Notices

Best track car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

From my experience the Porsche is the only car you can take to the track and reliably drive back and forth to home, however the Z06 is certainly the most bang for the buck.

IMHO - With respect to the Porsches, the 6 GT3 would probably be a lot more fun than a modded 996 turbo due to the weight of the turbo. Keep in mind that you'll always be a little slower than folks with stripped out cars, an aggressive track suspension set up, R compound tires or Hoosiers. Your other alternative is to buy a trailer and a nicely set-up dedicated track/race car.

If you can drive a Lotus well, I'm sure wouldn't hold anybody up in any of these cars. Be careful not to confuse power with fun. I'm usually one of the lower hp cars out there and I'm sure I have the most fun!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM
**PORSCHEDIALS**
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say , try a Renault Megane RS, it saves a lot of money for upgrades and you still have a lot of fun with just 250 bhp under the bonnet.

To a lotta people havin' an exotic / expensive sports car with 500-600 bhp or so doesn't necessarily make them fast on a track, especially when it comes to fast cornering... Having a "fast" car is 1 thing, driving it with skills is another...

For example, Megane RS & Porsche GT2:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by **PORSCHEDIALS**
I would say , try a Renault Megane RS, it saves a lot of money for upgrades and you still have a lot of fun with just 250 bhp under the bonnet.
How exactly would one get a hold of one of these in the US?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
**PORSCHEDIALS**
AutoX

I guess the same way we Europeans import American and other non-European cars?... The Renault Megane RS still holds the record for fastest FWD car on the Nurnburg Ring (fastest lap time).
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

South Florida, 996TT and track events? Not what I would do without a lot of cooling mods. The summer heat will suck a boatload of power out of the car. That goes for any FI car.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM
**PORSCHEDIALS**
AutoX

With temp. reaching 90-100 degrees and even more... We go to Orlando every year in May or June: even then it's already friggin' hot... How much loss of horses do you figure?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM
U4IA187
Advanced

I had major heat soak issues with my SC exige at sebring during the summer. Dont know how much power lost but I felt like fred flintston trying to ge her to run at the end of the day. Other cars like mod'ed 370s seemed to die off early for self preservation. Nothing against the 370, but I think its hard wired into the cpu to shut her down when it heats up. However, right about now, if theres a nice cool morning, theres nothing better than spring time at sebring.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by **PORSCHEDIALS**
I guess the same way we Europeans import American and other non-European cars?... The Renault Megane RS still holds the record for fastest FWD car on the Nurnburg Ring (fastest lap time).
Doesn't work that way in the US. Cars need to meet US safety and emissions regulations if they're less than 25 years old. Without those stickers you can't import. Sorry.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
**PORSCHEDIALS**
AutoX

Crap, you are right, just read some things about it. Didn't really know it was that hard. Too bad it's such a problem to get them to the States without the costs, the approvals and stuff. You guys up there probably miss a lot of other fun, besides the Porsche...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
MrFukengruven
Track Day

Surprisingly, the Nissan GT-R's I have seen (most pre-2011 facelift) have taken a ton of abuse. I do however recall one of them having their transmission cause the car to go into limp-mode and wasted a complete session (I believe it was due to heat; temperature outside was 90.) Otherwise, the brakes held up very well considering its weight (of course upgraded track pads were used).

The newer 2011+ facelifted GT-R's have had most if not all of the issues ironed out. Not a fan of Nissan really, but the GT-R does defy the laws of physics as no 3800+ lbs. car should perform like it does, so I do have to give Nissan credit for that.

With that said, it'll be hard if not impossible to find a GT-R within your budget, let alone for under $65k, that is in reasonable shape to DE with.

So, go for something Porsche

Quick Reply: Best track car?