Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Arena-rtr made some excellent points
Old 03-10-2015, 02:44 AM
Dave GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Those glasses for myopia? PDK would make it faster on the track. 4WD. Turbo. 60 tread wear tires. Faster is easy. Feel is king.

Or would you rather drive a 3.0 to 60 Tesla if it gets around a track faster?
I would rather take a GT4..... as is.......master it.... like Walter has...and feel like a "king".

I can help you rip out your windshield so you can "feel" the pebbles hit your crown
Old 03-10-2015, 03:37 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

First we don't have a GT4 and people complain. Now we have one and people moan about it being neutered......

***** sake.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:40 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,368 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Ideal gearing for lap speed is track specific, but for most US tracks a shorter 3rd particularly would generally produce quicker laps.
And therein lies the choice. PAG didn't design the car to be US centric, but be ROW and all those nuances that go along with that.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
I don't understand why everyone keeps talking about this. It, like the GT3, and EVERY OTHER CAR sub $900k, could be "so much more". NO ****. They are designing it to hit a price point. If they put a 4.0 liter in it, a pdk transmission, and a bunch of new carbon fiber aero like the GT3RS, it would be as fast as a GT3 RS, and cost $190k. What is your point?
I agree with neanicu. I think a Porsche GT car should be NA, RWD, have a dry sump, and have significantly more than 100hp/liter, as all have been to date. Certainly during GT3 development they played with engine sizes and ran some 3.4 prototypes. The whole point of selling all those Cayennes and Macans was to make the true sports cars enthusiasts want, right?

And if they are going to the parts bin instead of developing a motor specific to this car, I agree the cost to put a PowerKit 3.8 in would have been minimal (if anything). As it sits, I could see value if the radio and AC were optional, with MSRP reduced accordingly, and the LWB seats a no-cost option, like on the 987 R. But for $90k+ in 2015, I want more than 400hp.

It will be very interesting to see what the GT4 Cup car is running - I have a feeling it won't be an off-the-shelf Carrera S motor de-tuned to 2009 power levels.

While I am not ready to say Porsche has sold-out the GT 'brand', there is a whiff of US-spec E36 M3 here by marketing a mainstream motor with the most sporting 'brand'...
Old 03-10-2015, 08:18 AM
WAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by khooni
First we don't have a GT4 and people complain. Now we have one and people moan about it being neutered......

***** sake.
I'm with you there.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I find it hard that people struggle to find a Gt car of their liking in this amazing line up! All the way from the great 6.3 at $60-65k to the 1RS at $185k! Never been so much to choose from!!!!!
Just make your choice and drive.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Dimmu
Advanced

Is it really this hard to believe that the exhaust differences between the 981 and 991 are enough of a possible cause for a 15HP difference? Am I missing something?

Last edited by Dimmu; 03-10-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I agree with neanicu. I think a Porsche GT car should be NA, RWD, have a dry sump, and have significantly more than 100hp/liter, as all have been to date. Certainly during GT3 development they played with engine sizes and ran some 3.4 prototypes. The whole point of selling all those Cayennes and Macans was to make the true sports cars enthusiasts want, right?

And if they are going to the parts bin instead of developing a motor specific to this car, I agree the cost to put a PowerKit 3.8 in would have been minimal (if anything). As it sits, I could see value if the radio and AC were optional, with MSRP reduced accordingly, and the LWB seats a no-cost option, like on the 987 R. But for $90k+ in 2015, I want more than 400hp.

It will be very interesting to see what the GT4 Cup car is running - I have a feeling it won't be an off-the-shelf Carrera S motor de-tuned to 2009 power levels.

While I am not ready to say Porsche has sold-out the GT 'brand', there is a whiff of US-spec E36 M3 here by marketing a mainstream motor with the most sporting 'brand'...
Then buy a GT3. Problem solved. More GT4's for people who can appreciate the car for what it is.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 AM
matttheboatman
Three Wheelin'

Received 614 Likes on 236 Posts
Default The GT4 is perfect for the price....

I heard the same thing about my switch from a Cayman S to a GTS. Posters who don't have one said... "Its the same car, the horsepower is not real, its just an option package, they just splashed some Alcantara to overcharge you"

The reality turned out to be...
Was about the same price as the S (spec'd similarly).
It is quicker - by about 4 seconds on a 2:00 track.
The Alcantara does make it feel better.
It sounds awesome.
It looks great.
It is more special than an S.
And, did I mention it is about the same price as an S equally equipped???

So, the GT4 will be all that and even more.... for about the same price as my GTS I will get the following options at no extra charge....

* a 3.8 engine - worth about $33K from BGB with software
* Wheels and tires would cost me between $7k - $10K
* 6 caliper 380 mm brakes - $3K
* A GT style from bumper with smile - $3K
* Proper front grills $500
* Sport Mirrors - $
* GT3 Suspension bits $
* A proper wing $

Similarly optioned, the GT4 will list for about $3k more than a GTS, cost about $6K because of no discount.

So, is the GT4 worth $6K more than a GTS? Are you kidding me?

Put in other terms, if Porsche offered a BGB like GT4 CAYMAN CONVERSION PACKAGE that was track-warranted, how much could they charge for such a conversion - $30K? $40K?. IMO Porsche would be booked solid at $50K.

I was pleasantly surprised when they announced the pricing of the GT4. Looking forward - I am pretty confident that I can learn and grow with this car. If cup cars get some lightweight bits - no doubt I can update the car with them. If there is a software bump in HP, update no problem. Some supplier comes up with a must have gear change, then I change. This GT4 is the platform for ANYTHING I will need to do on the track in the near term and down the road. It is my Racer X starter kit. And, best of all, I can afford it today. Yeah!!!!!!

Last edited by matttheboatman; 03-10-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I find it hard that people struggle to find a Gt car of their liking in this amazing line up! All the way from the great 6.3 at $60-65k to the 1RS at $185k! Never been so much to choose from!!!!!
Just make your choice and drive.
Finally someone with intelligence speaks! The lack of business savvy intelligence in some of these posts makes me question how some posters in here can even afford a new Porsche in the first place. Sure lets make a 3.4 rev to 9 or 9500 rpm and make it reliable, and keep the cost to 85k. Ok. The car you should buy depends upon how much money you want to spend for a weekend fun/track car. The gt4 is a great package that can be had for around 90k when all is said and done. If you can afford more get the GT3 or RS. They are better cars and cost more because of it. I think all the complaining and wishing over what the gt4 has or should have is dumb. Porsche like all businesses sets a price point for the car before they even begin to work on it. They try to make it the best they can with that price in mind while also being able to make a profit on it. I think they have hit a home run with this car especially considering the cost of it. They can't make this car 110 to 115k in price. That's too close to the gt3. It also will drive away some more potential buyers that 85k doesn't. Porsche is a business first and foremost and is worried about making money for shareholders. The product they put out will always have a few compromises for this reason. Luckily some companies like BGB exist for the die yards that want the best of everything in the car and can afford to do that. If you don't kike certain aspects of the stock car don't buy it so others have the chance too or spend more money and upgrade it to your liking and stop bitching. It's unfortunate that it seems some people in here have forgot how blessed and lucky they are to even be able to buy a 100k sports car. Let's try to keep some things in perspective here. End of rant
Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^ +1 Matttheboatman, you're spot on with respect to value. If you took a 981S and upgraded it to GT4 specs you'd be out $60K+. The GT4 is a NO-BRAINER for no other reason that it has TONS of very high-performance parts for almost no cost over a Cayman GTS. Sure, it's not perfect. But FOR THE MONEY, it's AMAZING!!

And as I think Orthojoe or someone else posted previously, for another $9 - $10K you can get a new gear set and a proper LSD installed and then you'll truly unleash the beast.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Most folks have brought up factual criticism and supported their statements with clear arguments.
For example,PeteVb was talking about gearing and suspension firmness just as soon as the specs were revealed without driving the car. There are others,like GrantG,Macca,Mike in Ca etc. These are knowledgeable people who are pointing out a few things that could've been better and know how to read between the lines.
Most will probably still get the car,but are being objective.
Nobody is saying not to be enthusiastic about the car. It is indeed a promising car for the money.
But I'm sorry to say,if you can't accept criticism,you are nothing but a Kool-Aid drinker and Porsche is happy to have you on board.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Or for app. $55k you can get at GT350 with high reving flat plane crank, Torsen LSD, tranny/diff coolers, IRS, spank the GT4 and keep $35k in your pocket. Gonna be a tough choice

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 03-10-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FrstPorsche
Finally someone with intelligence speaks! The lack of business savvy intelligence in some of these posts makes me question how some posters in here can even afford a new Porsche in the first place. Sure lets make a 3.4 rev to 9 or 9500 rpm and make it reliable, and keep the cost to 85k. Ok. The car you should buy depends upon how much money you want to spend for a weekend fun/track car. The gt4 is a great package that can be had for around 90k when all is said and done. If you can afford more get the GT3 or RS. They are better cars and cost more because of it. I think all the complaining and wishing over what the gt4 has or should have is dumb. Porsche like all businesses sets a price point for the car before they even begin to work on it. They try to make it the best they can with that price in mind while also being able to make a profit on it. I think they have hit a home run with this car especially considering the cost of it. They can't make this car 110 to 115k in price. That's too close to the gt3. It also will drive away some more potential buyers that 85k doesn't. Porsche is a business first and foremost and is worried about making money for shareholders. The product they put out will always have a few compromises for this reason. Luckily some companies like BGB exist for the die yards that want the best of everything in the car and can afford to do that. If you don't kike certain aspects of the stock car don't buy it so others have the chance too or spend more money and upgrade it to your liking and stop bitching. It's unfortunate that it seems some people in here have forgot how blessed and lucky they are to even be able to buy a 100k sports car. Let's try to keep some things in perspective here. End of rant
Since you are so much more intelligent, please point to the post where somebody expected the GT4 to have a 3.4 with a 9,500 RPM red line. I don't mind waiting...

Oh, I see. You were ranting intelligently to nobody in particular. My bad.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris Review