Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Aero Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:36 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
you might be better off running a taller gurney flap insert on the top/trailing edge of the rear wing as opposed to just increasing the rake. might want to try that as a single layer CF gurney flap would be pretty cheap.
Good idea....someone should make a CF gurney flap for the GT4 rear wing like they made it for the .2RS rear wing.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:15 AM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Any chance that the aero impact will cause premature tire wear during street driving? Seems unlikely to me. This whole recommendation seems to be soaked in legal BS as a justification. Im considering full aero setup and leave it there for good. Unless someone can convince me its a mistake.
Looking at the picture posted by BHGT2 and the way the panel when in place blocks off the diffuser function of the front splitter it seems like when the panel is removed not only is the diffuser activated and hence adds to front downforce, but also looks like much much more air is directed towards the front brake duct! On last weekends track day i reported that my front brakes were overheating in comparision to the rears and this very well could be the reason! If this is the case then i recommend that everyone who will be taking their GT4 to the track to remove the front block off panels.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but I couldn't find a picture of this anywhere else.

Are these two pieces here all that gets removed to increase the front downforce?

Name:  PxVoi9i.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  108.8 KB
Old 10-17-2015, 10:25 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
Sorry but I couldn't find a picture of this anywhere else.

Are these two pieces here all that gets removed to increase the front downforce?
Yes, that's them.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Man I thought the rear wing adjustment appeared insignificant. Hard to believe this would do anything.

I can't even adjust my wing yet cause I don't have the right star tool. So now I am driving around with an unsafe configuration!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:51 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I thought the rear wing adjustment appeared insignificant. Hard to believe this would do anything.

I can't even adjust my wing yet cause I don't have the right star tool. So now I am driving around with an unsafe configuration!
Don't sweat it - I just finished a track day in the "unsafe" configuration and survived just fine. Maybe if you were heading to Daytona it might make a difference.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone have before and after pictures of the wing in both positions?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,945 Likes on 2,801 Posts

I can't even adjust my wing yet cause I don't have the right star tool.
Does it need a Torx bit? Does anyone know the correct type and size bit required?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Does it need a Torx bit? Does anyone know the correct type and size bit required?
I remember reading on here that it was supposed to be a size 30 bit.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
I have not determined the size yet. Ironically I put everything from my garage in storage to make room for the GT4, which included the vast majority of my tools and I am sure I have that bit buried in a box somewhere. Now I am in this limbo where I refuse to buy a new one, but I don't have time to search the storage unit. I am not driving the car now anyway so no harm no foul I guess.

Anyway back to the point, if any one can list the torx sizes for both the front aero pieces and the wing please do so. I want to add it to the wisdom tab, along with needing to know what size to search for the wing.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway back to the point, if any one can list the torx sizes for both the front aero pieces and the wing please do so. I want to add it to the wisdom tab, along with needing to know what size to search for the wing.
Wing is T30
Aero piece is T25
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

I have not determined the size yet. Ironically I put everything from my garage in storage to make room for the GT4, which included the vast majority of my tools and I am sure I have that bit buried in a box somewhere. Now I am in this limbo where I refuse to buy a new one, but I don't have time to search the storage unit. I am not driving the car now anyway so no harm no foul I guess.

What he said
You can barely tell from looking at it that the angle has changed
Maybe from the drivers seat but looking at it from the outside no way
It's so tiny of a difference in the rake angle, it's hard to believe.
Lol I did the same thing with a lot of my stuff to make room for the GT 4
Regards
Ed

Last edited by Crazy Eddie; 11-06-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,138 Likes on 607 Posts

Here's something interesting. On sat i did a track day @ the streets . Not a fast track the back straight about 107. The first sessinon i had the wing down and the flaps out and i was running 131s. . I thought could easily get into the high 120s. After the first session i raised the wing. I couldn't figure out why i couldn't get under 132 after that. I saw i was losing about 4mph on the back stretch but i thought it was me waiting to long to get on the gas after the bowl. I also noticed more push in two fast corners. never put 2 and 2 together till i got home. With my set up F-1.9&R-1.5 bars middle the flaps out and wing down actually the car was better . Next time im going to go full soft f and middle rear flaps out and wing down. carl
Old 11-06-2015, 01:10 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a feeling that many of us will go back to normal wing angle once we start looking at our data. Unless we are getting into 120mph sweepers where we want that downforce, we may really be incurring drag at the slower speeds. Something thats going to take some real attention and data analysis to sort out. I plan on doing the math as early as next Friday at TH.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:25 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Group of three of us GT4 owners have been tracking for the past two months all my own data shows that it's faster around the track with the wing up. We hit 145mph on the main straight and have not lost a single mph from wing up or down.

Having said that we are all running middle front / stiff rear and it's quicker around the track this way. We haven't tried middle rear / soft front yet but will do on next track day. Tire pressures that work for me are 26/30 cold.

Quick Reply: GT4 Aero Adjustment