981 GT4 battery is H5 AGM not H8 AGM - Clear "Steering support restrictive"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023 | 11:46 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CAFritz
Mine died yesterday 😪,. Lasted almost 8 years (build date 7/15/15). How does one know what tray size your car has? Is the part # you posted visible with the battery installed? Or would simply measuring the dimensions of the dead OEM and then comparing that to a new H5 and H6 tell you? Assuming that an H6 (70A) has a bigger footprint than an H5 (60/61A).
One other question... How to undo the drain tube? Pull it out at the exit point from the battery?
Tx, much 🏎
Hi CAFritz, yes, easiest way is likely going to be to just go ahead and measure the length on the existing battery or identify it by it's part number if you are able to see it right on the battery...H5, H6, H7, and H8 models all have the same height and width, it's just the length that will vary and get longer with each model
Best regards,
Chad
Old 01-26-2023 | 11:48 AM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Mine died yesterday 😪,. Lasted almost 8 years (build date 7/15/15). How does one know what tray size your car has? Is the part # you posted visible with the battery installed? Or would simply measuring the dimensions of the dead OEM and then comparing that to a new H5 and H6 tell you? Assuming that an H6 (70A) has a bigger footprint than an H5 (60/61A).
One other question... How to undo the drain tube? Pull it out at the exit point from the battery?
Tx, much 🏎
the part number of the battery tray is stamped into the tray, you will see it after removing the battery.

The bigger amp hour battery is bigger in size. Also, H5 battery has single handle h6 and above have doible handle.

the tube is for venting hydrogen, just pull it out
Old 01-26-2023 | 01:04 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Tx, much 🏎
There are 3 or 4 different battery mounting points...I forget what the distances are, but as always, one can measure. There were 2 additional exposed mount points, larger than stock battery installation point, 2" from each other.
Old 01-26-2023 | 01:16 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Hi Chad,

Just as a general comment I'm loving my Anti Gravity Battery.
No need to even use the CTEK Lithium Charger this winter.
Thanks for such an Awesome product.

Good times,
Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
Antigravity (01-26-2023), HelpMeHelpU (07-09-2023)
Old 01-27-2023 | 03:46 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Terry,

You may or may not have any interest in reading post #19 in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1315458-cleanest-wiring-for-a-battery-conditioner-quick-connect-2.html#post18337789

I originally connected my CTEK to my car's battery as it looks like yours is connected, but changed it after reading that post.

jD
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023 | 12:50 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdavis8361
Terry,

You may or may not have any interest in reading post #19 in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post18337789

I originally connected my CTEK to my car's battery as it looks like yours is connected, but changed it after reading that post.

jD
j,

I did see that and the below comment by that member.
IMHO I think you are more likely to damage the battery sensor jump starting your car than using a Ctek charger.
In my situation I don't ever actually use my CTEK Lithium charger.
Because I went with the,

I did a test and left my GT4 in the garage for 4-months just to make sure the New Antigravity Lithium Battery would last Many-many months if in storage for winter etc.

Note*
In the below YouTube video I speak of the VERUS Dry intake air-filters.
WARNING, guys, the VERUS filters Do-Not fit the GT4 !!!
In the video below it was done before the VERUS intake filters were going to be installed.
DON'T purchase those filters ...........

Antigravity H7/Group-94R 80Ah W/2,000 Crank Amps?

Will it start 2021 Porsche GT4 after 4 months?

Thanks for the Heads-Up,
Terry
Old 01-28-2023 | 04:50 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Just as a general comment I'm loving my Anti Gravity Battery.
No need to even use the CTEK Lithium Charger this winter.
Same! I bought the smaller 60ah battery and charger and still haven't used the charger after multiple winters. I don't even know where it is. Charge retention on the AG batteries is excellent. I checked the BT app once in a while for the first year or two and now I don't even think about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajw45:
Antigravity (01-28-2023), tigerhonaker (01-29-2023)
Old 06-21-2023 | 01:12 PM
LuckyX222
Track Day

Originally Posted by Stephen Shi
Let me revive the old thread...

There are two different battery tray/plate (officially called battery console) for 981 Cayman gt4. There is one plate(9P1 804 825 D) for 60AH battery and one(9P1 804 825) for 70AH and 80AH. Mine being a Canadian car made on Nov. 2015 feature the bigger plate that cannot accommodate the 60AH battery. Others may have the smaller one that can only fit 60AH battery. The battery console on the 981 GT4 is the same part features on 718 models but different than other 981 models. In conclusion, not all 981 cayman gt4 can be installed with a 60Ah H5 size battery.
Just chiming in to confirm this. Went to install an H5 battery yesterday after seeing this thread (but not reading all of it) and it was too small.
Turns out I have the large battery tray (and yes my car is a Canadian model as well)

Last edited by LuckyX222; 06-21-2023 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2023 | 03:16 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
I only drive my car on the weekends and the Exide in my GT4 has lasted nearly 4 years since I bought the car from a Porsche Dealership in late 2017 with 1200 miles on it.
I had the dealer run my VIN and apparently the previous owner never had this Exide replaced, so it is in fact the OEM battery since the car was brand new.
In fact, it's probably right at 5 years given my "build" date.

After doing some due-diligence, I have networked my way over to VW and am gonna get the same Exide battery that is currently in my GT4.
The Exide 5L0-915-105-D has been replaced by Part #: 000-915-105-DE
It costs $155 and I get another 10% off with my AAA card.

The only downer is Porsche needs to re-initialize the new battery and they charge $230 for doing less than 2 minutes of work,
inputting the battery's manufacturer and model number into their computer.

Hope this helps people coming up on a new battery!

having Porsche involved may be required with this particular battery, but when I replaced the original with a Continental, my indy installer hit a couple of buttons and I was good to go, and Porsche’s coffers were none the fatter for it,
Old 06-22-2023 | 03:27 PM
Sgtfluffy16
Banned

I ended up grabbing this from a local battery vendor. I used the OE part number and called Volkswagen and it was like right around $200 but I don't remember exactly. From Porsche it was like 385. I got this AGM AC Delco for just over $125 bucks. As you can see though, there is a size difference. But bolted in perfectly on the 2016 without any issues. The provisions were already there in the battery box just had to use a different hole. Then I hooked up my autel MP808TS and registered the battery to the car
Old 06-25-2023 | 02:06 PM
SpyderSean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16

I ended up grabbing this from a local battery vendor. I used the OE part number and called Volkswagen and it was like right around $200 but I don't remember exactly. From Porsche it was like 385. I got this AGM AC Delco for just over $125 bucks. As you can see though, there is a size difference. But bolted in perfectly on the 2016 without any issues. The provisions were already there in the battery box just had to use a different hole. Then I hooked up my autel MP808TS and registered the battery to the car
what does the battery registration process do? Just to confirm, the car should be able to drive without registering the battery, correct? My car is currently stuck in the garage and I’d much much rather just plop a new battery in and drive it to the dealership or Indy shop for programming than have it towed there….
Old 06-25-2023 | 02:18 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpyderSean
what does the battery registration process do? Just to confirm, the car should be able to drive without registering the battery, correct? My car is currently stuck in the garage and I’d much much rather just plop a new battery in and drive it to the dealership or Indy shop for programming than have it towed there….
yes it will start and drive without programming.
Old 06-25-2023 | 03:03 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSean
It might throw the “steering support restricted,” light, which you can clear by locking the steering wheel each way. Without meaning to be presumptuous, I’d go to an indy to register the battery. Porsche dealers will rob you blind after telling you only they can do it.
Old 06-30-2023 | 12:44 PM
captain pabst
Advanced

Your Video shows the engine is at temperature when you go to start it.

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
j,

Will it start 2021 Porsche GT4 after 4 months?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGNVHyB-2Cg&t=28s

Thanks for the Heads-Up,
Terry
Old 06-30-2023 | 01:09 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by captain pabst
Your Video shows the engine is at temperature when you go to start it.
I don't have a clue why that shows those readings ??????????????
I can only say that it was NOT moved, started-Up, No-Battery-Minder etc. for at least 4-months.
I did just look at the video and what I saw was the following image on the WARNING for Check Tires.
Because as I said above it had not been moved or anything else in over 4-months in my garage.

I don't make it a habit of LYING and or MISLEADING Rennlist.com members, ever.

Also,
Who in their right mind would do a video showing the temperatures when that person, me, said the GT4 had NOT been Started in 4-Months !!!

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-30-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 981 GT4 battery is H5 AGM not H8 AGM - Clear "Steering support restrictive"