Sponsored by: APR

718 GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 01:44 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I couldn't care less about GT4 laptimes - I was interested in the increased torque and HP the 4l X51 would have developed. Unfortunately this is unlikely to happen. The x51 and current GT4 is not up to snuff for what I want to do and want to achieve. Its a simple as that. Yes I could buy a GT3, however round a Targa course the GT4 is much more forgiving and less prone to offs.

I was looking for a fit for purpose vehicle and it needs to have the capability to do the job, first off it needs to be able to be road registered so a "clubsport" is not in the mix (as per the regs).

In my opinion the Porsche GT division has moved away from its mandate.
X51 3.8L with or without the 4.0L stroke would not make or break a targa stage.
Porsche offer the clubsport bolt-in roll bar for those who wish to rally or race their road registered vehicle. This would allow you to run a GT4, GT3RS or GT2RS in a tarmac rally. Porsche is one of the only manufactures to offer this. So even though their mandate is to sell competition cars for racing and sell performance cars for street, they still have motorsport options for the GT cars.
(You should be able to run Targa Newfoundland and Targa New Zealand with a GT4 clubsport or Cup car. However Targa Tasmania require road registered vehicles.)

You could take a street GT4 and develop it with Clubsport parts depending on the class you run. Clubsport motorsport parts would be brakes, aero, doors, seats etc.
PDK would be the only thing missing which would be nice to have for competition.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:27 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
X51 3.8L with or without the 4.0L stroke would not make or break a targa stage.
Porsche offer the clubsport bolt-in roll bar for those who wish to rally or race their road registered vehicle. This would allow you to run a GT4, GT3RS or GT2RS in a tarmac rally. Porsche is one of the only manufactures to offer this. So even though their mandate is to sell competition cars for racing and sell performance cars for street, they still have motorsport options for the GT cars.
(You should be able to run Targa Newfoundland and Targa New Zealand with a GT4 clubsport or Cup car. However Targa Tasmania require road registered vehicles.)

You could take a street GT4 and develop it with Clubsport parts depending on the class you run. Clubsport motorsport parts would be brakes, aero, doors, seats etc.
PDK would be the only thing missing which would be nice to have for competition.
At least for the US, the mount points needed to install the CS roll bar are missing from the GT models.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d00d
At least for the US, the mount points needed to install the CS roll bar are missing from the GT models.
Indeed, north american cars do not come with the mounts.
I suspect Groundhog is in a country or a position to run a tarmac rally therefore being from outside north america.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 2,836 Posts

I couldn't care less about GT4 laptimes - I was interested in the increased torque and HP the 4l X51 would have developed.
At best, the additional torque of the 4.0 would have been due to the additional 200cc of displacement and its proportional increase of 5% across the rev range. At worst, there would have been zero increase in peak torque (because the gearbox for the GT4 is already at its maximum torque rating of 420 Nm or 310 ft-lbs), since Porsche would likely limit it. Pretty hard to feel a 5% difference anyway though...
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 120 Posts

Well there are plenty of us that are interested in lap times and use our cars for that purpose.
I couldn't care less about GT4 laptimes - I was interested in the increased torque and HP the 4l X51 would have developed.
which is it???
Old 09-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Any word on the rennsport car reveal that was happening at 1pm pst?
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Its this.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ars-16163.html
Old 09-27-2018, 06:17 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Any word on the rennsport car reveal that was happening at 1pm pst?
MOBY DICK IS BACK!

Yep...there was the sighting of a great white whale!
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Cool
77 of them
Should be easy to obtain

Have the rennsport app but nothing showing . Thanks for the link
Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMMY JAMES
Sweet! I got a pic with Moby Dick back at RRIV...leaving tomorrow morning to see this bad boy in the flesh!
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 646 Posts

Not 9000 miles .....
Totally dependant on state of tune and it would be going in circles round a GT4
Old 09-28-2018, 12:14 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Five12Free
which is it???

The only interest I have is they - laptimes - show/highlight the performance characteristics or lack thereof.

A small proportion of us actually use our cars in a variety of competitions and therefore have somewhat different views to the DE crowd.

My expectations are simple - the base is fit for purpose - based on the current information, the proposed 718 GT4 does not meet my needs nor does it match my expectations.

I'm not interested in deviated stitching or PTS I'm interested in a robust engine with good mid-range and top end mated with a good reliable dual clutch transmission sitting in a nice rigid chassis with well sized braked - a good starting point.

The GT4 should be this car, it could be this car, but it wont be.

Last edited by groundhog; 09-28-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Totally dependant on state of tune and it would be going in circles round a GT4
Not exactly...
State of tune is funny comment. Cosworth would be a race motor on race fuel... With rebuild intervals. You dont go out a beat on a cosworth for 9000 miles of racing... not one that can run "circles" around a GT4 anyhow....
GT4 is a street production motor. You throw them away and stick in a new engine when need be. Cheaper then a cosworth and desiged to run in "GT4" with other production cars..
Old 09-28-2018, 12:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The only interest I have is they - laptimes - show/highlight the performance characteristics or lack thereof.

A small proportion of us actually use our cars in a variety of competitions and therefore have somewhat different views to the DE crowd.

My expectations are simple - the base is fit for purpose - based on the current information, the proposed 718 GT4 does not meet my needs nor does it match my expectations.

I'm not interested in deviated stitching or PTS I'm interested in a robust engine with good mid-range and top end mated with a good reliable dual clutch transmission sitting in a nice rigid chassis with well sized braked - a good starting point.

The GT4 should be this car, it could be this car, but it wont be.
autocross? rally?

Far as I know that is pretty much it for street cars worth talking about? What else would you be into to that require more then what the GT4 is?
Old 09-28-2018, 12:46 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Not exactly...
State of tune is funny comment. Cosworth would be a race motor on race fuel... With rebuild intervals. You dont go out a beat on a cosworth for 9000 miles of racing... not one that can run "circles" around a GT4 anyhow....
GT4 is a street production motor. You throw them away and stick in a new engine when need be. Cheaper then a cosworth and desiged to run in "GT4" with other production cars..
Not really its absolutely correct - if you run it rated at 600HP and do X hours that changes the timing of the rebuild schedule Vs run it rated at 400HP and Y hours. Cosworth EJ long block ~ 15K and you can run them on pump fuel through to race fuel using flexfuel tuning options.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4?