Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone come from an S2000 to a GT4... Thoughts and perspectives?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Mugen
Great feedback, all very well considered points. One theme that I'm so surprise to have keep coming up is the number of current and former S2000 owners that are now deep into the Porsche brand chiming in advising to keep the S2000.

I'm actually getting almost the inverse of the expected feedback between a similar post on S2Ki and Rennlist. The S2Ki guys are all saying go for the GT4 and don't look back it's way more car, while the Reenlister's are saying it's better to keep both if you can, both are special.

Didn't expect as much love for a humble S2000 amongst Porsche enthusiasts.
I am not too surprised. I am assuming a lot of the "OG" s2k members are no longer on s2ki or don't chime in as often. You probably have a bunch of young/new owners chimming in with their opinion. While everyone here has had theirs for a while or has driven enough cars to realize how special the s2k is.

Just my opinion...
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM
d.n.d.
8th Gear

was going to PM but i forgot i barely used this account.

OP you should definitely keep the S2k. You must have spent quite a bit of time and money assembling the full mugen kit like that, along with the hard top and MF10s. Some of these parts are going to be hard to find as collectors will hold onto everything.

If anything you should wait until you have both on your driveway and drive them back to back to make up your mind.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

I'm currently 1st on the allocation wait list at my dealer and hoping they are able to snag a GT4. Can't give you perspective on comparison, but as a former s2k owner, I'd probably keep both to drive back to back and then decide -- and I would most likely ending up selling the s2000.

I've owned a few sporty cars - G coupe, WRX STi and most recently an e90 M3 - the s2000 was far and away the best of the bunch. I absolutely loved that car - it was a complete torqueless wonder, but the gearbox and nutty VTEC made up for it. It is a true sports car, in the classic sense.

That said - there is so much overlap in purpose between these cars that I can't imagine being able to justify the garage space as much as the money.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Great feedback, all very well considered points. One theme that I'm so surprise to have keep coming up is the number of current and former S2000 owners that are now deep into the Porsche brand chiming in advising to keep the S2000.

I'm actually getting almost the inverse of the expected feedback between a similar post on S2Ki and Rennlist. The S2Ki guys are all saying go for the GT4 and don't look back it's way more car, while the Reenlister's are saying it's better to keep both if you can, both are special.

Didn't expect as much love for a humble S2000 amongst Porsche enthusiasts.
Former S2000 owner. Like others here, really enjoyed the car.

Between the two - easy -- GT4. Too much overlap for me to justify keeping both. I have a Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak for fun and something different than a sports car.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:28 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -dk-
I'm currently 1st on the allocation wait list at my dealer and hoping they are able to snag a GT4. Can't give you perspective on comparison, but as a former s2k owner, I'd probably keep both to drive back to back and then decide -- and I would most likely ending up selling the s2000.

I've owned a few sporty cars - G coupe, WRX STi and most recently an e90 M3 - the s2000 was far and away the best of the bunch. I absolutely loved that car - it was a complete torqueless wonder, but the gearbox and nutty VTEC made up for it. It is a true sports car, in the classic sense.

That said - there is so much overlap in purpose between these cars that I can't imagine being able to justify the garage space as much as the money.
I can drive the S2000 to the max on the street in terms of at least 2 gears of redline and turn at the limit. Can't do that with the GT4. That's why the S2000 is a keeper for me. aside from the fact it still revs to 9000 rpm and has a better shift feel.

The GT4 will be faster on the track and is a bit more refined. It's faster on the street in a straightline and in the turns but its limits are so high, they are not really explorable on the street which is where I spend most of my driving time.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:15 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 2,827 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
I can drive the S2000 to the max on the street in terms of at least 2 gears of redline and turn at the limit. Can't do that with the GT4. That's why the S2000 is a keeper for me. aside from the fact it still revs to 9000 rpm and has a better shift feel.

The GT4 will be faster on the track and is a bit more refined. It's faster on the street in a straightline and in the turns but its limits are so high, they are not really explorable on the street which is where I spend most of my driving time.
Now I'm curious for myself...

You're right - you can drive like a hero in the s2000 and not commit a felony in the process. Granted, that same lack of torque was not great for a DD, but the s2k is a ridiculous DD (though that didn't stop me back in those days)

One of the things I disliked about the e90 m3, and the main reason I dumped it, was the lack of feel -- it was isolated/refined with very high limits and relatively low torque. Almost like an s2000 style v8, but in a heavy, luxury car. Unless you were whipping that low displacement v8 >5k rPM, you might as well be driving a 3 series.

Regardless of limits, a sports car should still feel like a sports car. Full of sacrifices to performance - noisy and a little edgy. The s2000 had that specialness - how about the GT4? I can't imagine it doesn't.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by -dk-
Now I'm curious for myself...

You're right - you can drive like a hero in the s2000 and not commit a felony in the process. Granted, that same lack of torque was not great for a DD, but the s2k is a ridiculous DD (though that didn't stop me back in those days)

One of the things I disliked about the e90 m3, and the main reason I dumped it, was the lack of feel -- it was isolated/refined with very high limits and relatively low torque. Almost like an s2000 style v8, but in a heavy, luxury car. Unless you were whipping that low displacement v8 >5k rPM, you might as well be driving a 3 series.

Regardless of limits, a sports car should still feel like a sports car. Full of sacrifices to performance - noisy and a little edgy. The s2000 had that specialness - how about the GT4? I can't imagine it doesn't.
Depends on your perspective. A Lotus is far more go-kart feeling than a stock S2000. But an S2000 is far more raw feeling than say a Mercedes.

For me, the GT4 is at the edge of what I can use daily, but it's not as raw as say a Lotus or a pure track car. And for that I'm very happy. Can drive for miles and miles at a time without fatigue yet still am engaged more than any BMW.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by 9001rpm
I am not too surprised. I am assuming a lot of the "OG" s2k members are no longer on s2ki or don't chime in as often.
I just logged back in to S2KI for the first time in a while... I noticed that I joined S2KI almost exactly 15 years ago... Oct. 11, 2000.

Where has the time gone?

Last edited by pfbz; 10-08-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Domkouki
Advanced

Randy Pobst in a stock gt4 did a 1:21.7 at Streets of willow. If your s2000 is still naturally aspirated, and the car has good dampers, setup, tires then it would probably do a low 1:24 with Pobst in the seat. Link:

I haven't driven a gt4 at speed so I cannot comment on it, but I do enjoy the photos of your s2000! if you have a build thread please link it!

This is my hoopie
Name:  se3_zpsdmwwssgm.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  243.0 KB
Old 10-08-2015, 02:22 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Former S2000 owner. Like others here, really enjoyed the car.

Between the two - easy -- GT4. Too much overlap for me to justify keeping both. I have a Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak for fun and something different than a sports car.
I used to have a Cayman. Had to "downgrade" to an AP2 S2000 with 6300 miles on it after a change in my financial situation. It's a nice car, but I too have a Ducati, and if given the chance, I'd sell the S2000 in a heartbeat and get a GT4. No doubts about it. The S2000 is built very well, but it doesn't feel "special" to me.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I just logged back in to S2KI for the first time in a while... I noticed that I joined S2KI almost exactly 15 years ago... Oct. 11, 2015.

Where has the time gone?
Wow, that is OG. I thought I've been on there forever but you have me beat. I joined 13 years ago, also almost to the day. Oct 4, 2002.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Wow, that is OG. I thought I've been on there forever but you have me beat. I joined 13 years ago..
Newbie!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

I have no GT4 experience, but I moved from an AP1 S2000 to 981 Boxster with a BGB 3.8 conversion. I had both the S2000 and the 3.8 Boxster for many months after the 981 conversion was done, and I was surprised at how often I still wanted to drive the S2000 over the 3.8 Boxster. There’s something about the way the S2000 fits and feels that makes it special even compared to the much faster, custom-built Porsche. The 3.8 Boxster is a blast, but S2000 felt like it was hardwired into my brain in a way that I know the Porsche never will.

Unfortunately, I live downtown and had two garage spaces for three cars, and I regret selling it. If you have a way to keep the S2000, I'd recommend that you keep it.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

It's funny, I can think back to many vehicles I owned in the past and wish I still had.

Some that come to mind...
  • '83 911 SC
  • 2003 996 Turbo
  • '69 Ford Bronco Sport
  • '76 Ford Bronco Ranger
  • '69 Camaro SS/RS
  • 2004 Touareg V8

...but for some reason, my memory of the S2000 was less wildly enthusiastic than some others here. It was like owning a really, really nice cordless drill. It did a great job at (drilling holes) and spins really really fast, but I don't regret not owning it anymore, not even a little. Sure, I'd like to drive one for a nice long fall weekend, but I'd take any of the other vehicles I pine over before it any day.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Domkouki
Advanced

if anyone was in the market for a gt4 killer, I have one forsale

Quick Reply: Anyone come from an S2000 to a GT4... Thoughts and perspectives?