Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Clubsport “low maintenance”?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:42 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

Is the 992 GT3 Cup similarly low maintenance?
Old 02-22-2022, 10:44 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

assuming that was a serious question, i believe the answer is "NO" (or not even close). There are many in other threads of the forum that can give you a clue as to running costs of running a Cup car.
The following users liked this post:
mikew968 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 10:49 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
Is the 992 GT3 Cup similarly low maintenance?
LOL not even remotely.
mikew968 (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Admittedly, my search skills isn’t great. My quick search didn’t get me to specifics yet.

What makes the GT3 Cup a lot more expensive to run? Remember, I am talking about mellow driving of the car during private track days. Same engine, similar transmission, similar suspension, no?

A race team, I understand the higher the tier, cost increase super linearly.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:51 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Upon a bit of digging, is the 992 GT3 Cup synthetic fuel only? If so, I now understand one aspect of significantly higher running cost.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:08 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 263 Posts

Upon a bit of digging, is the 992 GT3 Cup synthetic fuel only? If so, I now understand one aspect of significantly higher running cost.
I'm sure it is not. Porsches project in South America to produce such fuel is not started. Historically, the largest difference for Cup is the recommended rebuild schedule for the transmission and engine. Just my 2c but why don't you pick up a used 718 GT4 Clubsport and get going while waiting for a RS CS?
Old 02-23-2022, 12:10 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

^^ that is good advice.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:14 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zedcat
I'm sure it is not. Porsches project in South America to produce such fuel is not started. Historically, the largest difference for Cup is the recommended rebuild schedule for the transmission and engine. Just my 2c but why don't you pick up a used 718 GT4 Clubsport and get going while waiting for a RS CS?
Thanks. Looks like 992 GT3 Cup is 60 hours for transmission inspection and 120 hours for rebuild. Engine is 100 hours for both cars. Since it’ll be mellow driving, I’d expect I can stretch it longer (after a cycle at the recommended interval to discover actual wear).

Good recommendation and question. I’m timing it with the opening of a new track with track side storage facility. Plus, I like the extra excitement of new toys and knowing the full history first hand.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:15 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

“mellow driving” LOLz.
The following 2 users liked this post by whojoemama:
BlueGT3 (02-28-2022), Jamaica2G (10-28-2023)
Old 02-23-2022, 02:03 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Thanks. Looks like 992 GT3 Cup is 60 hours for transmission inspection and 120 hours for rebuild. Engine is 100 hours for both cars. Since it’ll be mellow driving, I’d expect I can stretch it longer (after a cycle at the recommended interval to discover actual wear).

Good recommendation and question. I’m timing it with the opening of a new track with track side storage facility. Plus, I like the extra excitement of new toys and knowing the full history first hand.
Bud don't take this the wrong way....but you need to get realistic on this.
Jamaica2G (10-28-2023)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:11 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thuggo
Bud don't take this the wrong way....but you need to get realistic on this.
I appreciate the feedback. Realistic in terms of cost or needing a full crew?

Expensive service, parts, and labor are expected. I mostly want to see if I can expect a prepared car, drive “mellow” for the day without a crew.

I would be lucky to get 2 hours on the car per day. That’s 30 days until transmission inspection. Tires, brakes, pre & post track inspections aren’t concerning.

Hope this helps convey what I am after and expecting.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:13 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whojoemama
“mellow driving” LOLz.
Well, this is spot on. This is the biggest risk to my whole plan.

I think I can have fun without chasing lap times or w2w racing. But I might be unrealistic on this aspect.
Jamaica2G (10-28-2023)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

ForeverCar...Cup cars are like shifter karts they don't like to be run Mellow. They need to be in a certain manner, shifted at a certain RPM range etc. Plus a cup car can and will bite you a lot easier for a mistake than something like a GT4. The slower the car to start with the faster a driver you will become.
Jerrym (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 05:27 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 263 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. Realistic in terms of cost or needing a full crew?

Expensive service, parts, and labor are expected. I mostly want to see if I can expect a prepared car, drive “mellow” for the day without a crew.

I would be lucky to get 2 hours on the car per day. That’s 30 days until transmission inspection. Tires, brakes, pre & post track inspections aren’t concerning.

Hope this helps convey what I am after and expecting.
For what you describe, I would say a qualified "yes" for a Clubsport. I don't know if there are things unique to the RS CS though (other than the engine/ trans time out). For me going from street Porsche GTs to the 718 Clubsport there was incremental effort needed, but not extreme. For example, I needed to learn some basics of the Cosworth software to upload setups to the dash (via ethernet cable). I have pumped out the fuel cell a few times. My FEV fire bottle is timed out and I need to get it recertified or replaced. Things like that. I don't have the Motorsport PIWIS version and have the car serviced at the dealer for items needing that. Just had the 2 yr PDK fluid service done. If the RS is similar then you could likely self support for a track day. I have a friend that drives a 997 cup on his own. I also met a driver a few years ago that had one of the PCA edition 991 Cups and he had a buddy helping with tires etc, but otherwise self supporting.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,973 Likes on 1,746 Posts

+1 on the difficulty of safely performing "mello" laps on a purpose-built, high-level GT car like a 992 GT3 Cup. Just talking from a driving perspective.

The more high strung a GT car is (cams, compression, throttle mapping, racing brake pads, rotors and hydraulic ratios, gearing, general lack of suspension compliance, not to mention slicks, real ones), the more it needs to be driven with enough controlled aggression, almost violence, compared to what most track day drivers are used to, JUST in order to get the tire temps, brake temps, traction and transitional handling up to a level that ensures predictable behavior.

Not saying an enthusiast jumping in the deep end with one of these couldn't go very easy, just saying it wouldn't be very much fun, and it would entail some risk on-track. Now, get GOING and the car comes alive and actually drives better, with more predictible grip and braking power. Smoother, too.

The GT4 level cars (specifically the 981 and 718 GT4 ClubSports, less so for the RS ClubSport) are much more accommodating of the kind of casual use, even up to what most amateur drivers would consider significant pace, that they're likely to see at track days, club days and DE use. Definitely lower maintenance and longer intervals between component lifing. Even though the 981 GT4 CS series are getting on in years, they still hold up well.

As pointed out, the GT4 car is a great training ground for the "big" car, which is basically a GT3 (worldwide specification) one make car without BoP restrictions.

I see a fair number of self-maintained (at the track, sent to shops periodically) GT4 cars and a few previous gen GT3 Cups at the track. David, Erez and Kevin go (or will go) to the track with minimal support and on their own in their 992 GT3 Cups, but all three have some significant experience in street/factory-built racing Porsches, and all three of their cars will spend many more hours on the car in the garage or shop for every hour they're on track.

Good luck!

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-23-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Clubsport “low maintenance”?