500 entry (with garage). MVP, BMW (2x this year), Edge Addicts (3x, maybe more), PCA, Chin (2x)...I think there are a few I'm missing this year.
Drivers Edge has done an event in early December every year.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Radiantm3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by jphughan
Also Harris Hill, Eagles Canyon, Texas Motor Speedway, and I guess Driveway Austin.
Is Driveway Austin just a school? Have you driven on their track? Curious about it since it's so local.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,374 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan

OK, who does Eagles Canyon (with it basically being an AX course interrupted by drag racing needing to be repaved, etc) and TX speedway?
Old 10-27-2016, 09:10 PM
matt_337
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harris hill has gone down hill big time. The only tracks worth going to are cota, tws, msr cresson and msr Houston.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

what ever happened to the El paso track? I think they started construction about 12-18 months ago. News article in our paper in Midland said it was to support the NM PCA clubs.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by ExMB
OK, who does Eagles Canyon (with it basically being an AX course interrupted by drag racing needing to be repaved, etc) and TX speedway?
In fairness, I haven't driven either; I just know about them. I heard TMS at least used to do night events and is a decently fun track though.

Is Driveway Austin just a school? Have you driven on their track? Curious about it since it's so local.
They offer schools, but I think after you pass their classes you can show up just to drive there. That said, when I went there for go-karts, I had some time to talk to Bill Dollahite and he basically said, "Our courses would be absolutely terrible for racing, because that's not what they were designed for. They are however among the best in the world for practicing the specific skills for which they're designed." All of which is why I added the "I guess" hedge before mentioning it.

Originally Posted by matt_337
Harris hill has gone down hill big time. The only tracks worth going to are cota, tws, msr cresson and msr Houston.
I heard that the county needed to do something with pipes that run underneath the track that would require bulldozing part of the track and Harris Hill was trying to use that to get some extra cash to fix the rest of the pavement. Not sure what ever became of that though, haven't actually been there in a few years.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Rich B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I drove it in 2012 for a 24 HoL and liked it.

Haven't been there since.

Cheers
Rich B
Old 10-31-2016, 04:33 PM
e46mike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kind of OT... i don't suppose anyone in the area have 2 used dunlop fronts sitting around?

Quick Reply: Hey, Any Texas GT4 Owners In Here?