GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018 | 11:11 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Much as I would love to see a GT4 RS, I don't believe it will happen. The simple reason is that the GT4 CS will exist and, despite the likelihood of no additional power and having the same engine, it kind of fits in a spot where an RS may lie, and which is likely priced at or below a base GT3. What can I say, other than I hope I am wrong.
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Much as I would love to see a GT4 RS, I don't believe it will happen. The simple reason is that the GT4 CS will exist and, despite the likelihood of no additional power and having the same engine, it kind of fits in a spot where an RS may lie, and which is likely priced at or below a base GT3. What can I say, other than I hope I am wrong.
Logically, Porsche will come out with a manual 718 GT4. It will have all the good stuff already on it. Thereby making it the top cayman and hard to improve on.

Porsche would need to add more options to the manual GT4 then just PDK to have the ***** to call it a RS.... And i cant see porsche adding a carbon bonnet/fenders or magnesium roof for the sake of Pricing it higher next to 911 territory.
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:39 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Logically, Porsche will come out with a manual 718 GT4. It will have all the good stuff already on it. Thereby making it the top cayman and hard to improve on.

Porsche would need to add more options to the manual GT4 then just PDK to have the ***** to call it a RS.... And i cant see porsche adding a carbon bonnet/fenders or magnesium roof for the sake of Pricing it higher next to 911 territory.
I'm pretty sure that people would be interested in a GT4 RS that simply added PDK-S and more power (just less de-tuning from the 520hp potential is easy). BTW, I am pretty sure that the GT3 (although released first) has the same engine as RS with 20hp and higher peak power rpm electronically tuned out of it...

Add stiffer springs, re-tuned shocks, and a flashy color with decals for good measure (maybe even fender flares and wider wheels/track). Not expensive for Porsche to build and a guaranteed audience with a higher price.
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:50 AM
otisdog
Pro

Logically, Porsche will come out with a manual 718 GT4. It will have all the good stuff already on it..
Well, except for the 80 or so 'missing' horsepower and the PDK/S....
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm pretty sure that people would be interested in a GT4 RS that simply added PDK-S and more power (just less de-tuning from the 520hp potential is easy). BTW, I am pretty sure that the GT3 (although released first) has the same engine as RS with 20hp and higher peak power rpm electronically tuned out of it...

Add stiffer springs, re-tuned shocks, and a flashy color with decals for good measure (maybe even fender flares and wider wheels/track). Not expensive for Porsche to build and a guaranteed audience with a higher price.
Yes, however the first released GT3 was not the wide body, had standard front fenders and no magnesium roof. It would have to be more then just transmission to warrant a RS badge on a GT4.

Porsche would have to add different shocks and body upgrades to the GT4 to warranty "RS" badges at which point the car "might" become too expensive to market for such a small limted run.
It would be really cool however.
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:57 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Porsche is good at getting into walletts.

Never say never.

They could do a bunch of things and someone will buy it: fenders, hood, PDK-S, CLs (), CS wing, forged wheels, power bump, LWBs, no rubber in suspension, etc, etc, all std.

Not saying it would happen but if a business case can be made; who knows.
Old 04-12-2018 | 11:59 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
I don't follow the logic here. The CS is a race car. It's in no way the equivalent of an RS, just like the RS isn't the same as a GT3 Cup.
Old 04-12-2018 | 12:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't follow the logic here. The CS is a race car. It's in no way the equivalent of an RS, just like the RS isn't the same as a GT3 Cup.
I think the presumption is that if the next GT4 is supposedly already "track focused", and the GT4CS is "exclusively track focused" , will that leave enough room for something inbetween?
It could very well hurt the non RS GT4 by making it looked sand bagged..... thereby having customers hold out for something better or not neccessaryly be as excited for the 718 GT4.

Also, do they have time to put out a 2019 GT4 this fall and sell them ALL up as a 2019 model and then find a window of time to lauch a GT4 RS before the 2019 model cut off without hurting potential GT4 sales?
Old 04-12-2018 | 12:37 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Is there really a concern about hurting any sales no matter what they do?

RS. No RS. They're gonna sell every single one they make.
Old 04-13-2018 | 05:25 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Five12Free

Thanks for the response. Your comment on the GT2RS engine is interesting considering Porsche claimed a two turbo flat 6 won’t fit in the 982 chasis... also seems late in the game for a mule with a flat 4 in a mule, as that was only a few weeks ago. You stated things change, so Maybe that means the decision isn’t made yet?
'Fit' is a very loose and subjective term in car sense.

For mass production, maybe it doesn't 'fit'

For a gear head engineer that wants to experiment, 'fit' is a completely new meaning.

Look no farther than the old American hot rods, it still 'fit' even when half the body work is cut away to make room, doesn't mean that car will be practical or durable.

We also didn't think a fact 6 engine could 'fit' in front of the rear axle, but Porsche did it and made the RSR.
Old 04-13-2018 | 08:22 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
'
We also didn't think a fact 6 engine could 'fit' in front of the rear axle, but Porsche did it and made the RSR.
There is actually loads of space in a 911 to move the engine forwards...look behind you sitting in a GT3 and (as the useless back seats are omitted) it's rather obvious. In the mid engine cars that space doesn't exist. The front seats are pretty much up against the firewall but most importantly there is just nowhere to put the turbos next to the block and then cool the charged air down without building a whole new chassis with different dimensions.

It's not possible for an engineer to just spend a few hours on this and drop in a 3.8TT for giggles, they'd have to spend considerable resources on it. It would be out of character.
Old 04-13-2018 | 08:32 AM
GT4 981
Racer

^^^ I've been saying this for a while now regarding fitment. It's easy to say it "doesn't fit" to steer people away but the original Carrera S motor didn't originally fit in the 981 either . Porsche can make it work if there is a financial argument. I hope the next gt4 is a 4.0 NA but I just can't see it happening looking at the big picture. I hope I'm wrong because I want that car despite what it will do to my current car's value.
Old 04-13-2018 | 10:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4 981
^^^ I've been saying this for a while now regarding fitment. It's easy to say it "doesn't fit" to steer people away but the original Carrera S motor didn't originally fit in the 981 either . Porsche can make it work if there is a financial argument. I hope the next gt4 is a 4.0 NA but I just can't see it happening looking at the big picture. I hope I'm wrong because I want that car despite what it will do to my current car's value.
The 3.0L turbo from the Carrera S has the turbos located in such a place that it is physcially too long to fit inside the 718 engine bay. The engineered design for the 911 wil not fit in the 718.

If porsche is in fact testing flat 6 turbos in the 718 body, they are for sure mounting the turbos and plumbing etc elsewhere in and around the engine bay for temporary use as it would require alot of redesign from the Carrera motor given the length the turbos added to the engine.
Old 04-13-2018 | 10:24 AM
GT4 981
Racer

^^ 100% agree but nothing is impossible and there may be an engineering argument to re-plumb and rework an existing motor configuration versus dumbing down a 4.0 L NA motor. The horsepower numbers of the current turbo S motor may meet the GT4's recipe as it did the first time around.

So much speculation on this topic and my guess is Porsche are mainly responsible for the leaks to date.
Old 04-13-2018 | 10:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4 981
^^ 100% agree but nothing is impossible and there may be an engineering argument to re-plumb and rework an existing motor configuration versus dumbing down a 4.0 L NA motor. The horsepower numbers of the current turbo S motor may meet the GT4's recipe as it did the first time around.

So much speculation on this topic and my guess is Porsche are mainly responsible for the leaks to date.
the 718 GT4 will not be turbo this time around.
It will be close to the 981 GT4 design and have enough power to run GT4 on the international circuit.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?