Your Prediction: NEXT GT4 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Ajw45,

all good logic, including PDK.

Which begs another question.... PDK or PDK-S?

seem to me the latter would make getting a 718 GT4 with PDK far more attractive and would also help the car perform a a lot better vs its competitors despite not being a turbo.

but I think I’d stick with the manual.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Porsche if you're listening, I think offering a powerkit GTS 430 hp would be great, but even better would be to offer a powerkit and warranty for the current owners.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

If you've run on track with a similar driver in a 718S, you know that for the next GT4 to be as much better than the current 718S/GTS as the 981 GT4 was better than the 981S/GTS, it's going to need EITHER a tuned (and 2.8?) turbo 4 (we're told the turbo6 won't fit) or a GT3 motor. The upcoming GT3 is already struggling to stay ahead of a 911GTS in a drag race.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Also, the idea that Porsche is going to reopen the line to build 2015/2016 X51 3.8s 2+years after relegating that engine to the dustbin of history seems about as likely as powering the next GT4 with the motor from the 993 RS3.8.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:58 PM
ajw45
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
If you've run on track with a similar driver in a 718S, you know that for the next GT4 to be as much better than the current 718S/GTS as the 981 GT4 was better than the 981S/GTS, it's going to need EITHER a tuned (and 2.8?) turbo 4 (we're told the turbo6 won't fit) or a GT3 motor. The upcoming GT3 is already struggling to stay ahead of a 911GTS in a drag race.
If Porsche is okay letting the .2 GTS nip at the heels of .2 GT3 I'm guessing that will hold true for the 718 GTS/GT4 too. That's where pdk will come in, the GT4 will need to make up for the torque deficit in other places like weight, rubber, brakes, suspension, and aero to put down a magazine friendly lap time.

This feels like a transition generation, like the years when the BMW M3 was a NA V8 but the new turbo 335 was just a tune away from being faster in a straight line. By the 992 we'll probably be turbo or hybrid across the range and order will be restored.....
Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
If Porsche is okay letting the .2 GTS nip at the heels of .2 GT3 I'm guessing that will hold true for the 718 GTS/GT4 too. That's where pdk will come in, the GT4 will need to make up for the torque deficit in other places like weight, rubber, brakes, suspension, and aero to put down a magazine friendly lap time.

This feels like a transition generation, like the years when the BMW M3 was a NA V8 but the new turbo 335 was just a tune away from being faster in a straight line. By the 992 we'll probably be turbo or hybrid across the range and order will be restored.....
Good logic.

I’m positive the 718 GT4 will be NA. However, all bets are off for the next all new generation.

Re engines, I think the 3.8 from the 991.1 GTS makes sense, unless they can make a detuned 4.0 cheaply. Porsche will insist on their profit margin.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:29 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

In a post here on the racing/DE forum the GT4CS next gen was discussed. It would be a fair assumption that the road going GT version was co-developed at the same time. It is therefore highly unlikely that two different engines would be deployed. Find someone with PMNA ties and you'll have a partial answer.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:01 AM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope its a 4 banger so our 981 GT4's can appreciate in value lol
Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I followed a pro driving a 718S at Buttonwillow. The car was quite capable and lost me (although I think the national champion driver might have been part of it too).
Old 10-30-2017, 03:01 AM
ktrainman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Detuned 4L GT3 engine with a significant bump in price makes the most sense because it would be the most cost effective way to stay NA. Most cost effective option would be a more powerful turbo 4 but thankfully it doesn’t looks like that’s the plan.

Detuning the new 4L for the GT4 has be cheaper than building the old 9A1 again. If it had something around 997.1 or .2 GT3 power levels for 100k it would be safely slower than the 991.2 GT3 but still have the visceral excitement missing in then previous GT4.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:31 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

The current 3.8L engine has plenty more on the table, just from simple bolt-ons.

Not sure why this isn't plausible or not cost effective. The engine blocks/parts supply already exist. If they can eek out a other generation that will sell, but with minimal powerplant R&D, why wouldn't they?

Im still not convinced (despite the scuttlebutt) that it won't be a Turbo motor, given the new efficiency standards.

These are still fun to speculate, but I will continue to enjoy my 981 GT4 immensely.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

^^ In my experience, manufacturing doesn't work that way. Setting up all the parts suppliers, casting the blocks, assembling motors, emissions and fuel economy testing for various markets, etc. are a mighty big undertaking for a very limited-production, $85k MSRP sportscar. I suspect it would be cheaper to just throw the very expensive GT3 motor in the GT4 than to create a separate motor for the GT4 that doesn't exist anywhere else.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
jrbkarter
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
In a post here on the racing/DE forum the GT4CS next gen was discussed. It would be a fair assumption that the road going GT version was co-developed at the same time. It is therefore highly unlikely that two different engines would be deployed. Find someone with PMNA ties and you'll have a partial answer.
100% This. All you have to do is look at the current Clubsport and all of the GT4 series entries from different manufacturers that will be legal and running next year...and then connect the dots. The Clubsport has been significantly more successful than expected, by Motorsport and Porsche AG, but it's obvious it's been underpowered this year and will only be more so next year. The whole idea of the CS is to be a very closely related to the street car "bargain/entry level" Porsche race car so having something major, like an engine, be bespoke, would be unheard of. Since it's pretty much a given that the the 718 CS will be running the 4.0L from the 991.2 GT3, though more than likely slightly detuned, there's your first major hint. Second- it's been confirmed by multiple sources multiple times the GT4 will remain NA "for the forseeable future" there's your second major hint. I'd expect the street car to very very closely mimic the CS so expect in the range of 430-450hp from the 4.0L.

There are only two real questions that remain in my mind- 1) will it be the 718 GT4 or GT4RS 2) will it be offered with PDK in the street car.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbkarter
100% This. All you have to do is look at the current Clubsport and all of the GT4 series entries from different manufacturers that will be legal and running next year...and then connect the dots. The Clubsport has been significantly more successful than expected, by Motorsport and Porsche AG, but it's obvious it's been underpowered this year and will only be more so next year. The whole idea of the CS is to be a very closely related to the street car "bargain/entry level" Porsche race car so having something major, like an engine, be bespoke, would be unheard of. Since it's pretty much a given that the the 718 CS will be running the 4.0L from the 991.2 GT3, though more than likely slightly detuned, there's your first major hint. Second- it's been confirmed by multiple sources multiple times the GT4 will remain NA "for the forseeable future" there's your second major hint. I'd expect the street car to very very closely mimic the CS so expect in the range of 430-450hp from the 4.0L.

There are only two real questions that remain in my mind- 1) will it be the 718 GT4 or GT4RS 2) will it be offered with PDK in the street car.
Lets throw a monkey wrench into that equation. Why not offer both; base and RS. Kind of like the GT3 and GT3T or like the GT2RS with and without WP. The RS could be a package that gives one the PDK (actually PDK-S preferred) whereas the base would retain the manual.

There I go again. Giving PAG (readers) a way to get more $.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:21 PM
twentyseven
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

The problem (for Porsche) with a GT4RS is that would cross into the price/performance categories of a GT3. Porsche will want the CS to be competitive and future proof it for at least two seasons to thus sell well as 911 race cars are getting too expensive for entry level guys.

Take note of production figures for GT3 and GT4. They are similar enough that 'doubling' the order for 4.0 engines brings the cost down and increases their margin on the 991 cars... bringing back the 3.8 9A1 isn't going to happen. Nor will the next GT4 will be 4cyl turbo. It's already been said by the brass in not so many words.

Quick Reply: Your Prediction: NEXT GT4 Engine