Sponsored by: APR

Does Durametric support GT4??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,173 Likes on 625 Posts
Default Does Durametric support GT4??

I called them three times today and no one answered ! Not a great sign for someone selling things..

All i want to know is will their cable work on the GT4 ECU? Anybody know for sure? I wish Rosstech did one for Porsche they are great.I had one for a TTRS..thanks carl
Old 09-18-2015, 09:31 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wouldn't the ECU be the same as the one in the 991S, albeit with slightly different tuning? I can't imagine why the GT4 wouldn't be supported, but I can't positively confirm it. As for the unanswered calls, I've read several posts about Durametric having less than stellar customer service. I guess that can happen when you don't have any competition.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:16 PM
4carl
Race Car

I think they use a different ECU from the SIT, ("The DME control unit Continental SDI 9.1") so I don't know? I do know that on the GT3 board the GT3 doesn't work. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-18-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:09 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Does Durametric support GT4??

Originally Posted by 4carl
I think they use a different ECU from the SIT, ("The DME control unit Continental SDI 9.1") so I don't know? I do know that on the GT3 board the GT3 doesn't work. Carl
The better answer is that it partially works. Durametric doesn't read and reset all Gt3 codes, but it has been able to reset some codes, and I was able to use the durametric to reset the service reminder on the GT3
Old 09-19-2015, 12:01 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The better answer is that it partially works. Durametric doesn't read and reset all Gt3 codes, but it has been able to reset some codes, and I was able to use the durametric to reset the service reminder on the GT3
Joe,thanks for clarifying . Carl
Old 09-19-2015, 12:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Joe,thanks for clarifying . Carl
It will be interesting to see how functional the durametric is with the GT4.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:24 AM
4carl
Race Car

It will be interesting to see how functional the durametric is with the GT4.
Wish they had a VAGCOM they are really good. You can scan all control moduals and live log up to 11 different values at once. I used to log individual cylinder misfires,timing on each cylinder and boost on the TTRS I had. You could see the difference in timing and boost with different octane fuel. I tracked it at SM and with 100 octane it would only pull 3 degrees VS 11 on 91.Carl
Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Resurrecting this to let people know that I just successfully used Durametric (version 6.5.8.0) to reset the oil service reminder on my GT4. Worth noting is that when I first tried with the key in radio readiness, Durametric detected the car and said that it successfully reset the reminder when I sent the command, but nothing changed on the car. When I then moved the key to the ignition position and retried, Durametric behaved exactly the same, but the car's interval actually updated. Maybe that caused some of the confusion earlier about whether Durametric worked on this car?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 PM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by jphughan
Resurrecting this to let people know that I just successfully used Durametric (version 6.5.8.0) to reset the oil service reminder on my GT4. Worth noting is that when I first tried with the key in radio readiness, Durametric detected the car and said that it successfully reset the reminder when I sent the command, but nothing changed on the car. When I then moved the key to the ignition position and retried, Durametric behaved exactly the same, but the car's interval actually updated. Maybe that caused some of the confusion earlier about whether Durametric worked on this car?
Will it read codes and over-revs? thanks carl
Old 09-28-2016, 09:39 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

mine does. It also resets codes just fine.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:20 PM
4carl
Race Car

dupe sorry
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true. I had success contacting Durametric via email. I recently upgraded from the Enthusiast model to the Pro because I exceeded the number of VINs allowed on the enthusiast model. They were great and allowed me full purchase price off on the exchange, so I only paid the difference. They say the Durameteric does not work on GT4 or Spyders. However, like orthojoe, I have successfully used it to reset oil change codes. Furthermore, I recall them saying they were going to be updating the software for full support.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:14 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by RNGRJAG
This is true. I had success contacting Durametric via email. I recently upgraded from the Enthusiast model to the Pro because I exceeded the number of VINs allowed on the enthusiast model. They were great and allowed me full purchase price off on the exchange, so I only paid the difference. They say the Durameteric does not work on GT4 or Spyders. However, like orthojoe, I have successfully used it to reset oil change codes. Furthermore, I recall them saying they were going to be updating the software for full support.
That's odd. I bought a Durametric for my prior 987.2 Cayman S and used the same device a few times with my GT4 to reset CEL codes after installing my Cargraphics race headers.

I haven't tried to reset service indicators but it reads the various control modules, over-revs, etc., just fine.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

johnsopa,

I agree, it does seem to work for some functions. Here's the quote from Durametric when I was asking about precisely this issue (does it support GT4?),

"Thank you for writing, at this time the tool does not support the GT4 engine unit. We hope to add support for the engine module in this car, but have not yet set a date." This was on June 30.

Even at the time of Durametric's response, however, I had used the tool to reset my 981 Spyder's oil service lights. It does seem that user experience (mine as well) is at odds with the statement from Durametric, but I'm pretty certain they must have some functionality missing to assert it doesn't work. Haven't used it on my GT4 yet, however.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,107 Posts

let's clarify for the too. i have a pro.
the features can be grouped into 'read' 'code' 'service indicators' and 'operate/test'
for the gt4, which i've tried it on:

you can read the codes of many modules and reset error codes
you can get information in most modules
you can read the over-revs
you can do some operate/test operations in some modules (called activations/commands)
you cannot CODE
you can reset service indicators
you can get some info for logging (actual values)

This is different than the 997 and 987 models where you can code stuff. lots of stuff. and read and get to more modules.

Good tool, won't do as much as a PIWIS, probably does most of what PIWIS does EXCEPT coding.

Quick Reply: Does Durametric support GT4??