Default good manual vs pdk info from cup forum

towards the bottom of this page:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...nounced-6.html
Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by konaforever
Manual all the way. That's the reason I got rid of my GTR.
That's actually the reason I'm keeping my GT-R. It's a very different car. AWD, turbo, dual-clutch auto, heavy vs rear wheel, NA, manual and much lighter. Each offers a very different experience. Both fun, but very different.

So to answer the OP question, I'd still get the manual.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 586 Posts

Dont forget, bottom line its all about selling cars. Selling regular Caymans is like selling heart disease, there is no demand. The GT4 is the only Cayman with any demand. Its also a parts bin car they don't have to make anything special, all the components are in production.

i do think it may dilute the value of the first run but thats not Porsche's problem. Ive driven every PDK on the current line GT3,Turbo S,GTS,981CS, and they are terrific. By far the best on the market but every time im in one after 5 minutes i leave it in auto. For me theres something about the mechanical connection you get that enhances the experience. carl
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If they're going to put a PDK in it I'd rather they called that car something else, like 'GT5', or 'GT6', or 'Corvette'.

The Cayman GT4 should be a clear marker in the Porsche GT lineage, and the introduction of PDK would dilute that horribly. It's for driving enjoyment: not for daily driving or for additional 10ths around a track.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 AM
jonathangt4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
If they're going to put a PDK in it I'd rather they called that car something else, like 'GT5', or 'GT6', or 'Corvette'.

The Cayman GT4 should be a clear marker in the Porsche GT lineage, and the introduction of PDK would dilute that horribly. It's for driving enjoyment: not for daily driving or for additional 10ths around a track.

+1
Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The Cayman GT4 should be a clear marker in the Porsche GT lineage, and the introduction of PDK would dilute that horribly.
Didn't seem to dilute the awesomeness of the GT3 or the GT3RS.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

To some degree. There are a lot of people selling them now because pdk has gotten boring to them. If the current GT3 had a manual option I believe it would be even more popular than it is. I just lol at all the comments made by people that would chose the pdk because it's a few seconds faster. Nobody on this board is racing for money. At. Least not the ones buying regular gt4's or gt3's. They are weekend fun and occasional take to the track for fun cars. I believe the only reason Porsche puts a pdk in a base GT car is for the best 0-60 times for the press. We all know that's the first thing people look at to see how " fast" a car is.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:53 PM
993RR
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 127 Posts

There is whole new GT market now that wants PDK
Old 09-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a professional driver... hell, I'm not even a great driver. I couldn't give two craps about lap times. I want to drive and enjoy the car so I would not be interested in a PDK.

And while I understand the business case, I do think it would be a bit of a shame if Porsche does offer the PDK in the GT4 because the transmission choice in this car is part of what makes it so special.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
I believe the only reason Porsche puts a pdk in a base GT car is for the best 0-60 times for the press. We all know that's the first thing people look at to see how " fast" a car is.
I think it's more complex than that.

Usability is a major concern for Porsche these days. Let's face it: most us spend our days working to afford these cars, not honing our skills using them. Yet we consistently demand more speed, and Porsche needs to comply to keep up with the market. The result can be cars too tricky for customers to handle, the Carrera GT being example A.

To address this Porsche has largely focused on making speed more accessible with this latest generation. The 918, 991 GT3 and Turbo S are all incredibly easy (relatively) to go massively quickly in, while the really challenging, "scary" cars like the GT2 and CGT are nowhere to be seen. PDK is perhaps the most obvious culprit, but it's just one of a number of technologies making performance more accessible. And let's face it: for the average customer this strategy is probably the correct one.

Unfortunately there is a downside. A number of us are starting to lament the lack of challenge with this latest crop of Porsches, in part because it's challenge that makes for a lasting relationship, not speed. An early 911 is tricky to get right, but a bit like golf or racing that makes it all the sweeter when you do. Speed itself meanwhile is just a means to an end- it's really the experience we're chasing, and going fast without the challenge and involvement is a bit like being a passenger instead of being the driver.

Walter Röhrl has stated that he prefers the older GT3s to the newer ones: he feels like he needs to drive them. The GT4 is Porsche's nod towards that old involvement, but it falls slightly short: the manual is great but you rarely need to use it, it's significantly over-tired for its power, and it doesn't love to slide around. So while it's a step in the right direction, I'm still waiting for Porsche to bring back the challenge. I want a car that's I'll never fully master, but that will keep me coming back trying.

Many will find enough challenge with PDK depending on both skill level and how they use their cars. And frankly if I'm flat out racing I'm more than challenged enough. Unfortunately that's pretty rare for me- what about the rest of the time?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Fair point, but I think that's entirely down to personal opinion. It did make the GT3 a less aspirational car for me, personally. It was my absolute dream car, but it is no longer; amazing though it no doubt is. I'll always see the 997GT3 as a high water mark, but then I'm not who Porsche is marketing to, so it doesn't really matter what I think.

The other issue with autos is that they are technology driven, and thus always improving in a way that makes them 'the best thing ever' when they are introduced, and 'not so great' only a few years later when compared with the new latest and greatest. History judges them unkindly as a result.

Getting a 993 with Tiptronic probably sounded awesome at the time. Ditto for a Ferrari F355 with the F1 gearbox. Now even the first gen PDK gets knocks. Not a reason never to get an auto, but I love the idea of Porsche leaving one niche model as manual-only. Just one.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:46 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Just speaking from my own experience.. The reason I am not in a gt3 is because I cannot get a MT. I may be oldschool in the fact that I wish to stay engaged..
Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I recall AP stating somewhere that it was current lack of resources that took away transmission choice, but the desire was there to do both.
Hopefully this will change, seeing the popularity of the GTs.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM
mikehinton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that having choices is always good. PDK in any Porsche is a no-go for me (and for my wife, incidentally). That said, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who would prefer to have PDK. Just don't force me to get it.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:17 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by d00d
I recall AP stating somewhere that it was current lack of resources that took away transmission choice, but the desire was there to do both.
Hopefully this will change, seeing the popularity of the GTs.
That is correct. The Evo interview I believe. Selfishly I hope they stay too busy, because they've created the perfect niche model as it is.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual