Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European Delivery + PPF

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 05:13 PM
ssgs
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default European Delivery + PPF

Greetings, Community. I have a question that covers two different forums, so I am posting here. i am in the final stages of purchasing my first new Porsche. Based on the suggestions of many people, especially on this site, I am planning on a European delivery. My preference would be to Leipzig vice Zuffenhausen, as I’ve been to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart before and I would prefer the dynamic instruction on the track. On the other hand, I have driven a like model in Atlanta and Zuffenhausen does offer the factory tour where my 911 will be built…

This is not actually my question, though I am sure some will provide their suggestions and I am happy to read them all My real question deals with protecting the car while in Europe. Because the car is special to me (as everyone’s is to them) I am leaning towards a PTS color. As such, I am concerned with how to best protect the car when I am in Germany. I have heard people say the Porsche PPF option is not really that great. Do folks get it as a short-term solution and when they get the car back to the states, remove it, have the car cleaned up and have their preferred shop take care of the new PPF? Is there a local installer at either Zuffenhausen or Leipzig that you take the car to immediately to wrap your bespoke car before going on with your European vacation? If it is my local in the DC area, I know who I can go to if there are problems with the film or the installation, but I am not sure what I do if the German installer does a shoddy job for the American who they will never see again once I leave their shop. I am looking for any sort of suggestion as to how you’ve handled it and what the results were for you.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice and have a great day.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:50 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,564 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by ssgs
Greetings, Community. I have a question that covers two different forums, so I am posting here. i am in the final stages of purchasing my first new Porsche. Based on the suggestions of many people, especially on this site, I am planning on a European delivery. My preference would be to Leipzig vice Zuffenhausen, as I’ve been to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart before and I would prefer the dynamic instruction on the track. On the other hand, I have driven a like model in Atlanta and Zuffenhausen does offer the factory tour where my 911 will be built…

This is not actually my question, though I am sure some will provide their suggestions and I am happy to read them all My real question deals with protecting the car while in Europe. Because the car is special to me (as everyone’s is to them) I am leaning towards a PTS color. As such, I am concerned with how to best protect the car when I am in Germany. I have heard people say the Porsche PPF option is not really that great. Do folks get it as a short-term solution and when they get the car back to the states, remove it, have the car cleaned up and have their preferred shop take care of the new PPF? Is there a local installer at either Zuffenhausen or Leipzig that you take the car to immediately to wrap your bespoke car before going on with your European vacation? If it is my local in the DC area, I know who I can go to if there are problems with the film or the installation, but I am not sure what I do if the German installer does a shoddy job for the American who they will never see again once I leave their shop. I am looking for any sort of suggestion as to how you’ve handled it and what the results were for you.

Welcome... Looks like your first post?

Couple clarifying questions... Do you have an allocation for a car already? If so what model?
If you do not have an allocation already from a dealer, just a heads up on a few things:
1. European Delivery is fully booked for the year 2023
2. PTS is on Stop Order for the rest of 2023 on all vehicles
3. PPF from factory is now only offered on a couple of vehicles (I believe the GT4, GT3 and GT3RS... possibly still for the GTS, but others are no longer able to option PPF from factory... probably a good thing, very few people actually like the factory PPF and end up removing it)
4. There are a number of people who will tell you not to worry about it while in Europe, and just get PPF and paint correction done once it is back in the US from a shop that you trust... I sort of lean towards this opinion as well, but I am doing Euro Delivery in 2 months, and I am facing the same dilemma. I plan to order some "Track Wrap"... which is a temporary clear bra that you just install yourself... doesnt look great, but covers the front of the car and protects it and peels off easily before you leave it for shipping. Then I will get a paint correction and full car wrap once my 992 touring is home.

As for location, when you get an allocation, be sure to contact the European Delivery team directly yourself and attempt to schedule for your earliest convenience in 2024. I am doing Leipzig because I wanted to do the track time, and I have also been to the Zuffenhausen factory tour already... But I plan to drive from Leipzig to Stuttgart to do museum tour and factory tour again and drop the car off at the port in Sindelfingen... I think many people will say get the free track time and drive to the factory if you want to get back to the Museum or zuffenhausen headquarters again.

Good luck
Old 03-13-2023, 08:40 PM
ssgs
5th Gear

@toph4242, firstly, thank you for your response. I am still in the process of working with a dealer, so I understand that I am looking at (until at least) 2024 until I can get the ED and PTS to line up as necessary. Luckily, I am a patient man and willing to wait to get the car exactly as I want. On the plus side, it will provide my wife with more time to plan out the European trip (she is currently unaware of this community and has never heard of a European Delivery option).

I had heard similar about the factory PPF, which was surprising to me, but is one of the reasons I asked the question. It is similar to another question I have about pre-wiring for the dash-cam. I have seen it in the configurator but have yet to see anyone who has ever gotten it, liked it, or knows if the wiring is compatible with any other dash-cam brands.

As far as Track Wrap is concerned, what you’ve described seems to be something akin to a super thick Saran Wrap — is this correct? Is it something that you apply to the car directly or does it require water/chemicals and a squeegee? Do you plan on applying it in the Porsche parking lot or at the hotel (or will they allow you to apply it when the car is delivered at the floor in Leipzig? I have no idea of the work or time needed to apply Track Wrap to a car.

As far as contacting the ED Team, are they located at PCNA or in Stuttgart? I realize the first necessary step if getting the allocation, but i will just be filing the info for a later inevitable call.

Lastly, thanks again for your time and best of luck with your 992 Touring.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:41 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

@toph4242, firstly, thank you for your response. I am still in the process of working with a dealer, so I understand that I am looking at (until at least) 2024 until I can get the ED and PTS to line up as necessary. Luckily, I am a patient man and willing to wait to get the car exactly as I want. On the plus side, it will provide my wife with more time to plan out the European trip (she is currently unaware of this community and has never heard of a European Delivery option).

I had heard similar about the factory PPF, which was surprising to me, but is one of the reasons I asked the question. It is similar to another question I have about pre-wiring for the dash-cam. I have seen it in the configurator but have yet to see anyone who has ever gotten it, liked it, or knows if the wiring is compatible with any other dash-cam brands.

As far as Track Wrap is concerned, what you’ve described seems to be something akin to a super thick Saran Wrap — is this correct? Is it something that you apply to the car directly or does it require water/chemicals and a squeegee? Do you plan on applying it in the Porsche parking lot or at the hotel (or will they allow you to apply it when the car is delivered at the floor in Leipzig? I have no idea of the work or time needed to apply Track Wrap to a car.

As far as contacting the ED Team, are they located at PCNA or in Stuttgart? I realize the first necessary step if getting the allocation, but i will just be filing the info for a later inevitable call.

Lastly, thanks again for your time and best of luck with your 992 Touring.
I ordered Pre-Wiring... Havent taken delivery yet so cant speak to its use... other threads on the site show people taking delivery and its a plug and play system... cant speak to aftermarket cameras though.

Track Wrap is what many people use on track days to protect the high impact areas... It does not use water or anything, and is just as you described, a very thick clear plastic wrap that you lay over the hood, front bumper and wheel arches as smooth as you can to prevent rock chips... Many people just do it as they are taking delivery before they leave the factory... Its a quick 5min install with two people... You can order pre cut pieces I believe, but usually you order by the foot and just cut it in place with a pair of scissors or knife and just apply like a phone screen cover. peels right off.

Euro Delivery team is in Atlanta... Just google Euro Delivery Porsche and you will find the website and links to their email address.. Joey is very responsive.
The following users liked this post:
ssgs (03-15-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,079 Likes on 643 Posts

Everything that I have read, most guys don't wrap there and haven't had any issues. Obviously don't follow too closely.

There was a few that went during winter that wrapped and said they were glad. I guess it depends on the time of year.
toph4242 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:40 AM
bobert75
Racer

Received 735 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
If you do not have an allocation already from a dealer, just a heads up on a few things:
1. European Delivery is fully booked for the year 2023
As for location, when you get an allocation, be sure to contact the European Delivery team directly yourself and attempt to schedule for your earliest convenience in 2024.
ED is not fully booked for 2023 - in fact, Leipzig is only booked through July and is just booking August now. The Leipzig factory team only just released some August ED dates yesterday (Joey had been expecting them at the beginning of the month, just as he had received July Leipzig dates w/in the first three days of Feb). They likely won't release Sept Leipzig dates until sometime in early April.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:11 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobert75
ED is not fully booked for 2023 - in fact, Leipzig is only booked through July and is just booking August now. The Leipzig factory team only just released some August ED dates yesterday (Joey had been expecting them at the beginning of the month, just as he had received July Leipzig dates w/in the first three days of Feb). They likely won't release Sept Leipzig dates until sometime in early April.
Again, mentioned in the other thread, but if you are contacting them for the first time right now they are telling people its booked because of the amount of people on waitlists... Still possible to get a spot since people drop off, but whether or not the "spots" have been released, they have plenty of people like you who have been trying to get a spot, lined up. Absolutely worth throwing your name in the list as cancelations happen all the time.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:23 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by toph4242
Again, mentioned in the other thread, but if you are contacting them for the first time right now they are telling people its booked because of the amount of people on waitlists... Still possible to get a spot since people drop off, but whether or not the "spots" have been released, they have plenty of people like you who have been trying to get a spot, lined up. Absolutely worth throwing your name in the list as cancelations happen all the time.
That was not my experience back in January despite what they may have told you back in Dec. And I got a "new" ED spot two days ago, not a cancellation. At any rate, happy to discuss in the other thread - just wanted to give a short mention here.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:44 PM
ssgs
5th Gear

@toph4242 and @bobert75, thank you both for your comments. I have begun the process and reached out to a local dealer. From there I will begin to expand the inquiry, and hope to cast my net wider within the next week. Thank you both for your help.
toph4242 (03-15-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Chadds
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi. I had my car wrapped last summer at a company near to Leipzig. If you’re still looking for someone send me a private message and I can share more details.

Thanks Chris

Old 06-20-2023, 06:13 AM
elvar
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did my Euro delivery in Leipzig on June 6th and then had my car wrapped by CreaSigns which is nearby the factory. I was extremely pleased with the work they did and I would definitely use them again if I do another European delivery in the future.

Fractal-Spyder (01-12-2024)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:53 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by elvar
I just did my Euro delivery in Leipzig on June 6th and then had my car wrapped by CreaSigns which is nearby the factory. I was extremely pleased with the work they did and I would definitely use them again if I do another European delivery in the future.
How many days did it take them (full PPF or just the front & mirrors)?
Old 06-21-2023, 05:51 AM
elvar
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobert75
How many days did it take them (full PPF or just the front & mirrors)?
It took 3 days to do the front, mirrors, roof, side skirts, doors, and A pillars. To do the whole car they said they would need 5 days. I plan on doing the rest of the car when it gets back to the US.
The following 2 users liked this post by elvar:
bobert75 (06-21-2023), jkeev3 (01-11-2024)
Old 06-21-2023, 10:54 PM
bobert75
Racer

Originally Posted by elvar
It took 3 days to do the front, mirrors, roof, side skirts, doors, and A pillars. To do the whole car they said they would need 5 days. I plan on doing the rest of the car when it gets back to the US.
Thanks - that's good info for others who may be considering doing exactly that. Personally, I couldn't imagine giving up 3 of my 16 driving days to wait for it, but it's nice for folks to have a viable option like that to consider.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobert75:
elvar (06-22-2023), Fractal-Spyder (01-12-2024)
Old 06-26-2023, 01:28 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,079 Likes on 643 Posts

I just had mine wrapped now after 3000km. There was about 8-10 rock chips that they fixed when wrapping. Majority of them are likely from here as we have sand and gravel all over the roads from winter still.

Germany, the roads were near perfect. I had only two chips that I could see.

I would enjoy your trip and have it wrapped when you get back home.
Holdens (06-23-2024)

Quick Reply: European Delivery + PPF