Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019 | 11:08 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
PS: Nobody with a six figure sports car should be considered poor. Poor people are worried that if their car breaks down that they won't be able to afford to fix it and then they could lose their job because they can't properly get to and from work. Working your butt off to afford a Porsche GT car is commendable but nobody should consider that person poor. You're not going to see a lot of poor people driving around brand new GT4s unless they're valet parkers at your local fancy hotel.
Well, there can be legitimate expectation that once you buy in you do not get ripped off in strongarming when something breaks. Porsche is of course not nearly as bad as Ferrari. Ferrari makes half of their profit of spare parts, and that doesn't include the dealer upsale of parts and labor. That's pretty whacked out.

But Porsche options can have unforseen implications. For example, if you buy a colored instrument cluster you pay $860 something. If your instrument cluster breaks out of warranty a new black one is $3000. But a colored one is $4000. That's leaving the reasonable expectations zone for me.
Old 06-23-2019 | 11:09 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Last edited by GeoJoe; 06-23-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2019 | 01:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by squid42

But Porsche options can have unforseen implications. For example, if you buy a colored instrument cluster you pay $860 something. If your instrument cluster breaks out of warranty a new black one is $3000. But a colored one is $4000. That's leaving the reasonable expectations zone for me.
While I agree with your sentiments* your example actually makes sense in a way. You're saying that on a new car "upgrading" from the black to the red instrument dials costs $860 (all the rest of the instrument cluster is the same and is baked into the MSRP), and doing so as a replacement part costs $1000 (only $140 more than that upgrade costs as a new, factory installed part.) That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The $3000/4000 figures are for more than just the colored dials -- that's for the motors and needles and LED screens and whatever other gizmos are back there making magic. At least that was the case when I needed a new IP for a 996TT a few years ago (and it was about $2200, iirc).

* For instance: I had a 991 GTS; hated black wheels, but that was the only way the CenterLocks came. Looked into just getting 5-spokes in silver. That was a "no cost" option, meaning it didn't cost you but you didnt' get any cash back for opting out of the pricey CLs. But if you wanted to ADD CLs to a car they were optional on (991 Turbo) it was over $4000. So I wound up taking the CLs just because I was damned if I was going to pay for $4000 CLs and then just donate them back to Porsche. Had them painted (see avatar.)
Old 06-23-2019 | 01:42 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
* For instance: I had a 991 GTS; hated black wheels, but that was the only way the CenterLocks came. Looked into just getting 5-spokes in silver. That was a "no cost" option, meaning it didn't cost you but you didnt' get any cash back for opting out of the pricey CLs. But if you wanted to ADD CLs to a car they were optional on (991 Turbo) it was over $4000. So I wound up taking the CLs just because I was damned if I was going to pay for $4000 CLs and then just donate them back to Porsche. Had them painted (see avatar.)
Many have paid $3k to replace the (mandatory) CL's on their 997.2 GT3/RS with 5-lugs after-market.
Old 06-23-2019 | 02:10 PM
emix75
Advanced

Interview with Markus Atz responsible for the engine in the new GT4/Spyder.

-No electric GT cars in the foreseeable future
-N/A to continue, electric cars help offset the average fleet emissions

Old 06-23-2019 | 02:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Relish these years. because the normally aspirated engine will soon be a thing of the past.

My guess is that the 992 series (or 992.2) will be the last of the normally aspirated GT cars. And there is a chance that the 992 GT cars will be turbo!

In four years time, the replacement GT4 might very well be turbo as well. This could be the last we see of a NA GT4.

Porsche will most likely keep their Cup cars NA as long as they can as they are not road legal. So the next 7 years for sure.

Normally aspirated 991 GT cars and 981 GT cars will go up in value when turbo is only option.
Old 06-23-2019 | 02:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by emix75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuB6vclKZoc
When will we get the US version of these videos?
Old 06-23-2019 | 03:52 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Many have paid $3k to replace the (mandatory) CL's on their 997.2 GT3/RS with 5-lugs after-market.
As would I, most likely, if I had them on a car i track frequently. But the GTS was a street sports car only for me. I only tracked it once, just to explore the limits a little bit. Even still, I drove around with the wrench set in the backseat floorboard. Only took them off once, to paint them. What a freaking pain in the ***. Talk about creating problems where there had been none before…

But MAN do they look good!
Old 06-23-2019 | 04:14 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
While I agree with your sentiments* your example actually makes sense in a way. You're saying that on a new car "upgrading" from the black to the red instrument dials costs $860 (all the rest of the instrument cluster is the same and is baked into the MSRP), and doing so as a replacement part costs $1000 (only $140 more than that upgrade costs as a new, factory installed part.) That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The $3000/4000 figures are for more than just the colored dials -- that's for the motors and needles and LED screens and whatever other gizmos are back there making magic. At least that was the case when I needed a new IP for a 996TT a few years ago (and it was about $2200, iirc).

I don't object to the $3000 base price for the black instrument cluster.

I object that choosing a colored cluster today sets you up for a future $1000 in increased repair bill. That's a bit of a trap there. Even though the parts cost increase isn't much more than the option cost it is still a dick move, especially since the buyer doesn't know and probably doesn't expect it.

It gets worse with some other options. Paying $8000-$10000 for PCCB for the entire car is one thing. But replacements are what $5000 per corner? That taste too much like a deliberate trap to me.

Porsche not "refunding" the money on standard options you de-select I have no problem with. It probably creates actual logistical effort with a high per-car overhead since few people do that. And it is upfront. At buying time you know what you get, what you pay for it, and whether there is a "refund". It's not a trap.
Old 06-23-2019 | 04:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
When will we get the US version of these videos?
Keep listening,it's in English...
Old 06-23-2019 | 04:31 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Off topic, of course, but "rich" is definitely a relative term. I may be well off to very well off compared to the population as a whole, but by no means do I consider myself to be "rich." My guess is that many GT4 owners feel similarly, though there are no doubt many exceptions.
Yup.
I feel "poor" every time I take a look at that "Show Us Your Garage Thread"
Old 06-23-2019 | 06:25 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by emix75

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuB6vclKZoc

Thanks for posting the video...sooooooo...a few notes:

1. All the test mules had the 4.0 liter 9A2 from the start
2. They reused a lot of parts on the engine to take it to 4.0 liters...no wonder (intake looks a lot like an X51)
3. The bump in displacement was not only for the marketing guys but also to meet current and future emissions.
4. They DO research what people are commenting on future products....so be careful what you wish for in RL!!!!
Old 06-24-2019 | 11:15 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Performance is similar to 2016 car as well. Car seems to be slow. Looks like they needed to protect the GT3. Next GT3 should be a beast.
Old 06-24-2019 | 11:16 AM
Johnauto
Racer

Originally Posted by squid42
I would love to see downforce numbers for those two. Well, in the case of the Spyder it probably is upforce, but anyway. Gravity is pretty strong.

I just woke up to realize that there was a really nasty price hike from 2016 to 2020. I am not sure I see the additional value compared to 2016. This is very expensive for a car that is essentially very cheap construction - manual gearbox, simple strut front and back, not very wide or long wheelbase. Etc.
Performance is similar to 2016 car as well. Car seems to be slow. Looks like they needed to protect the GT3. Next GT3 should be a beast.
Old 06-24-2019 | 02:58 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Johnauto
Why is the car slow?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?