Sponsored by: APR

Hey, Any Texas GT4 Owners In Here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
I have looked at the roster for the Trifecta and see a few GT4 instructors from this forum - could you guys conspire to see if you instruct me on Friday? I would prefer a GT4 driver as my instructor if possible just because I believe there is an added benefit to instruction from GT4 jockey familiar with the car.
While I agree it wouldn't hurt, if this is your first track event (isn't it?), it won't matter all that much what you drive or what your instructor is familiar with, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out. You won't get to the point of running the car anywhere near its limits or tweaking things to take this car's particularities into account. You'll have enough on your plate just memorizing the track layout, spotting corner workers, smoothing your inputs, braking harder than you're used to, learning the line, managing to drive it consistently, and looking ahead rather than right in front of your bumper -- all while not forgetting to keep an eye on your mirrors.

On the subject of learning the track layout though, watch YouTube videos before you go. Don't focus too much on the on the line you're seeing; just try to get to the point where you remember the sequence of the corners. It will give you a huge head start when you go out there. For example, a lot of novices mix up T13 and T16 because they both come after a tight left hairpin, but they need to be driven completely differently. Avoiding those sorts of "Wait what corner is coming up? / I thought it was that other one" moments will accelerate your learning and improve your confidence.

Last edited by jphughan; 05-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
While I agree it wouldn't hurt, if this is your first track event (isn't it?), it won't matter all that much what you drive or what your instructor is familiar with, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out. You won't get to the point of running the car anywhere near its limits or tweaking things to take this car's particularities into account. You'll have enough on your plate just memorizing the track layout, spotting corner workers, smoothing your inputs, braking harder than you're used to, learning the line, managing to drive it consistently, and looking ahead rather than right in front of your bumper -- all while not forgetting to keep an eye on your mirrors.

On the subject of learning the track layout though, watch YouTube videos before you go. Don't focus too much on the on the line you're seeing; just try to get to the point where you remember the sequence of the corners. It will give you a huge head start when you go out there. For example, a lot of novices mix up T12 and T16 because they both come after a tight left hairpin, but they need to be driven completely differently. Avoiding those sorts of "Wait what corner is coming up? / I thought it was that other one" moments will accelerate your learning and improve your confidence.
Excellent advice. Your first day will be mostly limited to your memory of the track layout.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 200 Posts

memorizing track turns now with vertical relief of track . . . . 20 turns!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

You might look around for an opportunity to bike it or run it. iRacing and Forza 6 have it as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:00 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 289 Posts

It's not as bad as it sounds- 3,4,5 is mostly straight, 13,14 is a double apex, and 16,17,18 is one big carousel. The elevation changes are fun. My first time there the hardest things were the distraction of all the painted curbing and the flag stations behind the fencing were hard to pick out at first. It's all a little overwhelming at first and it's a challenging track but once you get set on a safe basic line it's a fun track. After that there are lots of subtleties and complexities to work on for a long time. Just my 2c as a hack DE driver.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

biking or running is out - walking maybe with a scotch in my hand?

zedcat - thanks, the relief map helps a bit and I will have it memorized by heart this weekend

if I do well Friday and spaces are left for Saturday and Sunday, with approval by the powers that be I will run all weekend

now, maybe my Cargraphic race headers will be in on time and installed with dyno tune!!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:42 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Trust me, watch videos. Track maps never give you a sense of what the corner is like to drive. T19 for example barely looks like a corner on a map or when observed from the stands, but it feels nothing like what you'd expect from those views. Seeing the view from the car in advance will also help you pick up reference points more quickly and give you at least a general sense of where you want to be on track in various places, even if your line turns out not to be exactly the same.

Last edited by jphughan; 05-28-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:20 PM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can play any video game with it, it will help a million accelerating your progress. The biggest trouble when you start out and especially on a track like cota is to remember where you are and what comes next. iow, am I going left or right next? Any video game will help you with this a lot more than just watch videos. I played cota on F1 2013 (I think?) a bunch before the first time and was immediately at home on the track and could focus on my line rather than getting lost all the time...
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

track memorized by heart and now looking for F1 game for my PS4
Old 05-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Texshooter
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing Friday at the Texas Trifecta. Last weekend did 2 events on small racecourse. I had changed factory sway bar setting to front full soft and rear full hard plus opened the front plates and went full wing. It feels great. I'm excited, this is something I've wanted to do since Nissan offered GTR owners a weekend at COTA but I couldn't make it.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:58 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! I joined BMW CCA yesterday (we have a 328cic) but I can't make that weekend. Have fun! It will be here before you know it.

Originally Posted by Texshooter
I'm doing Friday at the Texas Trifecta. Last weekend did 2 events on small racecourse. I had changed factory sway bar setting to front full soft and rear full hard plus opened the front plates and went full wing. It feels great. I'm excited, this is something I've wanted to do since Nissan offered GTR owners a weekend at COTA but I couldn't make it.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:09 AM
GT4Life
Advanced

I spotted a new GT4 in Cedar Park yesterday on 1431. Black with silver wheels and paper plates. Looks like I have a buddy in my neighborhood. Anyone here?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning to be at MSR C on Sunday June 12th weather permitting. Members day running the 3.1. I hope to see and meet some Rennlist folks there!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:30 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Originally Posted by fishing
Planning to be at MSR C on Sunday June 12th weather permitting. Members day running the 3.1. I hope to see and meet some Rennlist folks there!
May end up giving the s2k a rest and pass on Hallett. If so, I may bring the GT4 out on the 12th to MSR. She needs some shake down laps .
Old 06-03-2016, 11:50 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

saw a Racing Yellow GT4 heading west on Elroy road tonite about 6pm

had black stripes a la 911R

anyone? assume you were leaving COTA

Quick Reply: Hey, Any Texas GT4 Owners In Here?