Notices

Shipping a Porsche to Germany - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:45 AM
steve germany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping a Porsche to Germany - my experience

First I learned that the Porsche CPO program is world wide. The only differences are that each country Porsche sells in the program is slightly different. For Germany the Program is only one year vice two for the US.

Next I had to decide on a car - I wanted a 996 4S and found a beauty in Chicago at the Porsche dealer there. $47990 not a bad price for a pristine car with CPO. I had tried the auction services "Exporttrader" but since they are based out of Canada the bank transactions became problematic. It was very entertaining watching the on-line auctions (but not $150 worth)

Next was the decision on the transporter. There is a web site dedicated to auto shipping and ratings. "shipping scams" There were only a few international shipper ratings and after shipping a Vette via container and that event was a disaster (very late and they scraped the car). i decided to go roll-on-roll off. BMW, Porsche, and BMW all do it this way so it is probably good enough for my 2003. I finally decided on www.aaat@aaat.com - for $1690 from Chicago to Bremerhaven.

Kurt at aaat is a total *** - ask for any other of the other sales persons. I'd like to meet him in a dark parking lot someday. The service is acceptable after all is done. Did I say that Kurt is an assholX?

The car is now scheduled to depart around the 31st of Jan.

Wintertime in Chicago is not the ideal time for shipping (but it is for buying). So I had the dealer install the 3M clear bra (Chicago edition - ??). $900.

I was planning to take the train to Bremerhaven but a Germany based military member here suggested that I use ADAC (AAA in Germany) for shipping, it would save me time off work and money. He was right - $220 euro ($300) to the Singelfingen vehicle terminal. The train/hotel/taxi would of cost at least 400 euro! ADAC does not actually ship but they do reccomend perfered shippers and the rates to Stuttgart are very low since there is a major vehicle terminal due to Merc and porsche being located here.

Wish me lluck and I'll update my progress as the car makes it way east!

Tips and suggestions are solicited!

Last edited by steve germany; 02-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:49 AM
stules
Track Day

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
May I enquire as to the costs of registration in Germany? Import tax? Also can you register it as a foreigner, or do you need a visa?
Thanks. I am thinking of doing the same thing from Japan, but leaving it at the ring if the total costs are not too prohibitive.
Stuart
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 AM
steve germany
Instructor

Import tax for Germany is 9 Percent but since I'm associated witht he US military I don't have to import it and I can run US spec vehicles in Germany. Very inexpensive.

ADAC.de has lots of info on this subject.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Steve,

thanks for the valuable info. I am planning on bringing my turbo to Europe for next summer and I was hesitant about going roro. Please let us know how it works out.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
steve germany
Instructor

The car is going to be picked up on the 4th (tomorrow). It will be waiting until the 27th of Jan when the next roro space is available. I hope that the cold weather deters the thieves in Baltimore! It will take two weeks to float the car to Bremerhaven.

Docs required for shipping:
6 copies if the title
power of attorney for the shipper
export lien release from my bank
copy of the purchase agreement

There are some military doc that will allow be to bring the car into country without duty or any other taxes - I'll list those later.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Why not buy a US spec car here(Germany) instead of shipping one over?

What base/post will you be assigned to?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cars-intl.com/
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Yeah you can go through Larry, which is what I did, or you can get the same deals as Larry through any participating Porsche Dealer in Germany on US spec cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Larry has stopped selling used Porsche via the US military program. He has a Cayman on the lot right now but that is a new order. Ever since the tent came down on a bunch of cars last year during a snow stom (and they moved) Larry is primarily doing new.

BTW - I bought a new M5 from them 5 years ago and only paid $47K for my '03 C4S nicely optioned with CPO. I Could of easily afforded a new Caymen but I'm really a 911 guy.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:00 PM
steve germany
Instructor

The C4S is now in Baltimore awaiting a 27th of Jan RoRo sailing to Bremerhaven ($1690) to arrive on the 12th of Feb. I've booked a flight via Germanwings from Stuttgart to Hamburg (56 euro) and plan on renting a car from Eurpcar. They are they only rental company that I have found that has a drop off location in Bremerhaven - (72 euro).
Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Good you should have in time for the slalom season !!

www.vsg-slalom.de
Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I sold my RSA to a buyer in Germany. I'd love to see that car pop up on here. 1 of 2 Black RSA's now in Germany.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Originally Posted by mbrouder
I sold my RSA to a buyer in Germany. I'd love to see that car pop up on here. 1 of 2 Black RSA's now in Germany.
Did you offer the car for sale here in the US and a German buyer responded or did you market your car in Germany?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
Did you offer the car for sale here in the US and a German buyer responded or did you market your car in Germany?

I sold the car via eBay. The buyer had his brother here in Chicago check out the car and ship it to him.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
steve germany
Instructor

The car has been verified as being on the ship Faust - one of the newest roros. 8000 cars on this beast. I'm suddenly understanding why my P Car is not getting the personal treatment.

I've tried to track the Fuast via several internet tracking sites but the coverage is spotty at best. The last report was mid atlantic heading to the US. If you want to be treated with kid gloves this is not the way to go!

10 more days - hoping for no big atlantic storms!

Quick Reply: Shipping a Porsche to Germany - my experience