Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Aero Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 Aero Adjustment

Why is adjusting the wing and removing the front aero ducts not recommended for the street or in some cases said to be illegal?

In the Chris Harris video, AP clearly says this is for track only. Is there a safety issue?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In matttheboatman's discussion with AP, he was told that the more aggressive wing angle blocks the view of the third brake light, so it's a traffic safety and possibly regulatory issue.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:41 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
In matttheboatman's discussion with AP, he was told that the more aggressive wing angle blocks the view of the third brake light, so it's a traffic safety and possibly regulatory issue.
Blacks the third brake light? That can't be possible.The wing is forward of the third light and about a foot above it. Maybe he meant it blocks too much of the drivers view out the rear window.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:53 AM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance that the aero impact will cause premature tire wear during street driving? Seems unlikely to me. This whole recommendation seems to be soaked in legal BS as a justification. Im considering full aero setup and leave it there for good. Unless someone can convince me its a mistake.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:59 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmaki
Blacks the third brake light? That can't be possible.The wing is forward of the third light and about a foot above it. Maybe he meant it blocks too much of the drivers view out the rear window.
The third brake light is at the top of the rear window. The strip you're looking at is the reverse lamp. I'm pretty sure AP meant what he said.

You can see both in operation (though the third brake light only briefly) in this video:

The following users liked this post:
Tango01 (08-10-2021)
Old 10-02-2015, 12:08 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by katmeho
Any chance that the aero impact will cause premature tire wear during street driving? Seems unlikely to me. This whole recommendation seems to be soaked in legal BS as a justification. Im considering full aero setup and leave it there for good. Unless someone can convince me its a mistake.
Physics says it will increase your tire and fuel consumption rate, but the exact amount and whether it's meaningful enough to warrant consideration is anyone's guess. I'm going to see how bad the third brake light visibility is. On the one hand, this being Texas, the land of huge SUVs and raised pickup trucks, the better they can see my small, low car, the better. On the other, those vehicles may well be so high up that they can see the light from above the wing anyway.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting my car set-up for track work next week and I'm going do the track aero adjustment and I'm going to leave it that way. The normal brake lights are plenty bright and most SUV's/trucks/cars here in Texas will see the third brake light.

I'm sure it's some stupid regulation from the EPA or DOT or whatever lame govt agency that the brake light has to be seen from ALL angles including laying on the ground behind the car....
Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

The third brake light is at the top of the rear window. The strip you're looking at is the reverse lamp. I'm pretty sure AP meant what he said.

You can see both in operation (though the third brake light only briefly) in this video:

Porsche Cayman GT4 & 991 GT3 - Engine Start up, Accelerations! - YouTube
There is no way your are blocking that 3rd brake light unless you are in car even lower than the GT4. Videos are misleading. Most cars on the street that follow you sit higher. Plus the angle of adjustment of the rear wing isn't great enough to go up that far.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
There is no way your are blocking that 3rd brake light unless you are in car even lower than the GT4. Videos are misleading. Most cars on the street that follow you sit higher. Plus the angle of adjustment of the rear wing isn't great enough to go up that far.
I remounted my spoiler last night
I was honestly shocked how little it moves ...
I thought the angle would be greater Wow
Now I am an expert on total removal and installing
BTW brace yourself if you plan on taking it off completely as the double stick tape is like 50 -60 bucks a side for the bezel surrounds OUCH
there are also the side access hole tape and covers ... with double stick tape
Regards
Ed
Old 10-02-2015, 01:10 PM
dmfl
Advanced

Originally Posted by gmaki
The light you referred to are the reverse and rear fog lights.... The high level brake light is at the top of the rear window. That said, don't know how adjusting wing angle would block the brake light that is so high up....
Old 10-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With stock aero settings at 128 MPh the car feels to lite. Went to full aero but have yet to get back to the track. Would help to lower it a bit as well from the stock height but I am trying to find a happy medium so maybe just the aero will do it.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:31 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

I did the aero adjustment, which is minor to say the least, and adjusted the rear sway bar to stiff which was a breeze.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:45 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Doesn't stiffening the rear bar reduce understeer by reducing rear grip? I can see the appeal for someone who wants a looser feeling car, but if you're only going to make one adjustment, why wouldn't softening the front be better to increase overall grip instead? Then again, I know that the major difference with X73 suspension is a stiffer rear bar, and I'm sure there's a reason for that, so I don't know. I am by no means a suspension expert in case that wasn't obvious.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Doesn't stiffening the rear bar reduce understeer by reducing rear grip? I can see the appeal for someone who wants a looser feeling car, but if you're only going to make one adjustment, why wouldn't softening the front be better to increase overall grip instead? Then again, I know that the major difference with X73 suspension is a stiffer rear bar, and I'm sure there's a reason for that, so I don't know. I am by no means a suspension expert in case that wasn't obvious.
So full soft front and middle setting rear would provide better grip than middle soft front and full stiff rear?
Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
I did the aero adjustment, which is minor to say the least, and adjusted the rear sway bar to stiff which was a breeze.

Did you have to lift the front up to remove those aero things under the car? What'd you use to take them off?

Quick Reply: GT4 Aero Adjustment