Notices

IYO, is it possible to be a 'minimalist' and own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
TheLastTemplar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IYO, is it possible to be a 'minimalist' and own a Porsche?

I have recently stumbled upon this lifestyle, when viewing unrelated videos on Youtube. Basically, minimalism seems to be a small niche, but growing. I have taken an interest in this and it looks and sounds logical and a good way to live. The main focus of this is lifestyle is "less is more", meaning less materialistic tendencies or things, the better. And focus is away from large houses, fancy cars, clothes, etc. It's to focus on relationships and friendships, as opposed to obtaining the next big ticket item.

I don't own many things as it is, because I don't make enough but I never fancied the exotic and extravagant things such as mansions or large boats, etc.

I DO however, have a fancy for nice restaurants, clothes, watches ($1000 or less) and sports cars--911 being my dream car.

I sincerely want to try this lifestyle since it's something I have been doing unconsciously for a better part of 5 years or so. I don't care about owning a large home, but I do need a garage for one motorcycle and one car. I'm considering living off the grid in the future, and have someone build a timber house and save on housing costs and maintenance.

Since a 911 is something many can do without, I am wondering if it's possible to own a car like this while being a minimalist, in every other aspect in daily living?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Wufnu
8th Gear

It seems counter intuitive. The things you like are all luxuries. Almost a pure antithesis for simple living. If you want to live as a minimalist, you should get just enough to be practical. Fun should not be a factor. If you want to eat at nice restaurants, wear nice clothes and fancy watches, and drive a 911... I don't think the minimalist lifestyle is for you.

On the other hand, who cares? Be true to yourself and live the life you want. Don't live a life prescribed by a magazine.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 AM
HFDesignworks
Instructor

A friend of mine had a saying that every possession is a ball and chain. People buy 911s for a variety of reasons. On the surface it seems counterintuitive to the minimalist lifestyle but we all have our reasons and ways for doing things and in the end its your life to live, and in the manner you decide.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 AM
TheLastTemplar
Advanced

I always dreamed of getting a supercar but for reasons like meeting people and making friends, and going to fancy restaurants in a hot car.

However, I realize I can still do that with a Porsche 996 or 997 and so I am still dreaming of one and to own one day.

I didn't read about minimalism in a magazine-- from a few blogs/websites, actually. And I am sure magazines will never promote this kind of lifestyle as it hinders on their way of making money from people buying things and crap they don't need to survive. Now THAT's counter productive on any magazine trying to make money, since ads and articles about the latest gadget, watches, clothes, etc are all streams of income for them.

I have been clearing up a lot of things I don't need or haven't used in a while, and don't expect to, and will be making a donation to Goodwill tomorrow.

Minimalism doesn't mean owning poor quality things, per se, just less in general. For footwear, instead of owning 3 pairs of shoes and boots, maybe 1 or 2 is needed. Watches, instead of owning 1 or 2 $10 watches, you can own one very nice watch for $500 or so. And for a car, instead of a basic car or a Toyota MR2 from the 80s, you can own a 996, Cayman S, or a 997 CS.

I don't think I can ever live extravagantly regardless of how much I make. I am finding myself less stressed since you have less things to worry about. I also feel good having stuff I actually use and want, and helping others at the same time.

Many people fall into debt because of their never ending goal of obtaining things and possessing them, while others who ARE in debt, have realized something and discovered minimalism. And even those who made lots of money or were in debt, have turned towards minimalism regardless of how much they made.

I am only starting this lifestyle, since having less things is great, but the thought of never owning a Porsche makes me a bit sad. I can't forego this dream car, so I am still learning that less is more, and not having fashionable clothes and watches can be done for myself. It's like the slogan says, there is no substitute. Sure, I can get a Mustang for $5000 or so, but it's not the same.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 AM
SMB
Intermediate

I like it. I sold a 6500 sq ft house in Colorado, after my 5 kids moved out, and live in a smaller rental house now while I figure out what is next. A simple house in the woods, with my wife and 997tt, sounds great

'08 911TT, White/Cocoa Brown, 6 speed, LSD, S. Chrono - all stock
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 AM
TheLastTemplar
Advanced

Originally Posted by SMB
I like it. I sold a 6500 sq ft house in Colorado, after my 5 kids moved out, and live in a smaller rental house now while I figure out what is next. A simple house in the woods, with my wife and 997tt, sounds great

'08 911TT, White/Cocoa Brown, 6 speed, LSD, S. Chrono - all stock
I would like to recommend you to a Youtube channel called; kirstendirksen. She goes all over the US and Canada, interviewing folks who are living off the grid and folks who live in small spaces. One of my favorite channels on YT, and really opened my eyes that simple living is something to be proud of and a great way of life, as material possessions are only secondary.

Just did a search on minimalism and this article shows up. Apparently this lady who is a minimalist, ALSO wants a Porsche

http://bemorewithless.com/if-less-is...ant-a-porsche/
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a 356 ... heck buy a Speedster, they were the minimal car that Porsche sold (when new)
Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Buy what you like, live your life as your choose, why must you put a label on it?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Wufnu
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TheLastTemplar
I have been clearing up a lot of things I don't need or haven't used in a while, and don't expect to, and will be making a donation to Goodwill tomorrow.

Minimalism doesn't mean owning poor quality things, per se, just less in general. For footwear, instead of owning 3 pairs of shoes and boots, maybe 1 or 2 is needed. Watches, instead of owning 1 or 2 $10 watches, you can own one very nice watch for $500 or so. And for a car, instead of a basic car or a Toyota MR2 from the 80s, you can own a 996, Cayman S, or a 997 CS.

I don't think I can ever live extravagantly regardless of how much I make. I am finding myself less stressed since you have less things to worry about. I also feel good having stuff I actually use and want, and helping others at the same time.

Many people fall into debt because of their never ending goal of obtaining things and possessing them, while others who ARE in debt, have realized something and discovered minimalism. And even those who made lots of money or were in debt, have turned towards minimalism regardless of how much they made.

I am only starting this lifestyle, since having less things is great, but the thought of never owning a Porsche makes me a bit sad. I can't forego this dream car, so I am still learning that less is more, and not having fashionable clothes and watches can be done for myself. It's like the slogan says, there is no substitute. Sure, I can get a Mustang for $5000 or so, but it's not the same.

Hell, man, is that minimalism? I thought most people lived this way. I'd call it living "responsibly"

When I think of a minimalist life, everything has a purpose and its purpose is the only reason for purchase. Pragmatic. Utilitarian. From my perception of minimalism, you don't buy a home to live the dream, host friends, etc: you buy one to protect you from the elements and give you a place to sleep. You don't buy a car 'cause you really want one, you buy one to get you from A to B and you do it as cheaply as possible. Why on earth would you need a watch when you almost certainly have a cell phone and there are clocks everywhere? Food is fuel, not fun. Etc. Objective (I assumed) was to get by with as little as possible. I saw this lifestyle constantly when I lived in China and I wouldn't recommend it unless you just want to save money.

e.g.
http://tinyhouseblog.com/

What you're describing isn't that at all, it's just having one of something. Well, dang, I've been minimalist my entire life I guess. Who knew? No, wait, I have more than one guitar so... I guess I failed. That's ok

As I hinted at (with the magazine sentence; I didn't mean it literally), and Marc stated explictly, just live your life the way you want. You don't need to live within the confines of a label. Invest wisely in capital, interpersonal relationships, and yourself. If having a Porsche makes you feel good and you get a lot of enjoyment out of it, even if it's expensive, then it's a good investment. Maybe not monetarily but personally. Cut the fat, the things that yield a low return, and think about what is really important. If that means spending money then do it. Life is all about moderation and careful consideration.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 AM
TheLastTemplar
Advanced

I'm living simple right now to be honest. I DO have a love of shopping for clothes--yes, I am a male and not ashamed--well not entirely, to admit it. I love finding quality clothing, so in true minimalist fashion, I don't have a lot of clothing, just ones I really love and are of good quality.

I recently taken a liking to watches and motorcycles, and do intend on owning a Ninja 400/500R and maybe 2 watches.

Even though I would be spending a couple grand altogether for watches, clothes and shoes, I still won't own that many of each category. Again--quality over quantity for myself.

Outside of Porsche, decent clothes, shoes, and watches, I don't really live extravagant or have expensive hobbies or habits.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Wufnu
8th Gear

I feel ya. I recently lost around 60lbs and... well, being fat my entire life, I'd never liked clothes because even in a nice suit I felt I looked bad. Now, though, I wear 3 piece every day. My coworkers pick on me (our dress code is business casual... at best) but I feel very good wearing them so I do it anyway. Just do what makes you happy.

Watches are good. A classy status symbol. My watch is around $600 but I got it for free from my dad. He was in Afghanistan in 2001 and the soldiers would often trade items. One traded this watch for a very nice tactical flashlight. Just remember watches are jewelry, that should keep spending in line. I remember when I was taking flying lessons they had a pilot magazine with watches that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I always thought, if it's that much it had better come with the sexy model admiring it o.O

I think we're the same in many ways. We don't have much either, we don't even have a TV, but we enjoy the things we do have. Most functional things we own are good quality but bought from yard sales, second hand stores, or donated by older relatives.

Anywho, I think you know what you're doing and you don't have to follow whatever rules some blogger posts about being a minimalist. It's pointless unless you have a goal, e.g. saving money.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Good for you to investigate a way that seems interesting to you.

I seem to live the maximist lifestyle according to this. Too much house, lake cabin, boat, jet skis, cars.....to me, toys make life fun and are a tangible benefit of working my butt off. I live like this because it makes me happy - and I don't care what anyone else thinks of it or if it seems out of whack with someone else's values.

Whatever you decide, just be true to your core beliefs and live a compassionate life. Don't worry about the label as much - none of us gets extra points for fitting a description.

Cheers!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Buy what you like, live your life as your choose, why must you put a label on it?
Agreed. I pack my lunch to work most days and spend less on clothes in a year than many of my friends do in a month. But I have no debt (aside from mortgage) and drive a nicer car than most people... and sometimes even have an extra car.

To each his own, just be happy and don't get into too much debt!
Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 AM
TheLastTemplar
Advanced

I find my lifestyle is very minimalist. I have a few jewelry from American Eagle, driving gloves (for my bike--good exercise for my legs), and now own some nicer clothes than a month ago--where as before, it were all casual graphic tees. I owned zero basic color tees and sweaters so now I have those.

Starting to wear a dress shirt and stuff, and dressing more "professional" or more like the folks who model for Banana Republic, lol

I am still aiming for a 996, but this idea of minimalism and working less hours a week-- which is good, because working less means focus less on material consumption. Too bad it sound contradicting for me-- getting a 911 and working less hours. I will need to work MORE in order to get a car like that, and I guess afterwards, I will save money for rainy days and maintenance/repairs.

I live a simple life now, and owning a 911 shouldn't really change that.

Lastly watches costing 100,000+ is ridiculous. I guess if that person cares not for cars, he can get the watch... but anyone else would either get a very nice supercar or pay of their home, or something.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Wufnu
8th Gear

Well, to be fair, those watch ads were targeting a magazine for people that own their own jet(s). Least expensive jet I know is a Cessna Citation which is only three and a half million. Also, like any complicated machine designed for performance, the cost of maintaining is usually higher than the purchase price. I reverse engineer jet parts for a living; OEM markup is usually over 1000-10000%.

tl;dr - They could afford it and it would likely be a less % of their income than a $1000 one would be for us

Quick Reply: IYO, is it possible to be a 'minimalist' and own a Porsche?