Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 10:33 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathy
Question about ED from people in the know:

I recently talked to a salesman at a Porsche dealership who was very negative about the whole process and discouraged me from asking for it if I get an allocation.

He said that the VAT tax will require you to only keep the car in Europe for no more than 2 weeks at most and there is a certain restrictive mileage limit imposed on the car. And that the whole process has turned into something that is "not worth the hassle or the cost".

Also he said that there is no advantage to the buyer in specifying ED despite the fact that I heard somewhere that dealerships actually get an allocation for a similar model when doing ED.

Is he right to be this negative? Is he correct about the VAT and the time length / mileage limit imposed? Does he have a vested interest in dissuading ED or what?
Here is the important question: do YOU want to do ED? If so, then pursue it. Of course the next question is can you make ED happen? It is never a guaranteed thing but pursuing it with a dealer that isn't helping is only going to make things worse. Consider finding another dealer.

As for his other comments, I don't know what he's talking about. The VAT only applies to cars that aren't exported from the EU within several months. Things may have changed since I did ED back in July but if I was willing to pay more out of pocket, I could drive the car in Europe for several weeks.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:41 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 843 Likes on 420 Posts

I recently talked to a salesman at a Porsche dealership who was very negative about the whole process and discouraged me from asking for it if I get an allocation.

He said that the VAT tax will require you to only keep the car in Europe for no more than 2 weeks at most and there is a certain restrictive mileage limit imposed on the car. And that the whole process has turned into something that is "not worth the hassle or the cost".

Also he said that there is no advantage to the buyer in specifying ED despite the fact that I heard somewhere that dealerships actually get an allocation for a similar model when doing ED.

Is he right to be this negative? Is he correct about the VAT and the time length / mileage limit imposed? Does he have a vested interest in dissuading ED or what?
He's wrong on all accounts. From one of the letters I have you can go for 16 days before you have to pay insurance out of pocket. 90 days seems to be the max with the price quoted for insurance for the additional days. VAT is refunded or the dealer just keeps a check from you and never cashes as long as the car is loaded on a ship once you are done with your ED. The dealer gets an additional allocation for most cars (not GT ones though). The dealer used to pay for your ED experience but now that cost is on the buyer ($1500). There is no mileage limit. It's your car. I just did ED in October and I would do it again.
The following users liked this post:
ScottRich (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:55 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

No, your SA is wrong! The car has to be loaded on a boat to the US within 3 months of pickup AND has less than 6000 km on the car. Exceeding either one will trigger the 19% VAT that the German Government will charge Porsche/and your dealer. That's why many dealers now seem to "cash" your VAT check upfront and reimburse you once confirmation of your car "on the boat" is issued.
The real issue is 1) getting a (good aka not winter) ED spot, period, 2) it costs now $1500 to do ED for which you can rent a Porsche in Germany (Porsche Drive) for a week, and 3) - my biggest complaint- the long wait to get your car back into the US after drop-off.
It can take now over 3 months to get your car during which period Porsche is NOT talking to you... And you "lose" 3-4 months of a total warranty period having your car "sit" in Germany.
AND, if your dealer jumps the gun (like mine did) and registers your car when you pay for it, usually a month prior to ED pickup, you've wasted 3-4 months of registration costs...
In CA that can be a lot of money...
I drove 6 race tracks which was worth it (not the wait though) but if you like many others just want to drive those "coveted" Alpine passes for a week or so, go rent a Porsche in Germany and have yours shipped in a timely manner to the US without sitting at the port unprotected like the ED cars. Just my 5 cts...

Is he right to be this negative? Is he correct about the VAT and the time length / mileage limit imposed? Does he have a vested interest in dissuading ED or what?[/QUOTE]
Old 11-19-2023, 10:56 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
He's wrong on all accounts. From one of the letters I have you can go for 16 days before you have to pay insurance out of pocket. 90 days seems to be the max with the price quoted for insurance for the additional days. VAT is refunded or the dealer just keeps a check from you and never cashes as long as the car is loaded on a ship once you are done with your ED. The dealer gets an additional allocation for most cars (not GT ones though). The dealer used to pay for your ED experience but now that cost is on the buyer ($1500). There is no mileage limit. It's your car. I just did ED in October and I would do it again.
The full amount was used to be paid by the dealer and now only 50% (around $1500) is.

Rest is correct.
Ikone (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:59 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

he is lying to you or he is unaware of the ED process. But he is completely wrong. Dealers are often negative about it because it is very hard to schedule the Euro delivery process, so unless the buyer takes on the role of communicating directly with ED team, it’s a lot of work. On top of that it costs the dealership about $3k to have a customer go through the process. The dealer IS however provided an additional allocation by PCNA as a token for doing a ED for a customer. The company knows it creates life long loyal customers so they want people to do it. But dealers don’t love it because of the reasons I listed above.
as for VAT and mileage… he was also wrong about those or misled you on purpose.
Porsche provides you 2 weeks of insurance and registration at absolutely no cost to you… and you can opt for even more at a small fee. There is no real mileage limit. And the VAT is only required to be collected by dealers if they decide to. It’s totally dealer by dealer, and the money is returned to you as soon as the vehicle is returned to the port of shipping. He is absolutely wrong that you can’t stay longer than 2 weeks. The Porsche contract states this clearly that you can opt for longer but you can’t exceed I believe it is something like 2 or 3 months.
reach out to the European delivery team directly, ask them for the pamphlet with all the details on ED and then walk back into your dealer and show him how wrong he is!
Old 11-19-2023, 11:11 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 843 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucifer
The full amount was used to be paid by the dealer and now only 50% (around $1500) is.

Rest is correct.
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware of this. I know the gentleman that was my guide/contact for picking up the car in Zuffenhausen mentioned it was around 1700 Euros for European Delivery. He didn't know about the US dealers paying for it, but he was also new in the position.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:29 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,256 Likes on 724 Posts

If you want to do ED try get an allocation then email the ED manager and set it up through him. Some of these dealers are useless and don’t want you to go. Extra paperwork for them that they don’t get paid for.
Old 11-24-2023, 03:04 AM
Pathy
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I semi-recently (Apr 2023) did European Delivery on a Volvo XC60 in Gothesburg Sweden and really enjoyed it, also a bonus given that we have family to visit in Eastern Europe. Volvo gives a lot more perks than Porsche, obviously - they pay for the flight (gave us three premium economy tickets roundtrip), two nights of hotel stays, and dinner.

Would really like to do this again but this time with a Porsche, but there is definitely much less incentive with this brand than with Volvo. For you guys who have done this with Porsche within the past 1-2 years (post Covid), have you found it to be worthwhile for you versus just receiving the car at your dealer? (Especially if you live in the United States)

Last edited by Pathy; 11-24-2023 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:08 AM
hyperion
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

I semi-recently (Apr 2023) did European Delivery on a Volvo XC60 in Gothesburg Sweden and really enjoyed it, also a bonus given that we have family to visit in Eastern Europe. Volvo gives a lot more perks than Porsche, obviously - they pay for the flight (gave us three premium economy tickets roundtrip), two nights of hotel stays, and dinner.

Would really like to do this again but this time with a Porsche, but there is definitely much less incentive with this brand than with Volvo. For you guys who have done this with Porsche within the past 1-2 years (post Covid), have you found it to be worthwhile for you versus just receiving the car at your dealer? (Especially if you live in the United States)
I did a brief write-up here, but short version is yes the ED experience is great, especially if you build a trip around it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...l#post19085083

and here, about how it all almost came apart but luckily did not:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...l#post19103415

-hyp

Last edited by hyperion; 11-24-2023 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:05 AM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Received 724 Likes on 222 Posts

Hes just negative. I loved the process. Did mine last year.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:06 AM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Amazing! Funny, i'll be the reverse. We just did a euro delivery last year and are exploring doing one for a Volvo!
Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I did European delivery of my 911 in 2017 (pre-Covid) and absolutely loved it. The experience was amazing, factory tour, driving on the the track at Leipzig, granted I had to pay my own way and the Porsche only covers one hotel night, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Driving a Porsche on the autobahn is an amazing experience!

I would really like to experience other manufacturer's ED such as BMW, MB, Audi and Volvo, but is seems most if not all of the ED programs have been cancelled for North American buyers, at least in Canada. :-(
Dubber (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 03:40 PM
Pathy
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by quattroboy
I did European delivery of my 911 in 2017 (pre-Covid) and absolutely loved it. The experience was amazing, factory tour, driving on the the track at Leipzig, granted I had to pay my own way and the Porsche only covers one hotel night, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Driving a Porsche on the autobahn is an amazing experience!

I would really like to experience other manufacturer's ED such as BMW, MB, Audi and Volvo, but is seems most if not all of the ED programs have been cancelled for North American buyers, at least in Canada. :-(
Right now you can only do it with Volvo and Porsche, and Volvo only pays for 2 nights hotel, 1 dinner, and plane tickets. Porsche apparently basically pays for your dinner?

Pre-COVID, most of the major European car manufacturers offered it, and gave you big incentives to do it - MB would pay for hotel nights, plane tickets, and give you a 10-15% discount on the car depending on the model (higher discount for higher-end cars like the S-class and AMG models), AND offer tour packages throughout Germany.

I wish I had taken more advantage of this in the past before the car companies decided that it wasn't improving their bottom line enough to give away stuff to consumers and decided to use "COVID" as an excuse just to permanently axe the programs.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:17 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 950 Posts

Right now you can only do it with Volvo and Porsche, and Volvo only pays for 2 nights hotel, 1 dinner, and plane tickets. Porsche apparently basically pays for your dinner?

Pre-COVID, most of the major European car manufacturers offered it, and gave you big incentives to do it - MB would pay for hotel nights, plane tickets, and give you a 10-15% discount on the car depending on the model (higher discount for higher-end cars like the S-class and AMG models), AND offer tour packages throughout Germany.

I wish I had taken more advantage of this in the past before the car companies decided that it wasn't improving their bottom line enough to give away stuff to consumers and decided to use "COVID" as an excuse just to permanently axe the programs.
Pretty sure Porsche pays for Factory Tour, Museum Tour, Lunch and one night hotel stay (the night before delivery).
The following 3 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
Dubber (12-14-2023), Ikone (12-14-2023), magnus89 (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 07:14 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Pretty sure Porsche pays for Factory Tour, Museum Tour, Lunch and one night hotel stay (the night before delivery).
And the insurance, license plate and registration required for your stay.
Lucifer (12-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 9 Things to Know About European Delivery of Your Porsche