Notices

What age (and what SES) is right for owing your first Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Ronnie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just turned 28 and took delivery of my first Pcar... a 997CS a couple months back.

I've grown up loving cars and have always wanted a 911. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to a Lambo or Ferrari, etc but Porsche and 911 have always held a special place in my thoughts.

My mum made me wait until I had a couple of properties under the belt, before wasting my money on a 911, so I've made do with a BMW until now, and I'm glad she did.

In terms of SES, then I'm from a working class background.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Mulberry
5th Gear

My husband bought his first porsche (996) at 28. At 30, he bought his 996 Turbo. At 31, he bought 2 older models (944, 968). As for me, I just bought my 997S Cab and I'm 31. We don't have kids yet so it's easier for us to not worry. I must say though.. we know a mutual friend (70 yrs age) who bought his first porsche this year after a massive heart attack. He was very happy with his purchase but one thing that he mentioned that stood out was ... he wished he had bought his car when he was younger.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

19 years old, got my first Porsche (87' 944 Turbo) a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. You can never be to young (or old) to own a Porsche. Even if it is just a small matchbox car, or a RC look-a-like.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SES

At age 22 I have two Porsches...the Porsche ownership experience is an amazing thing in of itself, however the turbo experience is pure unbridled passion. As I had led onto in another post, Porsche A.G. has done its best to give us technological perfection, albeit lesser and lesser with each passing year (giving in to the cup holder enthusiests), we are still the artist creating our masterpiece. From freak 914 guys to the ultimate GT2 purists, we all share this heritage, a unique and rewarding passion to drive and become our vision. If you are trying to own a Porsche to attain higher status be weary as this comes at great maintence costs and upgrades. Even the most entry level Porsche can bleed you dry, but if you, like most of us in here, will spend endless weekends with grease up to your elbows for even the memories of those turbocharged moments of glory, then your heart is in the right place to buy. In short...my thoughts:

If I required any higher status I would have bought a Ferrari...If I desired more female attention I would have purchased a Lamborghini...but I CRAVE 1.24g's on the skidpad...therefore I own P O R S C H E
Old 05-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

... well said guns. I think I have a tear in my eye
Old 05-13-2005, 03:22 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

My first p-car was a '79 911SC -- bought it when I was 24 -- I'm 35 now and still addicted.

Scott
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

If only I had all the money I have spent on other cars over the years I could have one heck of a Porsche. Though as life would have it I am planning my 930 Purshce in the next few years. Sure I could get a 951, but its just not a 911 ya know.

FYI I am a 31 year old car designer... and sure wish we made what we did in the 80's darn economy.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a string of Alfa's when I was younger, some of the classic models (Bertone GTV, Duetto, etcf) but had to give them up when I was married. After the kids, the house, and putting a pile into college savings I was coming up on my 7th anniversary. I got the itch again. I told my wife 'I've got the 7 year itch-I'm getting another sports car or a girlfriend. You pick.'

I'm on my third Porsche.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:05 AM
mach-hog
Intermediate

Carpe Diem. This is not a practice...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:43 PM
gerry100
Pro

You need to have enough money to keep it running the way you'll need to have it run after you are addicted.

Young enough to want and have the time to to learn to dirve it as it should be driven.

I got mine at 51, considering my personal situation - about 8-10 years late.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:37 AM
DeckardFC
Track Day

I am 23, graduated college and purchased my first Porsche, an '83 911SC, last month. Grew up around them, a freind of mine owns several, RS America, some older S', even had a 97' RSR! I got a hell of a deal so I had to jump on. It is a great car, the last 2 cars I owned were RX-7s, so it is a major step up in reliabilty!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
mingson
Advanced

I am 35 and got my 993 in Sep of 04'. Life it short. Get the 911. I also am a proud parent of a 19month old. The Britax roundabout fits great in the back and the boy loves the ride. Get a 911, the models you mentioned are all great cars.

We also purchased a house in the bay area in 03, so I know what you are talking about. 1 million for a tear down is the norm not the exception... crazy!!
Send me a pm and we can talk!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:50 AM
dochranilovich
Track Day

I'm 53, a Psychologist, with a 16 year old son who's just learning to drive, a wife, a mortgage, and, worst of all, both my wife and I are self-employed, meaning no paid time off, no employer-funded retirement (pensions, 401-Ks), health insurance, etc., and we pay both the employer's and employee's portions of Social Security taxes on both of us.

I've had an '84 944 for 11 years, and for the first 10 years it was my daily driving car -- every day, all year 'round, and I live in Michigan, where the winters are extremely difficult at times. Four snow tires (real snow tires, not just M+S rated all-season tires) and 210 lbs. of sand in the back and it drove more than adequately in the winter. I bought the car for $4,500 and even though I've put thousands into it since then it's still cost less than if I'd bought a new car instead. Yes, I've had to have it towed from the side of the highway at times, including in the middle of blizzards, and repairs have been costly, but it's been worth it.

My point is that even though it's been tough financially I was able to drive a Porsche every day for 10 years straight. When I was a teenager I never thought I'd ever drive, much less own, a Porsche. As Anita Bryant said, "Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

My wife's been totally understanding and supportive. She's finally gotten her reward, too. In December of 2004 we had the unbelievable opportunity to buy a 2003 Mini Cooper S from a private seller for $5,000 less than its book price. The Mini Cooper S is her dream car, and she's having the time of her life driving it. Everyone should have the opportunity to drive a dream car at some time in their lives. We have and, if you can, go for it!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 PM
killbugsfast
Instructor

I guess I can put my 2 cents . My first Porsche was a 78 SC . Since , I have owned 6 . Needed a lot of repairs but "had the looks" for sure . Nothing like that whale tail and 911 shape . Let's face it , if you showed pictures of car shapes to anyone , how often do you think the 911 shape would at least be identified as a Porsche ? Very often . There is something about it that you can not explain . On the other hand , instead of SES you need to think also about DIR ( Debt to Income Ratio) . Then comes the question of all questions : Do I want it or not ? Hey , it is not like you are signing a kidney or your first born child over to own one . If it does not work out , sell the darn thing . It will not be hard to find a buyer . Just don't buy an English or Japanese car , (forget the French) , and expect to sell it right away .

Like one of my patients used to say , " This ain't no warm up " . After all the sacrifices you have made to get to where you are , you deserve it . I am pretty sure it will not be a 30 yr. loan , having to pay closing costs , termite inspection , repairs , remodeling , etc. It is only money . And by the way , the chances are it will survive the next quake ! Just kidding . Heck , I will write you a prescription for it . Maybe Kaiser has it on its formulary !

Don't wait when you can do things . It is a lot easier to enjoy life when you still do not have a oxygen tank , gastro tube , amputation , paraplegia , etc. Take it from me , I deal with this every day .
Old 07-30-2005, 03:26 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

WOW I can't believe the thread I started is STILL generating replies. Thanks folks - guys and galls.

Yeah, I am still keeping my eyes open here and there for a used Porsche ...and still enjoying my wife's present of a subscription to Excellence magazine. in the meantime we just did re-fi the house to a 30 year fixed so that we won't have to move out of our own house in 4 years when the 5/1 ARM would have been up. And our Honda loan is deliberately kept separate - it is not tied to our house in any way.

Still working on little projects on my Bimmer that will help when I get a Porsche - e.g. installing clears, lowering spring, ECU chip, going to junkyards to pick parts off cars.. The same guy who wrote "101 Projects for your Porsche 911" is now writing a book "101 Projects for your BMW". I will probably start tracking/ autocrossing the bimmer soon -it's fun to see how each performance mod changes the car. And the E30 bimmers are so old and so common that finding replacement /used parts at good deals is easy.

I am starting to REALLY appreciate performance for its own sake and the fun factor that comes with it. Who cares about a badge or label-- and it's more fun to surprise people with a lot of oohmph out of a car where they don't expect it than to wear the label and not being able to keep up (e.g. my bmw was built for fuel economy and I got in trouble at some of the meets for having the "M" badge on my car). Now I will take the badge off and with my chip I can really outrun people....

Wow lately a lot of you are recommending not to wait too long...cause you never know when life will end or when it is all too late...until it is too late. Hmmm......food for thought...

Oh yeah, and my wife had our second child, he's now 2 months old!

Quick Reply: What age (and what SES) is right for owing your first Porsche?