Notices

What age (and what SES) is right for owing your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:48 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What age (and what SES) is right for owing your first Porsche?

OK...I want to know. I am 35 years old, married for 9 years, have a 2.5 year old, and another kid on the way (due in June). Just bought a house in the San Francisco Bay Area...those of you who live here know what a killer it is to try and afford it. Have a Ph.D. in Psychology, was a professor for a while (despite the prestige, professors make really bad money BTW), but then left it all behind for the Tech sector---now work at a high-tech company, but not so much living it up (ie $$$) as just happy to be able to survive in the Bay Area and able to keep my job for the last 4 years (and own a house..many people can only affor condo's or just have to rent-the bidding wars here are brutal). Thiings are getting better with the economy, but it is still up and down...with the advent of the 2nd one my wife wants to be able to stay home, which may make it temporarily tougher...

For a couple of years now, I have been really really wanting to buy a Porsche, either an old 911 (80's 911 or 993) or a base Cayenne (V6 manual) or possibly a used 2003 Cayenne S. Problem is, I can't really afford..any of them. My daily driver '86 BMW is still going but costing a lot of money, and what I really need to keep this as a second car but get a newer, reliable, inexpensive vehicle esp for kid-hauling for between 8 and 13k E.g. Honda Odyssey (99-04 model), or Volvo wagon (mid-90s), or maybe an older 80's BMW wagon or an older Audi Avant.

But dang it, I want to find a way to make a Porsche work!! Have looked at old 911s that practically have the word "money pit" written on them--read my posts in the 9111 and 993 forum-- (I now agree with the guy who says that all old 911s cost 20k, either upfront or in repairs/ fxes), and I have also test-driven a couple of Cayenne V6 because my wife was kind enough to let me do it and there is a Porsche dealer very close by. Realisticaly I can't even afford a base Cayenne unless I were to re-fi the house and take cash-back (and thus commit the sin of tying together an appreciating assett with a rapidly depreciating one).
And...other Porschephiles say don't even bother with a base Cayenne..if you are going to, you might as well get an S (I disagree but that's another story)

OK..so am I being realistic? (No). Does this strike a chord with anybody?
When can I expect my income and/or family situation (SES) to be better to the point of being able to have a Porsche and actually be able to pay for the tune-ups and minor modding? What have you guys done--how have you swung it? How old are you (on average)? If Porsche's weren't in your family and/or given to you as a present... how long did you have to wait to get one? I am suspecting I am about 5 years before my time on this board... ..and I know I could say screw it and do something anyway, but I do value my marriage, value my kid(s)..even my neighbors think I shouldn't even be thinking about a Porsche now..they'd laugh and think I am stupid instead of being impressed if they all of the sudden saw one on my driveway!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:53 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a nice 944, you and your kids will love it!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:25 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I sound like a complete idiot, but what does SES stands for...(Family Situation = SES...what?)

Anyways, good luck with your situation, I'm sure you'll work something out that fits you and your family...
Old 01-03-2005, 03:59 AM
umfan866
Racer

Sorry..SES stands for Socio-Economic Status...people are at different levels on the ladder...my Dad who is in Geography would use this term a lot. Means like middle class vs upper middle class vs upper class, etc. A combination of income and societal status/recognition. Eg Professors have high status but low income (often, esp when starting out). Corporate raiders may have lots of $$$ but not get a lot of status/respect.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:52 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I heard 1970s 924s really impress the neighbors, especially if they say " == P O R S C H E == " along the bottom of the door. And they're cheap to run, too! Perfect solution!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweanders
Get a nice 944, you and your kids will love it!

I'm 34 with 3 kids. I left a career in social work (have my undergrad in psyc) for the tech sector then when the tech bubble burst I went into pharmaceutical sales.

Get the Odyssey for a kid hauler. Reliable, safe, suprisingly quick and nimble (did I just use the term nimble to describe a minivan?) The build quality is very good and sould last a long while.

Don't discount a 944/951. I started looking at mid 70s-80s 911/930s then ran across info on the 944 series. Less expensive (even though there is no such thing as a "cheap" Porsche), fantastic performance, lots of mod potential for big power (on the 951) and better handling. You can get into a nice 951 or S2 for under $10K or a Turbo S (250hp stock!) for $12-14K and be able run with any stock 911 and probably out handle them on the track.

A friend of the family now has a 911 after owning a 951 and has commented on how he should have never sold his old one!

Good luck with your search!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM
9five1
Pro

Don't discount the cost of keeping one of these cars on the road, especially if you take the car to a shop. I do all of my own work, and even parts start to add up!!

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche"

I think the best starter Porsche is a 914, it is a blast to drive, parts are cheap compared to all other Porsche's out there, the Type IV motor is easy to work on, and most people can tackle simple tasks, and most mechanics don’t charge an arm and a leg to work on them.
I bought my 914 about 4 years ago, I had just turned 21, and I was looking for a new project to get me out of the rapidly diminishing sport compact / street racing scene. Since then I have owned a 1978 911sc, and now a 1986 951, the 914 is still my favorite.

Here are some video's of the car in action, right before I sold it. http://www.tnettravel.com/914/

There are some things you want to look out for when buying one, but if you need some more info don’t hesitate to PM me.

~Eric
Old 01-03-2005, 02:52 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

My question is – why do you want a Porsche?

Don’t take this the wrong way but it sounds like are you are having a little bit of a mid-life crisis and part of you is rebelling against all of the sensible choices that you are being forced to make with kiddies etc.

If you want speed there are things that are much cheaper and just as fast - at least as far as you will be able to tell on the road. E.g. an M3, WRX, etc.

If you want hyper-performance and cheap then learn to ride a motorcycle (and I mean learn to ride it – not just get to the level that you can pass your test) and you can get bikes that will outrun a new 911 for about $5k. It is also fantastic fun, great camaraderie and is enough out of the ordinary to be very cool – although everyone will keep telling you that you will kill yourself.

If you want a badge for prestige then get a 924 or a 914

The most ‘sensible’ non-sensible choice would be to get a ‘cheap’ Cayanne – at least that way it can double as the kiddie wagon. Just don’t expect the interior to remain in good condition once you fit car seats and have the kids climbing in and out.

But, unless you can afford it without putting yourself in hock – the BEST option would be to buy the mini-van and put your emotional investment into making sure that you raise your kids the best way you can.

Whatever you choose – Good luck!

Barry
Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 AM
umfan866
Racer

Thanks guys. A couple of things: I am really in love with 911's esp the shape of coupe from the rear, and esp the 80s years (SC, Carrera 3.2-from when I was in high school) and the 993 (1995-1998).
Don't like the 964 or early 996's. Of the non-911 Porsche's I think I could get used to an early 928 (like the lights from the back) or a 968 or 944 cab. Hmm... some really good suggestions. Honestly, going fast/speed is not very important to me...it's more the handling of a car / sporty feel and yes...the badge/status factor appeals to me. I find I'd rather go for cars that are underpowered or the first model year just to get into that particular "shell" or bodystyle that looks good. E.g. looking at '99 528i Tourings right now because I like the shell. I'd also much rather get a V6 Cayenne than a V8 Touerag for the same money since I'd rather have the status than the extra power. Maybe I should be buying a '78 SC since it looks the same (practically) as an '89 Carrera --honestly-- you could of fooled me 4 months ago!

My wife is different- when we just bought a house I was willing to live in much dumpier/smaller house in a nicer city than going one city down the prestige scale and getting a lot more house for the money (my wife with her common sense prevailed). While she has style, she is also saying forget about Porsches, let's get the Odyssey, even the older model '99-'04.

I am sure I'll find the right compromise, even if it means getting an Odyssey for now and waiting for the right time to get that 993 on the side...BTW www.odyclub.com really rocks.. is like the rennlist for Ody's...several people have put H&R lowering springs on theirs as well as other mods....catch me over there too (same userid)!!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ hehe..no kiddin...spoon makes a coilover set for the odessey...ROFL.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Nick Crooks
Advanced

One mans thoughts - I am 40 and just bought a used '04 996 w/ 5k on it. My first Porsche. I have wanted a 911 since I was 17 but it just ain't practical until you can afford it - by that I mean that in my 20's and early 30's I looked at some old beaters and realized they are a bad bargain if you need to rely on them. So I suspended the dream for a while. I could probably have swung a Porsche about 5 years ago but didn't have the financial reserves I have now, kids were younger, and then the economy tanked. I stayed pretty conservative until recently due to general business concerns, though driving a new BMW 525 and running a motorcyle for my kicks. Then last month my wife got onto me about the bike and inadvertantly rekindled my 911 flame. I ran the numbers, got a complete purchase order from the dealer and shared it with my wife. It demonstrated that after trade, selling the bike etc. that we would spend about $12k extra as well as rolling into a new 4 year note (slightly lower payment than before though). Once she saw the numbers, saw the end of biking etc. she was OK with it. Point is though - I can afford it and could have probably done this a couple of years ago but it only makes sense when everyone buys in and its just a matter of writing a check. By that I mean you simply take some existing funds out of your bank account and spend them. Once you start to financial engineer or suspend other important family needs you are making a mistake. I still shudder at my wifes likely reaction to the cost of future tires, so I'm building a slush fund by selling my biking gear. Sounds to me like you should wait until you are financially grounded, otherwise you will compromise on what you want and cause marital stress. My salesman told me that the the average owner is over 50, but also guessed that average salary income of buyers was around $140k, so not an unattainable amount. This precludes independently wealthy folks, investors etc. of course. Keep the dream alive, but don't feel bad that at 35 with a young family you aren't there yet. As Steve said in LeMans, "most people go thorugh life doing things badly", obviously thats not your goal. You will get there if you are patient.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Martin Arias
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,
I was 34 when I bought my first Porsche. It is a beautiful 930 turbo cabriolet. I wanted a 930 since I was 9. Go out an buy the damn thing. Life is short.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
BigRed
Pro

I'm 30, married, 14 mo. old daughter and another due in August. I'm a teacher and I just got my first Porsche...a 944. Great handling and very adequate power...and most importantly, it's a Porsche. Mine is in rough shape, but having a project car was first priority...more than having a nice driver. I really love my car...
Old 01-08-2005, 12:09 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default umfan866

There are two and ONLY two things working here:

1 – your finances
2 – your wife

With regard to number 1—if you can afford it, you can have it.
With regard to number 2—good luck!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. I am ageless.
2. As much nookie as possible.

Quick Reply: What age (and what SES) is right for owing your first Porsche?