Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Aero Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:35 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

How many of you actually have a micro torque wrench to measure 6 ft lbs for the rear wing bolts? Presume many of you just hand tightened and used some loctite.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:25 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
How many of you actually have a micro torque wrench to measure 6 ft lbs for the rear wing bolts? Presume many of you just hand tightened and used some loctite.
Exactly. One side of the bolt assembly has a barrel that exactly fits the holes in the wing supports, so there's no play in that wing assembly regardless. It's more about keeping them tight-ish and not having them back out.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:31 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one that I use for my bicycles but have not adjusted the wing.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Exactly. One side of the bolt assembly has a barrel that exactly fits the holes in the wing supports, so there's no play in that wing assembly regardless. It's more about keeping them tight-ish and not having them back out.
I did mine no loctite
I have to admit they were not very tight to start with...
I have used 6mm bolts in my other Porsche, so I am use to the feel of 7 ft lbs ( I know this is 6ft lbs but you catch my drift
Old 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just torque it 'til it strips and then back off a quarter turn.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:37 AM
W Dewey Polsley
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you mean an Inch pound torque wrench... 12" pounds per foot pound.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, I'm officially donning my dunce cap and asking for someone to spell things out for me here. I've got the Driving on a Race Circuit manual and I've seen IrishAndy's awesome photos, but looking at the wing as it sits, I still can't figure out which fasteners I'm supposed to remove and what will change, and I'd rather not just start unbolting things. The guide seems to point to the fasteners that link the bracket coming down from the underside of the wing to the wing support coming up from the hatch, but looking at those I don't see where there could be another hole to run that fastener through if I were to loosen them. The only other pair of candidate fasteners I see are the ones that point upward into the underside of the wing. I suppose there could be another pair of holes in there currently masked by the bracket, but I can't be sure. So can somebody who has done this tell me exactly which fasteners need to be loosened and what I'm looking for? Also, can one side be done at a time or is this a 2-person job where one person has to support the other side while the fasteners on both sides are loosened together before being raised together?

Last edited by jphughan; 11-12-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Ok, I'm officially donning my dunce cap and asking for someone to spell things out for me here. I've got the Driving on a Race Circuit manual and I've seen IrishAndy's awesome photos, but looking at the wing as it sits, I still can't figure out which fasteners I'm supposed to remove and what will change, and I'd rather not just start unbolting things. The guide seems to point to the fasteners that attach the bracket coming down from the underside of the wing and the wing support coming up from the hatch, but looking at those I don't see where there could be another hole to run that fastener through if I were to loosen them. The only other pair of candidate fasteners I see are the ones that point upward into the underside of the wing. I suppose there could be another pair of holes in there currently masked by the bracket, but I can't be sure. So can somebody who has done this tell me exactly which fasteners need to be loosened and what I'm looking for? Also, can one side be done at a time or is this a 2-person job where one person has to support the other side while the fasteners on both sides are loosened together before being raised together?
Its a 2 person job. 1 to do the work and the other one to supervise and drink beer.

The back one has the holes and the front needs to be pivoting.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I'm officially donning my dunce cap and asking for someone to spell things out for me here. I've got the Driving on a Race Circuit manual and I've seen IrishAndy's awesome photos, but looking at the wing as it sits, I still can't figure out which fasteners I'm supposed to remove and what will change, and I'd rather not just start unbolting things. The guide seems to point to the fasteners that attach the bracket coming down from the underside of the wing and the wing support coming up from the hatch, but looking at those I don't see where there could be another hole to run that fastener through if I were to loosen them. The only other pair of candidate fasteners I see are the ones that point upward into the underside of the wing. I suppose there could be another pair of holes in there currently masked by the bracket, but I can't be sure. So can somebody who has done this tell me exactly which fasteners need to be loosened and what I'm looking for? Also, can one side be done at a time or is this a 2-person job where one person has to support the other side while the fasteners on both sides are loosened together before being raised together?
I want to do the same. I live off of Mopac, c'mon over, I got a BFH, we'll figure it out.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:56 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

jphugnan: The holes for adjustment are at the rear of the bracket, where the wing attaches to the bracket. There is a photo in this thread of exactly this location. You must loosen the front bolt on each side, then remove the rear bolt on each side, pivot the wing on the front bolts up about 6mm, then insert the two rear bolts and tighten. Then tighten the front bolts. The adjustment is so small that the bracket hides both holes, which actually overlap (see photo again.) Still, 6mm will increase the angle of attack by about 3-4deg (I think that's it.)
I would use Loctite and snug those bolts up.
BTW, I removed the wing via the 4 bolts that project vertically into the wing, two at each bracket. The wing is made of carbon fiber composite (page 83 of GT4 technical manual) and it does not weigh very much at all. It's about 56" wide, and 18" deep front to back, although the wing section is only about 12" deep at any point. It's big and awkward to move around, but easily carried by one person.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by consolidated
I want to do the same. I live off of Mopac, c'mon over, I got a BFH, we'll figure it out.
Me too! I'm in a semi-hidden gated community right around Mopac and Wells Branch. Would definitely be cool to meet up.

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
jphugnan: The holes for adjustment are at the rear of the bracket, where the wing attaches to the bracket. There is a photo in this thread of exactly this location. You must loosen the front bolt on each side, then remove the rear bolt on each side, pivot the wing on the front bolts up about 6mm, then insert the two rear bolts and tighten. Then tighten the front bolts. The adjustment is so small that the bracket hides both holes, which actually overlap (see photo again.) Still, 6mm will increase the angle of attack by about 3-4deg (I think that's it.)
I would use Loctite and snug those bolts up.
BTW, I removed the wing via the 4 bolts that project vertically into the wing, two at each bracket. The wing is made of carbon fiber composite (page 83 of GT4 technical manual) and it does not weigh very much at all. It's about 56" wide, and 18" deep front to back, although the wing section is only about 12" deep at any point. It's big and awkward to move around, but easily carried by one person.
Ok, that helps me perfectly visualize what needs to happen. Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

GIF Man is back. I think the wing adjustment process has been really well explained on this thread, but for those of us who are more visual I created a GIF of the adjustment process.

Additional Points (just as a quick summary)
- Use two T30 Torx drivers (use one on each side of the fastener otherwise the fasteners will just spin). I only show the one on the inside fastener for ease of photographing
- If one is a mini ratcheting driver (vs. a screwdriver shape) it makes initial removal easier (can be especially tight due to the thread lock)
- Take your watch off for less chance of scratching the car if your hand slips
- As others have stated the bolts on the front end of the wing uprights don't need to be removed - they just pivot. You might need to loosen them just slightly if they're too tight to pivot
- When you see me put the driver into the hole (steady!) it's to readjust the rubber washer. If it's not readjusted the fastener with the barrel won't go back in after you change the height
- I show how the bolt-type fastener fits into the fastener with the barrel just for additional clarity (not really part of the process)

The following 2 users liked this post by IrishAndy:
AndrewLakes (04-01-2022), fDG (05-08-2020)
Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 PM
jphughan
Drifting

^ Thanks Andy! From the descriptions above it sounded like the fasteners I needed to remove were the ones in the bracket that go directly up into the underside of the wing. I guess not. Thanks again!!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

^ Thanks Andy! From the descriptions above it sounded like the fasteners I needed to remove were the ones in the bracket that go directly up into the underside of the wing. I guess not. Thanks again!!
Glad to help! I'm really glad I posted this then, because I wouldn't know how the mechanical fasteners up there are attached to the composite wing material (I.e. Whether they glued in fasteners to accept the bolts or some other solution) so I don't know whether it might cause damage to remove those.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Now even an idiot can do it
Great job

Quick Reply: GT4 Aero Adjustment