Sponsored by: APR

4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Luca Paindelli
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by imlkai
I am also wondering where everyone is getting the non ethanol gas for their 4.5L GT4!
I think you're confusing things: E10 gasoline is no problem. It's the additive that you need to bring up the Octane level. For regular driving 98 Octane is fine, at the track I like to run 100 Octane. I used to go OCD with the whole process and even built out a Google Sheet to calculate what you need based on how much you fill-up. But eventually learned through enough datalogging that, assuming you start of with 93 pump gas, for your average fill-up of 11 to 13 gallons all you need is a one 5oz bottle per fill up for the street or two 5oz bottles for the track. I transfer a full bottle into smaller glass bottles I got from Amazon (and carry around in an ammo box) and dump what's required in the tank prior to fill-up: I can assure you the process is wife approved... eheheh!

If all you got to start with is 91, then you're looking at 12oz to get to 98 Octane and 16oz to get to 100 Octane.

Once you're in the FB group we'll get you all situated with what you need...

Last edited by Luca Paindelli; 09-30-2021 at 10:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Luca Paindelli:
Net Cars (03-06-2023), porscheflat6 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:56 AM
imlkai
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agentscreech
While I'm only drooling over one of these, I'm in that area too. I know a guy who has a GT4 and is also considering doing this.

You should post your experience on the process for people on this side of the country. I'd be really curious about how it all went down when the shop is 3000 miles away.
It was a no brainer to me since the stock engine of my GT4 suddenly stopped working when I was on the track. Instead of putting $20 - 30K just to get a used engine, I'd rather do the 4.5L upgrade.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:57 AM
imlkai
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BealeAss
@burnergt4 can help you out!

Also welcome to the fam
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2021, 04:00 AM
imlkai
7th Gear

Originally Posted by flipmeraz
Mine is already scheduled to ship out this week or early next week. It's going to be a long wait. Going from Cali to NY. Can't wait!
I guess you probably won't have it back until next year, but I guess doing it during the Winter is much better than in the Summer. I lost almost the whole track season here in the Northwest.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:20 AM
imlkai
7th Gear

Cool

Originally Posted by Luca Paindelli
I think you're confusing things: E10 gasoline is no problem. It's the additive that you need to bring up the Octane level. For regular driving 98 Octane is fine, at the track I like to run 100 Octane. I used to go OCD with the whole process and even built out a Google Sheet to calculate what you need based on how much you fill-up. But eventually learned through enough datalogging that, assuming you start of with 93 pump gas, for your average fill-up of 11 to 13 gallons all you need is a one 5oz bottle per fill up for the street or two 5oz bottles for the track. I transfer a full bottle into smaller glass bottles I got from Amazon (and carry around in an ammo box) and dump what's required in the tank prior to fill-up: I can assure you the process is wife approved... eheheh!

If all you got to start with is 91, then you're looking at 12oz to get to 98 Octane and 16oz to get to 100 Octane.

Once you're in the FB group we'll get you all situated with what you need...
Thanks so much! This is super helpful; I thought I will need to run with race gas all the time but your post just gave me a big relief.
I am still having lots of questions; I guess I will need to find and join the FB group ASAP to start studying.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:37 AM
flipmeraz
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I guess you probably won't have it back until next year, but I guess doing it during the Winter is much better than in the Summer. I lost almost the whole track season here in the Northwest.
How long did yours take?
Old 10-01-2021, 01:11 PM
imlkai
7th Gear

Originally Posted by flipmeraz
How long did yours take?
About 3 months including shipping.
The following users liked this post:
porscheflat6 (10-05-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:47 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks so much! This is super helpful; I thought I will need to run with race gas all the time but your post just gave me a big relief.
I am still having lots of questions; I guess I will need to find and join the FB group ASAP to start studying.
Bunch of ways to handle the Boostane, @Luca Paindelli 's setup is great, @burnergt4 has a similar setup, I've got a pile of "She-Wee's" and the OEM leather oil bag with bottles in them of Boostane measured out that handles a few fills. Once you're in the group we can get you links to all the bottles and stuff and you can choose your setup . The good news is we're over a year ahead of ya in finding the most simplistic way to transport and rock out with the Boostane.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:21 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 815 Posts

So what does the car/engine make if you only run at 91(like what we have here in California) without dealing with Boostane or adding things?
Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Ganea Cristi
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gt4

Hi ! I would like to make the 4.5 demanmotorsport engine but I want to know if someone from Europe sent the engine there or the entire car. If there is one that I send from Europe, I would like to talk to him about some things. Thank you
Old 10-05-2021, 07:30 PM
Martin Anders
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganea Cristi
Hi ! I would like to make the 4.5 demanmotorsport engine but I want to know if someone from Europe sent the engine there or the entire car. If there is one that I send from Europe, I would like to talk to him about some things. Thank you
send me a pm - friend of mine has done it from Germany - happy to answer some questions
Old 10-05-2021, 10:19 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
Feel free to call anytime to discuss any of the details.

This has been a hot topic here on this thread.

For me, it has always been the delta, the delta between measured HP before modification and the measured HP after using the same dyno.
That is the true measure of gains from any modification.

Comparing Factory HP numbers to multiple brands and types of dynos never has and never will be an accurate way to put all the data in an acceptable way and is debatable for years as demonstrated by the input from many knowledgeable people right here on this thread. But I think we all can agree measuring the actual car as stock and then after modification will produce a real tangible number proving gains.

Cheers!
What are torque gains? I am more interested in how delta in torque from the larger displacement. This is stuff!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:26 PM
Knolly
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Saying hello in here a bit early...

I've got a 2014 Cayman S with PDK that will get the 4.5L engine over the winter. I just went ahead and ordered the 3.8L that will be the basis for the swap. I love my Cayman but do a few track days a year with an upscale crowd so the extra pep on the track is going to be wonderful. Plus I love the idea of a "stealth" setup with a visually stock looking Cayman without any obvious heavy aero going on, though I am planning on some Verus Engineering underbody panels and rear diffusor.

Deman mentioned they've done a couple of similar swaps into non-GT4s, any chance any of those owners are here?
Old 10-06-2021, 04:48 PM
TDT
Burning Brakes

Received 434 Likes on 290 Posts

That will be a cool weapon, w/PDK
Old 10-10-2021, 11:25 AM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

I just wanted to toss up a question in here. I'm not sure if any of the DeMan 4.5 owners had a GT3 before. I feel like I'm at a crossroads and weighing lots of options. I have a black 991.1 GT3. I just had the finger follower issue and the dealer is putting in my new engine soon. With the market the way it is, I figure this is the best time to sell my car if I want to move into something manual. I was afraid I'd feel like I was going backwards into a GT4 until I saw the DeMan 4.5. I don't really track the car. I mainly just enjoy going on group drives and back road bombing. I'm just torn on if I should try to order a 718, get everything I want and eventually do a 4.5 when it's ready or if that's worth it vs getting a 992 GTS or 991.2 GT3 in manual.

Quick Reply: 4.5L Owners Thread - DeMan Motorsport