Sponsored by: APR

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:17 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Best thread on RL.

The conclusion is. OUR cars will be worthless within 20 years. If they are MT or PDK doesn't matter. Go out and drive the snout out of these amazing machines.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Best thread on RL.

The conclusion is. OUR cars will be worthless within 20 years. If they are MT or PDK doesn't matter. Go out and drive the snout out of these amazing machines.

yep +1
Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Best thread on RL.

I'm not too worried about 20 years, the engines in my GT cars will self implode once they hit 40k miles.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This technology is going to come sooner rather than later.
Regarding PDK vs Manual, all you have to do is look at the dealer inventories where you will find 95+% of cars with PDK and very few manuals.
Let's get real guys, manual transmissions I'm sorry to say are a dying breed and may become extinct in a decade or less.
Ferrari stopped making MT years ago and unfortunately Porsche will eventually follow suit.
It inevitable.
I plan on keeping my GT4 for a very long time.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 PM
jonathangt4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little did i know what this thread could evolve into..
Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Best thread on RL.

Not that I worry at all about the future value of my cars, but as a discussion point, I feel just the opposite of what you say.

There will always be a niche market for drivers's cars because driving for fun is such a pleasure. Fewer and fewer manual cars will be made. Newer cars will be increasingly robotic... if we keep our cars in good shape while we use them, their intrinsic value will be maintained, if not increased.

Our cars certainly won't be DD mobiles (few are today, even)... surely people in the future will get into their robot cars and be driven to the office while they work and be productive with their time.

But will be are times and occasions when people will take to the open road and experience the beauty of the land and the thrill of driving. I believe there will always be a strong demand for that...and vehicles that brilliantly support this pursuit will be highly valued.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Well if you live in California the autonomous car issue may not be your biggest worry. Check out SB350 if you haven't already. If that passes, get ready for restricted gasoline and much higher gas prices. Gotta love California government.

On the autonomous car thing, we'll just have to agree to disagree and reconvene in 10 years.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Not that I worry at all about the future value of my cars, but as a discussion point, I feel just the opposite of what you say.

There will always be a niche market for drivers's cars because driving for fun is such a pleasure. Fewer and fewer manual cars will be made. Newer cars will be increasingly robotic... if we keep our cars in good shape while we use them, their intrinsic value will be maintained, if not increased.

Our cars certainly won't be DD mobiles (few are today, even)... surely people in the future will get into their robot cars and be driven to the office while they work and be productive with their time.

But will be are times and occasions when people will take to the open road and experience the beauty of the land and the thrill of driving. I believe there will always be a strong demand for that...and vehicles that brilliantly support this pursuit will be highly valued.
I guess I should have put a smiley after the worthless post.

Hopefully we are allowed to enjoy these beautiful cars even after the introduction of self driving cars. If it takes 10 years or 30 years. I have no clue. But it will happen. As long as my self driving Tesla is allowed to tow my RS gasoline dinosaur to the track and the track rules allow me to drive I will drive it.
It would be a shame to have them locked up in garages to look at. But IMO that will likely happen as well. Hopefully my kids will have the chance to experience the passion of driving fast on track. My grandkids probably won't.

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual