Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Buying Advice GT4 vs 718GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:59 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

All Porsches are phenomenal cars, they all fill a niche: the question is what niche do you need? To bicker which is better is not appropriate since the GTS and the GT4 are clearly made to cover different areas. The GT4 is a more track focused vehicle that can be driven on the street. The GTS is a street focused vehicle that can be driven on the track. As such, each has pluses and minuses that could sway your choice in one way or the other depending upon its intended use.

I have a GT3 RS that I track, however I cant stand driving around town, for me a plan 911 S provides more enjoyment around town. However, a 911 S is a challenge in comparison to enjoy at track days because the RS is so much better suited.

I bought a 718 GTS recently as a car for my wife to enjoy and take to the track on occasion. Since my 2016 RS was traded in and my 19 RS hadn't arrived, I used it a lot on the track over the summer and fall. I was amazed at how good the 718 GTS was on track. As I have said in numerous posts, its a fast car. The low end torque is crazy, easily pulls from my friends in their GT4s. However, it sounds awful in comparison, and the steering goes numb at higher speeds, but overall I have been very impressed with the GTS. We have driven it on trips, is really comfortable and has a lot of space for luggage in front and with the rear hatch that opens allows even more stuff to be stowed away.

I have been so impressed with the 718 that I am getting a new GT4 when its released. The 718 is that good. I will probably keep the 718 for my wife and use the GT4 for track duty only.

Good luck with choice!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM
jcorderojr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
I don't really understand the stupid bickering over these two cars. It seems pretty simple they are different cars and one would expect different buyers with different preferences/priorities.

I chose the 718 GTS over the 981 GT4 for a few reasons.

1.) I wanted to be able to order the config I wanted and not one I could find second hand,
2.) I didn't want a wing on my car that I drive on the street frequently.
3.) I wanted a PDK. I currently have three MT cars and thought the PDK might be nice to try for a change, In addition, I wanted the PDK on the track so I could focus on other things.
4.) I really like the easily accessible low down torque, particularly useful on an autoX track.
5.) My wife likes to take the car on weekends sometimes and the less stiff, but still very capable suspension works well in that situation.

Wasn't a very hard decision which one to get for me. Once you figure out your needs it shouldn't be that hard for you either. These are two different cars offering two different experiences. At this point I think a used GT4 market and new 718 GTS market are pretty much on top of each other, price wise. Money probably won't be the decisive factor. I, personally, also think fixating on collectability to be silly. So, just list your priorities, take a few test drives and buy a car. Since you already have a Spyder and have had a Cayman S sounds like it should be particularly easy to decide.
I appreciate the great comments
The wing is also minor issue for me. It would have been nice to have an "incorporated" wing like the other Cayman models but again Im not a car engineer
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46 AM
jcorderojr
Rennlist Member

One more question: Why are so many people selling their GT4? When I started looking 4 months ago I counted about 100 used GT4 between Porsche auto locator/Autotrader/Car Gurus and here!!
I don't remember exact build numbers but if 1,000 of these came to North America then 10% are on sale???
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Just buy a 981 GTS and get the best of both worlds.

GT4's are for sale for several reasons. In some parts of the country they have something called 'winter'. For some reason, they quit driving during that time. Some want to sell before the new one is announced. Some just get bored and want the next new thing.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:54 AM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorderojr
One more question: Why are so many people selling their GT4?
Oh...That's easy also. If you look at the GT4 vs GT3 thread you will see that almost 100% of the people say the GT3 is infinitely better. GT4 sucks just like the 718 GTS ( OK I'm paraphrasing this) The real question is why are so many GT3's for sale. Can't go to a dealer without tripping over a new "used" GT3. It also hasn't escaped me that the 991.1 GT3's seem to be dipping quite a bit. I'm waiting for a panic soon. If this equity market falls another 5%, It'll be a tough choice between a 718 GTS and a 991.2 GTS. LOL..OK..so it is really sad but there is something that bothers me about people who fixate over the "collectability" of a new rather than vintage car....rant over...I hope!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:11 PM
jcorderojr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill

GT4's are for sale for several reasons. In some parts of the country they have something called 'winter'. For some reason, they quit driving during that time. Some want to sell before the new one is announced. Some just get bored and want the next new thing.
I just sold my 2015 Manual 981S.......Maybe I should have kept it.....I wanted something "new" with more power and GT4 has intrigued me since release.....
Old 12-06-2018, 12:12 PM
jcorderojr
Rennlist Member

You would think that the buyers of the GT4 would know about "winter" before buying the car!!!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

You would think that the buyers of the GT4 would know about "winter" before buying the car!!!!!
For me, winter is when it's finally cool enough to drop the top on the Boxster.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:30 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

One more question: Why are so many people selling their GT4? When I started looking 4 months ago I counted about 100 used GT4 between Porsche auto locator/Autotrader/Car Gurus and here!!
I don't remember exact build numbers but if 1,000 of these came to North America then 10% are on sale???
Several 918 and GT car owners bought GT4s. It was offered, they could afford it, and said why not. Many took advantage of the quick appreciation and flipped the cars. You still see these <1000 mile cars pooping up. People buy and sell, so those are quick to go.

Additionally, many buy the GT4 as a way to build relationships and to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation. So those cars are becoming available as well.

And finally there people selling off their GT4 now who want a 718 GT4 but are concerned the 981 will depreciate when the 718 is announced.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 244 Posts

An estimated 2100 were delivered in the US. https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8852...-database.html
Old 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

As noted, about 2063 GT4s in the US.

Yep

Originally Posted by iammacey
Several 918 and GT car owners bought GT4s. It was offered, they could afford it, and said why not. Many took advantage of the quick appreciation and flipped the cars. You still see these <1000 mile cars pooping up. People buy and sell, so those are quick to go.

Additionally, many buy the GT4 as a way to build relationships and to get a 991.2 GT3 allocation. So those cars are becoming available as well.

And finally there people selling off their GT4 now who want a 718 GT4 but are concerned the 981 will depreciate when the 718 is announced.
GT4s have been in owners hands for 2.5-3.5 yrs. Some owners have upgraded to GT3’s but I don’t see a large % of 981 owners moving to the 718 version.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 107 Posts

I just sold my 2015 Manual 981S.......Maybe I should have kept it.....I wanted something "new" with more power and GT4 has intrigued me since release.....
I did too and man am I having second thoughts about it. Not sure whether to buy another 981 (but maybe with x73), wait for a gt4, Spyder 987, or try a 911.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are looking for a DD I would buy a 718 GTS over the GT4. IMO, you have the Spyder. If you don't track, I don't think the GT4 is a great fit in your case. Even a CPO 991.2 base would be around the same price point.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
.................And finally there people selling off their GT4 now who want a 718 GT4 but are concerned the 981 will depreciate when the 718 is announced.
I agree that a few factors play in to the relatively large amount of GT4's that are currently for sale, but would have to think the main reason being the announcement of the 718 GT4. When it looked like the 981 GT4 was a one time deal, limited thing Porsche was doing, prices went nuts, and now prices are coming back to reality. FWIW, I just bought a GT4 2 weeks ago, despite knowing that the 718 GT4 will most likely be significantly better and might even hurt the value of my car. However, the way I see it is that if I wanted a 718 GT4, I would have to wait 1-2 years to get one, and then pay at least another $20-30k more from what I just paid. My guess is that Porsche will price the 718 GT4 15%-20% higher anyway (because they can and because that is what they have been doing), which will support current 981 GT4 prices where they are (10% below orignal MSRP for low mileage ones). That is my theory at least.

Think about it this way, even if you could get a new 718 GT4 at MSRP, chances are it will cost you ~$120k by the time you have it optioned the way you want. With that in mind, it is highly unlikely that a current, similar equipped GT4, would drop from the low $90k's where they are at the moment, because it would be too good of a deal, at 20-30k discount over the new one.

Another advantage of buying a GT4 now, will be that in if you do want to get in to a 718 in a year or two, you then have a good trade in for the dealer and might be able to move up on their list. Albeit you will be losing money on taxes and trade in to a stealer, but then again, you did own and got to enjoy a GT4 for a couple of years, and that should cost something.
For me the GT4 is a stepping stone to a GT3, but if the 718 were to prove to be better than expected, I might just get one of those down the road. Now that I have forked out the first ~$100k for a Porsche, moving up will be a lot easier, as I expect to always recoup at least about 80% of that initial "investment". This can't be said for many other cars, which is why buying a Porsche is a lot less risky.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 595 Likes on 292 Posts

I know you heard this before, but you really need some time in both cars to help make your decision. Like a couple of others above that wrote why they chose a 718 GTS over a GT4. I’m fairly new to the world of Porsche, since 2017. I grew up with American muscle having had Novas, Chevelles, Camaros and Corvettes since the early 70’s. I bought my wife a 718 Boxster almost 2 years ago and although I thought it sounded like a 62 Beetle, I grew to really like the car. Enough that I sold one of my Corvettes in order to buy my 718 GTS.

I had to make a choice between several cars, the 718 GTS, Carrera and a GT4 which were all in the same $100,000 ballpark. I eliminated the GT4 first because I was truthful to myself and knew that I could not be the driver that the GT4 deserved to have. I enjoy driving on the track and have hundreds of miles on several tracks in my ZL1 Camaro but I know I will never be the fastest person on the track. I eliminated the Carrera because I preferred to have a fully loaded GTS over a 911 with just a few options. Plus I still believe the Porsche mid engine design handles better than the rear engine 911 (JMO).

I spent time in a GTS at Atlanta PEC and realized that I did not need a faster car and that I would need to spend a lot of time on track to push the GTS close to its limits. You have a 981 Spyder which is a phenomenal and very special car. I’m not really sure how much you would like the 718 GTS sound over the GT4. You are used to the flat six sound in the Spyder and the GTS has a sound that is not as smooth.

I came into the Porsche world late and without any sound preferences between four and six cylinder cars but I will admit that the six does sound better than the four. I do believe that American V8’s sound the best of all. Having grown up with the high torque of V8’s, the GTS was an easy choice for me. It has the same 0-60 times of my ZL1 and the interior of a GT4. The GTS does sound a little better than my wife’s Boxster but I got used to the sound of her car pretty quickly and just enjoy driving both cars.

One more ore car to possibly consider would be the rumored GT4 Touring. A GT4 without a wing would be interesting. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by OldJedi; 12-09-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice GT4 vs 718GTS