Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 AM
jarhead_spyder
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Joint here!
Got my Spyder around the end of December and now the beast has 2k miles.
Very fun machine. When the sun is out I have to drive it. Which is like everyday now.
- I had a 991S with PSE. The Spyder's exhaust is way more exotic sounding. Certain hot pops sound like a M16 rifle...no joke. I drive it in Sports Plus 99% of the time. The auto-rev matching is awesome.
- The Spyder gets the most thumbs up and photos taken out of all the cool cars I've had.
I have a few very minor cons
- The wind deflector. I never use it now. I'd rather enjoy the clear view and open feeling than the 1% of deflected wind.
- I have to tug on the roof a few times before the inside latch operates and engages the hook.
- For a 90k car I run an AUX cable from my phone to listen to my music. I ignorantly thought the bluetooth prep would have music connection like my 28k FRS does! Oh well good thing I can listen to the exhaust too.
-I got screwed out of LWBs..we all know the fiasco with those. But the heated seats are probably the best option I picked.

GT4 intakes are getting painted this week!

Old 03-20-2016, 06:16 AM
Quack
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jarhead_spyder
New Joint here!
Very fun machine. When the sun is out I have to drive it. Which is like everyday now.
- I had a 991S with PSE. The Spyder's exhaust is way more exotic sounding. Certain hot pops sound like a M16 rifle...no joke. I drive it in Sports Plus 99% of the time. The auto-rev matching is awesome.
- The Spyder gets the most thumbs up and photos taken out of all the cool cars I've had.
- The wind deflector. I never use it now. I'd rather enjoy the clear view and open feeling than the 1% of deflected wind.
- I have to tug on the roof a few times before the inside latch operates and engages the hook.
- For a 90k car I run an AUX cable from my phone to listen to my music. I ignorantly thought the bluetooth prep would have music connection like my 28k FRS does! Oh well good thing I can listen to the exhaust too.
-I got screwed out of LWBs..we all know the fiasco with those. But the heated seats are probably the best option I picked.

GT4 intakes are getting painted this week!

Thing of beauty!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:46 AM
arsxs04
Intermediate

Beautiful car! Very similar to the one I have coming in next month.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Jarhead, the Bluetooth DOES allow you to play music, sounds very good too. Just have to set it up correctly, don't need the aux cable, try again
Old 03-20-2016, 06:15 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 582 Posts

similar to mine coming next month except black interior
Old 03-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

That car looks awesome. Did my second drive in mine yesterday and couldn't agree more. This car is just epic and so much fun to drive. I expect it will get way more miles put on it than my other weekend driver, my 991S. I'm seriously considering buying another Spyder now before they're all gone, just to store it for later years.

Those black wheels on the white/red car is just a stunning combination.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jarhead_spyder
New Joint here!
Good comments. My roof is really hard to latch. The hook doesn't catch unless there's 2 of you physically forcing it forwards and down. I guess it will stretch with time and get easier but for now it means I have to get back in the car after I've erected the roof to lock it with the internal button rather than the key fob, which is slightly annoying with the LWBs.

Got some unwanted attention today. A chap on the side of the road looking disapprovingly and gesturing me to slow down. It was completely safe and I was doing 40mph in a 60 zone. He was clearly influenced by it being a very loud Porsche. I must have been speeding, right?

I will try removing the wind deflector. Good idea!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:45 PM
JBoxsterK
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Jarhead, the Bluetooth DOES allow you to play music, sounds very good too. Just have to set it up correctly, don't need the aux cable, try again
Hi Alexio,
do you have PCM oder the "simple" CDR? I read somewhere that music via Bluetooth works on PCM but not via the mobile phone Bluetooth for the standard CDR...
As I will get only the "cheap" CDR it would be interesting how to set the Bluetooth up to get music played...
Thanks!
JBK
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoxsterK
Hi Alexio,
do you have PCM oder the "simple" CDR? I read somewhere that music via Bluetooth works on PCM but not via the mobile phone Bluetooth for the standard CDR...
As I will get only the "cheap" CDR it would be interesting how to set the Bluetooth up to get music played...
Thanks!
JBK
Get something like an Arcam Miniblink - works with CDR.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

My mistake, I didn't realize that there was a non-pcm option.

I'm curious how others are using key fob for the roof.. Is that a Europe-only thing? Would love to be able to use fob for roof functionality.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My mistake, I didn't realize that there was a non-pcm option.

I'm curious how others are using key fob for the roof.. Is that a Europe-only thing? Would love to be able to use fob for roof functionality.
holding the unlock button lowers the window and unlatches the roof and pops the trunk. I can't seem to figure out the equivalent on the close part - would be great to be able to not have to put the key in the ignition to latch the roof.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
holding the unlock button lowers the window and unlatches the roof and pops the trunk. I can't seem to figure out the equivalent on the close part - would be great to be able to not have to put the key in the ignition to latch the roof.
Good to know. This is an example of what can be learned from reading the forum. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 AM
jarhead_spyder
Track Day

Thanks for the compliments guys! and the ones who have Spyders coming you're gonna love the damn thing.
Paul G:
Yeah I'm sure we all scared a few people with the exhaust. A young guy in a new F-Type manual came up next to me on the street the other day which has a great exhaust too. After exchanging a few blast down the road he yells.."That sounds insane!" The Spyder's exhaust was surprisingly a lot louder and evil sounding.

Yeah CAlexio & s2ktaxi non PCM. Hope you guys ordered the device/USB bluetooth or PCM. My system now is to plug in my phone and use my apple watch to advance songs. I'm about to burn a damn CD haha. 1st world problems!
2 Spyders Archimedes?!!

I'll post pics when I get the intakes on. Probably get the factory 5mm spacers to push the tires/stance out more like the GT cars. Easy mod.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:41 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Spacers both front and back?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:51 AM
jarhead_spyder
Track Day

Roger That..Front and Rear factory kit spacers.
Mainly the rear looks a bit sucked in. I know it's a different tire/wheel set up but GT4 has better tire to fender lip relation or wider stance. Easy $400 mod that might be overlooked.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder Picture Thread