Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anyone come from an S2000 to a GT4... Thoughts and perspectives?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:04 PM
9001rpm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domkouki
if anyone was in the market for a gt4 killer, I have one forsale
Already have one .

Side note, that looks like Brandons old car lol.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Newbie!
I joined s2ki May 9, 2001, so I'm fairly OG. Still lurk in car talk occasionally. Anyway, been a Honda fanboy for a long time, but lately, not much to be desired from Honda for sure. Basically since the S2000, there isn't anything to get excited about from Honda besides maybe the upcoming $150k+ hybrid video game NSX that may eventually be sold to consumers after about a decade+ of waiting.

Had an '05 S2000 for about 3 years and put 30k miles on it. Great car, fun, awesome shifter, but really hard to compare to my GT4. The GT4 is a much better DD with much higher overall stock track capability.

A perfect garage would have both, but the GT4 is substantially better overall as it should be for the price and generation designed/engineered.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 PM
RareAir
Instructor

I have an '00 S2K, which I purchased with intent to convert to a track car, but have held off due to concerns about fitting in the car (I'm 6'2") with the required roll cage and other safety equipment. The car has Science of Speed stage 1 supercharger, lightweight flywheel, sport clutch, coil-overs, etc. Definitely a fun car to drive aggressively, and amazingly reliable and trouble-free with 110k miles on the clock.

During the time that I had my 987S, I hardly drove the S2K. Now I have an opportunity for a GT4, and selling the S2K would help offset that cost (or allow a few options that I'd otherwise skip) and free up garage space. It's a touch choice for sure - I appreciate all the commentary in the thread here.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All this S2ki talk got me to log back in... which I haven't done for YEARS (hell, I forgot my password) and I joined that site 3/28/01. That seems like yesterday!
Old 11-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New cars (regardless of how fast or how capable they are) are never as raw as cars that were designed in the previous eras where traction control system was not even available.

S2000, MR2 Turbo, Lancer Evo 3, 4, 9, Integra DC2 type R, RX7, Supra, Mitsu 3000GT, all of Gen 1 WRX STIs. Nissan R32 GTR, S14 & S15 Silvia...I have driven them all and had fun in them.

The S2000 was fun but you can get fun in any of the older JDM hot rods. You will have more fun in the Lancer Evolutions cause you can make mistakes and the AYC 4WD and turbo torque will 95% pulled you out of any situation and you can race on dirt.

If I were you I will sell the S2000 and get another type of JDM hot rod down the track when financially it makes sense. Its more fun to have the experience to own different JDM legends.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder Man
New cars (regardless of how fast or how capable they are) are never as raw as cars that were designed in the previous eras where traction control system was not even available.

S2000, MR2 Turbo, Lancer Evo 3, 4, 9, Integra DC2 type R, RX7, Supra, Mitsu 3000GT, all of Gen 1 WRX STIs. Nissan R32 GTR, S14 & S15 Silvia...I have driven them all and had fun in them.

The S2000 was fun but you can get fun in any of the older JDM hot rods. You will have more fun in the Lancer Evolutions cause you can make mistakes and the AYC 4WD and turbo torque will 95% pulled you out of any situation and you can race on dirt.

If I were you I will sell the S2000 and get another type of JDM hot rod down the track when financially it makes sense. Its more fun to have the experience to own different JDM legends.
Another point are the changing crash standards and pedestrian safety standards. Cars are necessarily bigger, with super thick A pillars, tall beltlines and relatively high cowls.

That open, airy greenhouse and nose dropping off into the road is a thing of the past - i.e. NSX. Some of that intimacy is lost when you're sitting in a tank.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag

A perfect garage would have both, but the GT4 is substantially better overall as it should be for the price and generation designed/engineered.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 PM
35Mugen
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice garage pairing... hope to join the club soon since I got a allocation confirmation today! :reckon:

After hearing from so many Rennlisters, I really hope to keep both the Mugen S2000 and the GT4 since both are special in their own way.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel for Honda lovers in the form of a baby NSX.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/24/c...tion-at-acura/
I hope it comes to fruition.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:29 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick1
There may be some light at the end of the tunnel for Honda lovers in the form of a baby NSX.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/24/c...tion-at-acura/
I hope it comes to fruition.
But it will likely have a turbo. and probably won't be MT.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:05 AM
Spyder Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope they will make it just to bring young people interested in JDM sports cars again.

It will do more good to Honda than a full on NSX, much like how the 86 revived Toyota's sports car image than the LFA ever did.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:04 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Another point are the changing crash standards and pedestrian safety standards. Cars are necessarily bigger, with super thick A pillars, tall beltlines and relatively high cowls.

That open, airy greenhouse and nose dropping off into the road is a thing of the past - i.e. NSX. Some of that intimacy is lost when you're sitting in a tank.
Yeah, the high waistline (or beltline) is turning into a real problem. The current SLK is a complete joke IMHO. With the roof closed it feels like looking out of the firing slit of a WW2 bunker. With the roof open it feels like there is walls around you. I don't usually drive with my ellbow over the window frame but it is my goddamn right to do that if I wish.

In all seriousness, that new SLK isn't an open feeling car (quite the achievement given that it is a $^&#& convertible) and my wife vetoed any thoughts of buying one after 3 second sitting in one. Can't say I felt she was unreasonable.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

was going to post this question in it's own thread then realized that most may not get the question...

The question is... for those of you who have redlined the GT4, do you find the power curve a bit flat past 6800 rpm?

I'm so used to all my DOHC VTEC Hondas revving to their 8000-9000 rpm redlines increasing in power all the way to almost redline.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:08 AM
9001rpm
Racer

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
was going to post this question in it's own thread then realized that most may not get the question...

The question is... for those of you who have redlined the GT4, do you find the power curve a bit flat past 6800 rpm?

I'm so used to all my DOHC VTEC Hondas revving to their 8000-9000 rpm redlines increasing in power all the way to almost redline.
I have noticed that everyonce it and while. I found that you can easily over power the tires in 1st and it feels like the car subtlety pulls power. Turn everything off and see what she feels like .

That or just take it to the track . Just got done hooning the GT4. You can find my video in the main part of the forum. Needless to say the GT4 feels very similar to the my track prepped s2k .
Old 11-11-2015, 01:54 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9001rpm
I have noticed that everyonce it and while. I found that you can easily over power the tires in 1st and it feels like the car subtlety pulls power. Turn everything off and see what she feels like .

That or just take it to the track . Just got done hooning the GT4. You can find my video in the main part of the forum. Needless to say the GT4 feels very similar to the my track prepped s2k .
The dyno charts confirm the feel. even in 2nd gear.

Quick Reply: Anyone come from an S2000 to a GT4... Thoughts and perspectives?