Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019 | 06:38 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Cherry picked a comment from your long post. I take umbrage with your comment about pretend cars...Not sure that I think you are accurate by describing the GT4 and GT3 as pretend cars. I believe, as I am sure most do here, that the GT3 and GT4 are some of the finest sports car manufactured and marketed worldwide. No, they are not race cars, they are excellent sports cars, but calling them "pretend" is unfair and and just plain wrong.
I think groundhog just meant "pretend racecar"; I don't see how he could have meant anything else in the context of the quote. And since you yourself agree that "no, they are not race cars," and since they look all wingy and lowered and splittered like a racecar (which they're not according to all of us), the case could be reasonably made that they are pretend race cars, looking like that which they are not.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not sure I agree with him either -- they look like they do NOT because they're trying to look like race cars but because they're trying to BE the best actual trackday non-racecars they can be -- but I wouldn't take umbrage at someone who felt the other way. It's not a far fetched proposition in my opinion.

Cheers! (And I still love your two 991s immensely!)
Old 01-20-2019 | 06:54 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

I think groundhog just meant "pretend racecar"; I don't see how he could have meant anything else in the context of the quote. And since you yourself agree that "no, they are not race cars," and since they look all wingy and lowered and splittered like a racecar (which they're not according to all of us), the case could be reasonably made that they are pretend race cars, looking like that which they are not.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not sure I agree with him either -- they look like they do NOT because they're trying to look like race cars but because they're trying to BE the best actual trackday non-racecars they can be -- but I wouldn't take umbrage at someone who felt the other way. It's not a far fetched proposition in my opinion.

Cheers! (And I still love your two 991s immensely!)
I respectfully disagree with your disagreement

That dude has been on this board straight up lying and making false statements about stuff for the past few months. According to him he is a professional race driver with his 991.2 . He’s definitely talking about a street car you can track.
Old 01-20-2019 | 07:26 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Five12Free

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement

That dude has been on this board straight up lying and making false statements about stuff for the past few months. According to him he is a professional race driver with his 991.2 . He’s definitely talking about a street car you can track.
Fair enough. I don't judge people's words by their online personas -- which I usually don't care enough about to actually learn. I judge their words in the context of the discussion, and I think the words "pretend racecar" for GT3 and GT4 could be warranted regardless of who says them, and that a lot of people might use that language. The wing and aggressive splitter can be a tough sell on a streetcar.
Old 01-20-2019 | 07:53 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Fair enough. I don't judge people's words by their online personas -- which I usually don't care enough about to actually learn. I judge their words in the context of the discussion, and I think the words "pretend racecar" for GT3 and GT4 could be warranted regardless of who says them, and that a lot of people might use that language. The wing and aggressive splitter can be a tough sell on a streetcar.
It's sad that the people talking the most in this post happen to know the least ?
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:23 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Right lets put a few things straight here

Originally Posted by Nacelle
Cherry picked a comment from your long post. I take umbrage with your comment about pretend cars...Not sure that I think you are accurate by describing the GT4 and GT3 as pretend cars. I believe, as I am sure most do here, that the GT3 and GT4 are some of the finest sports car manufactured and marketed worldwide. No, they are not race cars, they are excellent sports cars, but calling them "pretend" is unfair and and just plain wrong.
(1) . The terms referred to above were used by whoopsy and I directed my comments towards those terms. The GT3 and GT4 are indeed fine sports cars.

(2) . Never ever claimed to be any sort of professional driver - but am a very active amateur at state level (track) and active in road rallying state - national level - all timed and under the national body (using 2 different vehicles)

You are really bizarre, words fail me - and in regard to the car I was very clear about this - I was talking about a different type of vehicle that could be a cross over entry vehicle to motorsport. I was referencing this to specific regulations. One of the reasons I think this is a good idea is a vehicle of this type could be a good entry level vehicle for a lot of people in to real timed motorsport - a very good base car.

Finally there is a whole world of motorsport out there - in different countries run under different governing bodies.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-20-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:30 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
It's sad that the people talking the most in this post happen to know the least ?
LOL, not sure if you mean me, since you quoted me, but if you do, you'd be right -- I actually know nothing about the 718GT4. But then, I've contributed nothing to this thread, so that balances it out.
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:35 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Well spoken !
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:41 PM
groundhog
Race Car

...........and what does that mean, there is a whole world out there beyond the US. A whole world of motorsport beyond Porsche. A whole range of competitions run at many levels that have different regs and supp regs. The track is not the be all and end all of motorsport, it is one of many disciplines. Even on track thats the case e.g. W2W, regularity, sprints, time attack, P2P that includes track and road combined plus even cross over stuff like traditional rally cross (not GRC).

Most importantly without grassroots motorsports, and without people coming through there will be even less professional motorsport. By grassroots I mean genuine entry level timed motorsport (- not DE type stuff) and because of this - less business for you.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-21-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the race car discussion and rally car discussion to another thread.
Old 01-20-2019 | 08:52 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the race car discussion and rally car discussion to another thread.
Fine by me - note the whole discussion was centred around the 718GT4 . Also there was some stuff clearly taken out of context that needed to be straightened out.

Back to normal programming its a 4L and PDK will be offered.
Old 01-20-2019 | 09:30 PM
GP Racing
Advanced

Originally Posted by groundhog

Back to normal programming its a 4L and PDK will be offered.

Correct
Old 01-20-2019 | 09:36 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Right lets put a few things straight here

(1) . The terms referred to above were used by whoopsy and I directed my comments towards those terms.
(2) . Never ever claimed to be any sort of professional driver - but am a very active amateur at state level (track) and active in road rallying state - national level - all timed and under the national body (using 2 different vehicles)

You are really bizarre - I was very clear about this - I was talking about a different type of vehicle that could be a cross over entry vehicle to motorsport. I was referencing this to specific regulations. One of the reasons I think this is a good idea is a vehicle of this type could be a good entry level vehicle for a lot of people in to real timed motorsport - a very good base car.

Finally there is a whole world of motorsport out there - in different countries run under different governing bodies.
dude just go away... no one cares.
Old 01-20-2019 | 09:42 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Well frankly I do, when you take something out of context and spin it a certain way. So lets try and keep it civil.

So - 4l with PDK offered, car will be formally released in Geneva 7th to 12th March (at Palexpo) with some level of pre-release info flowing before then.

Plenty of interesting discussions around the 718 GT4 - e.g. discussion around variants and potential variants or even concepts given there is no new news and there isn't going to be anything until the car is released other than some pre-release teasers as always.

Last edited by groundhog; 01-23-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2019 | 10:16 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

You can block posters. I did.
Old 01-22-2019 | 03:08 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Not GT4 specific, but anyone has the basic air-conditioning? I want to go as light as possible with extra's. Using my 968 has learned me that I can very well do without most of the modern gadgetry that came with my loaded 981 dealer demo car. Hence, I am wondering if the automated dual-zone airco is a must @ about 830€. I cannot even find a picture of the basic airco!

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?