Notices

Shipping a Porsche to Germany - my experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received a notification in the mail that the car would be available for pick up on the 14th (Valentines Day). I scheduled the time off and the flights that I booked were perfect. I had to go to the shipper (out for lunch 12-1300) with my notification paper - pay the 130 euro for the port charges and then take the release papers to the holding area (1 mile away in the "free port" area. The battery was dead so they finally got it going drove it out the gate and that was the first time that I saw her. Beautiful. The driver / worker did put the US plate on her for me - tip 5 euro. No front plate holder so the front plate was stuck on the dash. Next stop was customs - two forms dropped off - 30 seconds -- and I realized that the dead battery would not start the car - what an idiot - what an idiot - what an idiot - stuptid - the newness of the car takes away any intelect that you thought you may of had. Trust this dolt on this.

OK ADAC (AAA) called - 2 hours wait expected - Frau near tears and threatening if my manhoood was available for mutulation there would be very poor odds of future children.

The Frau used her charms and found a truck driver that was willing to help us out with a jump. The battery was shorted out and would not respond to the jump. The driver (well tipped) had a second set of cables and came up with the idea to use two cars on the single battery - it worked!!!!

Scared as hell to turn the car off and be stuck we decided to forego our vacation stops along the way home (600 miles). We blasted through northern Germany where there are more unlimited autobahns than I had ever expected and into southern Germany. We made it home with three gas stops and two feed stops in 5 1/2 hours. The 4S was never turned off (big fines for refueling with out turning the engine off). We arrived home at 0100 or so. Multiple hours at over 130 mph was tireing but much easier than in my Vette C6.

I love this damn car - worth all of the effort and now we'll have stories to tell the grand children!

Last edited by steve germany; 02-16-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Shipping a Porsche to Germany - my experience