Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

True GT4 weight and suspension info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 921 Posts

Yes.....very simple installation. You are looking at around $1600 before shipping.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Shorai LiFePo4 (lithium IRON) batteries. They are powersport batteries but we are talking $150-300 from smallest to largest from 2-5 lbs. Definitely not for the faint of heart as the CCAs only go up to 540 on the largest. My wife got me the largest model for Christmas at 4.96lbs and 540CCA (36 AH lead equiv) waiting to go in my next GT4. I ran one of the sub 2lb 210 CCA models in my S2000 daily driver for several months. Again, not for the faint of heart or someone wanting to sit and listen to the radio or leave the lights on. Still, beats the hell out of $1500-2000 for some of these Li-ion batteries and they have the same ability to stay charged long term (in the absence of a drain). I also ran a single 9.5lb Braille B129 that I bought for about $150 new in several 4 and 6cyl cars over several years very reliably (and that is just a powersports battery effectively). Definitely don't have to spend thousands to get a decent lightweight battery.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 237 Posts

3,074#s. weight at Daytona Speedway's track scale.

2 way seats + fire extinguisher + steel brakes & std wheels + full fuel + owners manuals + std tool kit and tire inflator.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:08 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I like Shorai LiFePo4 (lithium IRON) batteries. They are powersport batteries but we are talking $150-300 from smallest to largest from 2-5 lbs. Definitely not for the faint of heart as the CCAs only go up to 540 on the largest. My wife got me the largest model for Christmas at 4.96lbs and 540CCA (36 AH lead equiv) waiting to go in my next GT4. I ran one of the sub 2lb 210 CCA models in my S2000 daily driver for several months. Again, not for the faint of heart or someone wanting to sit and listen to the radio or leave the lights on. Still, beats the hell out of $1500-2000 for some of these Li-ion batteries and they have the same ability to stay charged long term (in the absence of a drain). I also ran a single 9.5lb Braille B129 that I bought for about $150 new in several 4 and 6cyl cars over several years very reliably (and that is just a powersports battery effectively). Definitely don't have to spend thousands to get a decent lightweight battery.
Good to know these options exist but for a daily driver I prefer the peace of mind of more CCA......of course I did have to pay for that.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

I've been running a Braille i48CE for about a year (12lbs), first in my .2RS as a replacement for the factory starter lithium battery, and now in my GT4. It's been absolutely flawless in Texas, and the car sits for up to a couple weeks at a time without driving it. The only issue I have faced with it is that it has a auto-cut-off when the voltage gets too low, which can suddenly leave you unable to get into the trunk to boost it in an emergency. Happened to me once, and entirely my fault.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,176 Likes on 628 Posts

I used an http://www.odysseybattery.com/ light weight battery in a lotus for 6 years . I think it was about 12lbs kept it on a battery tender if the car sat for more than 3 days. Was still good after 6 years. carl
Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
I used an http://www.odysseybattery.com/ light weight battery in a lotus for 6 years . I think it was about 12lbs kept it on a battery tender if the car sat for more than 3 days. Was still good after 6 years. carl
Still use the Odyssey PC680 in my Lotus. Might be closer to 15 .lbs, but still light. I keep it on a marine grade cutoff switch since you can lock and unlock the Lotus w/o power. Mine seems to die every 2-3 years or so for some reason.

Downside is it doesn't have a very large capacity, as you allude to. For a Porsche, need to have a tender or drive it often.

Only $130 b/c it's AGM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Would this work( fit) in the GT4?
Originally Posted by vantage
Still use the Odyssey PC680 in my Lotus. Might be closer to 15 .lbs, but still light. I keep it on a marine grade cutoff switch since you can lock and unlock the Lotus w/o power. Mine seems to die every 2-3 years or so for some reason.

Downside is it doesn't have a very large capacity, as you allude to. For a Porsche, need to have a tender or drive it often.

Only $130 b/c it's AGM.
With a tender will it run OK ?
If one uses a cut off on the GT 4 I am sure all sorts will crap will happen ??
BTW how much does the stock battery weigh ?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 554 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9070...read-mill.html
Old 01-06-2016, 10:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,176 Likes on 628 Posts

The GT four will have significantly more parasitic loss from the electrical system that my lotus had. Probably would be a good idea if you're going to use a lightweight battery keep it on a battery tender when you're not driving It. Carl
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks bud, got all the info
The GT four will have significantly more parasitic loss from the electrical system that my lotus had. Probably would be a good idea if you're going to use a lightweight battery keep it on a battery tender when you're not driving It. Carl
Jeezzz us !!
1300 for a Braille battery
My frugal nature will just not allow it ...
That Odyssey PC680 looks a whole lot more appealing as far as price ...
Will that work in the GT4 ? i.e size etc.. It's a lot cheaper to get the Odyssey PC680 and buy a tender, than getting the Braille ( which is beautiful but I may have trouble sitting down having to pay that much for a battery )
Regards
Ed
Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Did CJ Ichiban get his stripper and post weight yet?

Also re battery I have posted before but for $800 the Voltphreaks VPH750 is great (while still expensive) but mine is 6 yrs old and has internal circuitry so it can turn itself off Ie never gets too flat - weighs 6lbs. tony is a RL sponsor and great to deal with and does group buys for 5+ units.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 AM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine weighed 3023lbs. PCCBs, extended fuel tank, aftermarket fire ext., LWBs, AC & PCM on the car, and partial leather. I don't recall how full the tank was that day so I'm interested to do this again soon. Considering Porsches low weight of 2995 I'm thinking that my Techs scale may be misreading a little on the light side so I'll plan to revisit this one and also use another shop I know that's solidly credible in my area and compare the two. Surely these get calibrated occasionally and I'll try to get what info I can on that.

Unless I was on fumes and assuming for now that my weight is accurate, its reasonable that emptying the glovebox and removing the tire inflator and other things in the frunk would see my car very close to the 3000lb mark. A LI battery would def have me under I think but I'm not about to spend on that and not at all caring about a few dozen pounds on this car for how I use it. This thread is inspiring me to be more curious so I'll report back when I can.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,354 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by number 9
Mine weighed 3023lbs. PCCBs, extended fuel tank, aftermarket fire ext., LWBs, AC & PCM on the car, and partial leather. I don't recall how full the tank was that day so I'm interested to do this again soon. Considering Porsches low weight of 2995 I'm thinking that my Techs scale may be misreading a little on the light side so I'll plan to revisit this one and also use another shop I know that's solidly credible in my area and compare the two. Surely these get calibrated occasionally and I'll try to get what info I can on that. Unless I was on fumes and assuming for now that my weight is accurate, its reasonable that emptying the glovebox and removing the tire inflator and other things in the frunk would see my car very close to the 3000lb mark. A LI battery would def have me under I think but I'm not about to spend on that and not at all caring about a few dozen pounds on this car for how I use it. This thread is inspiring me to be more curious so I'll report back when I can.
Have not weighed mine yet but have driven it! Keeping to 300 miles break in before releasing fury of 7k rpms plus.

Full CJ track ninja (still gorgeous) spec:

Li-ion battery
LWB
Ghetto aircon (saves 5 lbs)
Radio delete (saves 10 lbs?)
Yellow stitch (more hp for sure lol)
Pccb
Yellow belts (NA weight)
Fire extinguisher (safety first)
Non-smoker kit (useless but the extra charger weighs something)

Ordered for looks but removable:
leather edged floormats (yellow to match stitch etc)
Colored key with yellow stitched pouch

Personally I don't think the alcantara weighs anything more than the plastic. It is definitely lighter than leather however. I'm taking it to the track next week with the clubsport (my race team and betim from BBi will be attending) and will see.
We are filming for jalopnik and european car so as long as nobody crashes my car you will all see the results.

I have already ordered a set of forgeline wheels for it- will see what they weigh with tires vs stock.

Car was delivered on dunlops

My shop (signing paperwork now) will be a site sponsor soon so we can source CS parts for customers and will do various levels of insanity for track cars for you guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,461 Likes on 763 Posts

C.J. - Any driving impressions you would care to share?

Quick Reply: True GT4 weight and suspension info.