Notices

Best track car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Best track car?

Let me first state I used to race and was pretty competitive. I have owned way too many track cars and none have been Porsches. So, this time around I am adding them to my very short list of cars. I am looking for a car that can be driven to and from the track, is reliable (relatively speaking), and delivers enough speed to keep me interested. This is not a DD but I only do maybe 7 track events a year so its track use is limited. That said, when I do go to the track I run as hard as I can. No babying here. I also don't put many miles on the car off track so I can live with some compromises but I don't want a misery. I owned 2 Lotus Exiges (an N/A 2006 and S260 2009) and do not want to repeat that. With a budget of $55k my choices are:

early 996 turbo with limited mods
996 GT3
Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper
Noble M400

I am leaning heavily towards the Porsches for obvious reasons but the two listed are so different you could debate them all day long. My main con of the 996 GT3 is power is limited to what you got and I may get bored of it very very quickly.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO I would rank your choices as such:

6-GT3
Z06
Noble
Viper
996tt

The Noble might be the fastest but I put it third b/c I don't know about parts supply, technical/setup support, etc vs. the overwhelming amount of products, parts, and data on the Pcars and Vettes.

good luck with the search!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Thats an interesting ranking. I was actually leaning towards a 996TT due to the fact that they are pretty cheap, can be modified to be made very fast, and should be Porsche reliable. I know the 996TT is ranked pretty low in the Porsche community but I just thought it was because it was soft and the first liquid cooled engine after the 993's... Am I missing something?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Thats an interesting ranking. I was actually leaning towards a 996TT due to the fact that they are pretty cheap, can be modified to be made very fast, and should be Porsche reliable. I know the 996TT is ranked pretty low in the Porsche community but I just thought it was because it was soft and the first liquid cooled engine after the 993's... Am I missing something?
I don't like AWD, hence the tt at the bottom. it's also probably the heaviest of that list (not sure about the Viper?).

but I've seen a lot of 996tts on track, and they're an amazing value for what they cost, so if that's what floats your boat...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Depends what is important to you... if you just want to go fast, the Z06 is a no brainer. In terms of lap times, a C6 Z06 will monster a 996 GT3 and leave you with $10k in the bank for upgrades. It will also be cheaper in terms of consumables. But maybe this doesn't matter because you want a Porsche? Ultimately, you need to decide what your priorities are...

Mark
Old 02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I absolutely love the Z06 and I know the speed potential. My main gripe is safety and to fit a roll bar is a drill-in affair. With a Porsche you can get a bolt in bar that doesn't require drilling. That is the most appealing aspect of them. But I fear a regular 996 GT3 is more of a lateral move from what I am used to. Living here in S Florida everyone has money and everyone drags the latest and greatest to the track. While that doesn't bother me it is a difficult adjustment to be in slowest 25% of cars on track when I am driving a Lotus Exige S260 at the limit! At the last event I think there were 40 997 GT3's of every variety including 2 RS 4.0s. I just want to run with the pack and down here that means a much faster car....
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't you answer your own question? If an Exige 260 isn't fast enough, a 996 GT3 isn't that much further ahead. While you can technically install a rollbar in a 996 GT3 without drilling, it isn't certified for much of anything where they actually require a rollbar, so really, how much safer it is, I'm not sure. I wouldn't trust a tequipment bar that bolts in shear to a seatbelt bolt, but that's just me.

Mark
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My impression leads me to think you are far more concerned about winning a DE trophy than you are about having fun driving.

I'm impressed with the fact that you are capable of driving a Lotus at the limit and wonder if you really need advice from this board. On the other hand, if you're that good then why not purchase any one of the fantasticly built and developed race cars offered herein (like Watkins wonderful 964), get your PCA club racing license and go racing?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id consider the tracks you would drive on as well. In S Fla you have easy access to Sebring, Homestead, Daytona, PBOC. Some smaller tracks as you go north in Gville and roebling. When Ive driven Homestead and Daytona it seemed like a HP slug fest. Sebring has certainly technical corners but then there is the beautiful back strech in 17. Ive done those tracks in an exige and know what it feels lilke to have twice the horse power pass you by in the streches only to pass them in the thght twisties. The GT3 is amazing and is so well made in camparison to the lotus and corvette, but will not have the brutish grunt in the simple "mash your right foot down" straight. Im obviously not recommending one, just saying you should consider the venue and what you want to accomplish.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Is there such a thing as a DE trophy?! I already raced and don't want the expense. I have been leaning to a modified 996TT and perhaps I should have started this thread with whether THAT car makes a good and potent track car...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 AM
U4IA187
Advanced

Yeah, I think the DE trophy comment was meant to be sarcastic but in reality comes across as paternalistic and pathetic.

Ive found the porsches to have better and more user freindly driver feedback than the Z06 or exige(Iknow you arent considering an exige.)

Dont know how far you are from Sebring, but Ive seen a fair amount of 911TT tracked there with CHIN MS and SAFE MS. Always friendly approachable people, if you have some free time and enjoy brunch at the chateu, Id recommend saying hi to them and asking in person. Also, in person people tend to be nicer, they cant hide behind their DE trophy wise cracks and blogs...
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
My impression leads me to think you are far more concerned about winning a DE trophy than you are about having fun driving.

I'm impressed with the fact that you are capable of driving a Lotus at the limit and wonder if you really need advice from this board. On the other hand, if you're that good then why not purchase any one of the fantasticly built and developed race cars offered herein (like Watkins wonderful 964), get your PCA club racing license and go racing?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
alexmgt
5th Gear

I bet the Ariel Atom, Caterham, or KTM X-Bow are fun! but those really are track toys imho. Porsche RS models do well I guess.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Oliver Francis
5th Gear

Nissan GT-R, Acura NSX, Mazda RX-7....
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 PM
U4IA187
Advanced

Honest question, yes the GTRs are monsters on the track, but how well have they held up? Ive heard horror stories of drive train degeneration, are they true?

Quick Reply: Best track car?