consider selling my gt3 for gt4

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts
Default consider selling my gt3 for gt4

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I wouldn't worry about that. It's a foregone conclusion. However, neanicu sells his Kool-Aid on Amazon with the auto refresh feature.
Right....

Here's my review of the GT3 after driving it on the track. I think it's positive. Post 34.
As I said,I'm not a good enough driver to miss the manual much on the track,but on the street where I do most of my driving,I shall miss it for sure!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...comparo-3.html
Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have solved the dilemma of PDK vs. stick. I gave my 991GT3 back under the lemon law last year and bought a 50th Anniversary 991. I have a GT4 scheduled for delivery in September. Keeping both cars. A PDK cruiser and a 6 speed GT. Best of both worlds.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
I gave my 991GT3 back under the lemon law last year and bought a 50th Anniversary 991.
That sounds like a whole story by itself - did you get a thread going? - would love to see what you found. Was that the engine issue?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
I have no hard data to support this, but I would wager that there are more accidents on public roads than on the track per car mile driven, for the simple reason that when you're at the track, traffic only runs one way, there are no pedestrians, corner workers warn you of what's coming ahead, passing is (typically) only with a point-by, and most importantly, everyone out there is focused on actually driving rather than balancing a cell phone and a latte. For the most part, the track is as safe as you want to make it. Sure there are exceptions where external factors like people dripping oil around the track can affect your own safety regardless of your caution, but for the most part, if you drive in such a way to push your comfort zone a bit in the interest of improving your skills but stop short of being determined to extract every last ounce of what you're able to get out of your car, you'll be just fine. That's what I do.
I did moto track days for the better part of 25 years and heard the whole 'the track is so much safer than the street' mantra so many times it's not funny. I think it's been said so much, people just accept it as a fact. But when I took a hard look at the number of riders crashing on the track as a percentage of the rider pool or on a mile driven basis, the crash frequency was wayyyyy higher than on the street. And it spanned across every group, novice to intermediate to experts, and across the different track day providers I was attending. I've been thinking about taking my cars to the track now, but after discussing with a few regular trackday guys, I'm hearing the same thing, i.e., that there's more carnage than you would expect, often caused by the same issues I saw in motos. Gives me pause, though I think I'm still going to track my cars some anyway.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Right....

Here's my review of the GT3 after driving it on the track. I think it's positive. Post 34.
As I said,I'm not a good enough driver to miss the manual much on the track,but on the street where I do most of my driving,I shall miss it for sure!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...comparo-3.html
Kool-Aid or not (and I strongly think *not*), I appreciate your posts.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts
Default consider selling my gt3 for gt4

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Kool-Aid or not (and I strongly think *not*), I appreciate your posts.
Thank you!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I did moto track days for the better part of 25 years and heard the whole 'the track is so much safer than the street' mantra so many times it's not funny. I think it's been said so much, people just accept it as a fact. But when I took a hard look at the number of riders crashing on the track as a percentage of the rider pool or on a mile driven basis, the crash frequency was wayyyyy higher than on the street. And it spanned across every group, novice to intermediate to experts, and across the different track day providers I was attending. I've been thinking about taking my cars to the track now, but after discussing with a few regular trackday guys, I'm hearing the same thing, i.e., that there's more carnage than you would expect, often caused by the same issues I saw in motos. Gives me pause, though I think I'm still going to track my cars some anyway.
Fair enough, although I'm not sure how close the correlation between street vs. track accidents for motos and cars is. I will however say that although there are of course incidents on track, very VERY few of the ones I've seen cause any actual injury to the people inside the car. In the track days I've attended I've seen maybe 15-20 damage incidents, and of those I think only 1 resulted in the driver having to be taken to a hospital -- and even there it was just precautionary; the paramedics said he was going to be absolutely fine. I can certainly see how the numbers could be much more bleak for motos though.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 131 Posts

When I go to the track, I now try to drive at 8/10ths. I completely disagree with people who say that if you aren't driving hard enough to spin once in a while, you aren't learning anything. I feel like pushing any harder would require me to get a car with a full cage, harnesses, HANS, etc. Maybe that should be done regardless. This does not solve dealing with other idiots at the track, or unexpected situations like debris / fluids on the track. But it gives me peace of mind.

I would expect moto incidents to be higher because of the nature of riding. Much harder to catch and when you lose it, you tend to fall off, whereas a car can spin harmlessly.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,163 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
I would expect moto incidents to be higher because of the nature of riding. Much harder to catch and when you lose it, you tend to fall off, whereas a car can spin harmlessly.
Cars are WAY safer than bikes on road and track.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Quick data point. I've been driving on the track for ~20 years. I don't recall one single event without at least 1 accident with moderate vehicle damage. Let's call that 1 crash per event (average is probably a bit higher). Let's say 200 cars * 30 miles * 6 sessions = 36,000 vehicle miles. The event rate is 1/36,000.

On the street in the US, the event rate is 1/250,000 vehicle miles. Street is about 10x safer.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
Quick data point. I've been driving on the track for ~20 years. I don't recall one single event without at least 1 accident with moderate vehicle damage. Let's call that 1 crash per event (average is probably a bit higher). Let's say 200 cars * 30 miles * 6 sessions = 36,000 vehicle miles. The event rate is 1/36,000.

On the street in the US, the event rate is 1/250,000 vehicle miles. Street is about 10x safer.
$0.02

Motorcycles vs vehicles = apples vs oranges
Old 07-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Cars are WAY safer than bikes on road and track.
Agree. I wasn't trying to compare cars to bikes. I was comparing street to track. My guess, based on what I've heard, is that the track is not safer than the street in terms of actual collisions/damage per mile driven, for cars or motos.

Also, what I found on the moto side (again my anecdotal experience in about 50+ track days) is that it's gotten worse over time as track days became more popular and the bikes got more capable. 25 years ago, there were only a couple bikes down in a day; sometimes zero. Most recently, I've done days where 20% of the riders went down, and this is with a good provider and good riders.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Back on topic, OP, why did you buy a GT3 if you never intended to track it/drive it hard?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WTF was I thinking. Test drove the 2016 miata manual....my distant memory of how fun it was was no more. It sort of reminds me of this "phenomenon" - a girl was super hot in high school, but when you see her again 5 years, you would be like WTF was I thinking. Okay back to GT4 hunt
Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
WTF was I thinking. Test drove the 2016 miata manual....my distant memory of how fun it was was no more. It sort of reminds me of this "phenomenon" - a girl was super hot in high school, but when you see her again 5 years, you would be like WTF was I thinking. Okay back to GT4 hunt
Can't say I'm surprised. Good luck with the hunt.

Quick Reply: consider selling my gt3 for gt4