Notices

OFFICIAL - N. GA (Metro ATL) Drives & Events Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 12:43 PM
GT4_Rick
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Hyperbole is exactly how I would describe the previous poster’s comments … Atlanta is a big city and has its share of crime for sure. I have lived here for over 20 years, and, unlike GT4_Rick, have not experienced any violent crime, nor, do I know anyone who has. Generally, if you stay north of I-285 from I-85 on the east side of town over to I-20 on the west side of town, you’ll find a very high quality of life. Inside the Perimeter (I-285), Brookhaven, Buckhead and Vinings are good neighborhoods and the price of homes reflect that.
The subjective experience of 1 person has absolutely zero impact on whether or not a city can be considered safe. We don't know if you're a rich person in a secluded multi-millon dollar country club or even just a hermit type of a person with no social life and friends. Either way the numbers do not lie and illustrate a far different picture that what this person describes.

Link to GA's crime stats here: https://gbi.georgia.gov/services/cri...stics-database. Our crime is higher than the national average. Much higher.

Also here's data showing stats compared to Chicago: https://www.11alive.com/article/news...3-69ced3835b48.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:12 PM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Hyperbole is exactly how I would describe the previous poster’s comments … Atlanta is a big city and has its share of crime for sure. I have lived here for over 20 years, and, unlike GT4_Rick, have not experienced any violent crime, nor, do I know anyone who has. Generally, if you stay north of I-285 from I-85 on the east side of town over to I-20 on the west side of town, you’ll find a very high quality of life. Inside the Perimeter (I-285), Brookhaven, Buckhead and Vinings are good neighborhoods and the price of homes reflect that.
I came to tour the area this week. Thought maybe Vinings, Sandy Springs or Peachtree corners might be good areas to live then just commute via transit if that's convenient enough
Old 04-24-2024, 03:13 PM
David0413
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tucker8235
Peachtree Corners, John's Creek, Suwanee, Buford are good. Do you need good schools?
Lots of nice cars around, I've never felt unsafe or targeted but I also don't spend much time in Atlanta itself, mostly northern suburbs.
Also, I think some cars are worse than others. I like the dodge challengers and chargers but wouldn't drive one down to Lenox Mall and have heard from people they are such targets for theft that its really better to not own one.
I was also thinking suburbs. I'm just moving down here for 1 year to do my masters at Tech so it would just be a 3 to 4 times a week commute to mid town
Old 04-24-2024, 04:28 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

@David0413

Just make sure you have a manual transmission and your car will be safe. No one knows how to steal those anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by GeoJoe:
GT4_Rick (04-25-2024), tucker8235 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:33 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

If you’re going to be attending GT, why not live in midtown - so much more to experience! Several very nice high rises with secure parking available. We had one child attend GT and loved it. Both of our kids have lived in downtown for over 7 years now and love it.

Last edited by ATL Fahrer; 04-24-2024 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:36 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

If you’re going to be attending GT, why not live in midtown - so much more to experience! Several very nice high rises with secure parking available. We had one child attend GT and loved it. Both of our kids have lived in downtown for over 7 years now and love it.
Yup, I’ve lived in Midtown, within (long) walking distance of Tech (where I also attended many years ago) for a good while (East side of the interstate, two short blocks off of Peachtree. Also in Brookhaven previously. And Midtown awhile before that. It’s a city, sure. There are hot spots for crime where I certainly wouldn’t park my GT4 on the street, and others like my own ‘hood where nearly everybody parks on the street and we have about 5 car break-ins a year. I have 5 garage bays so we don’t park anything outside, but on my little segment of street there’s MB G-Wagen, Audi S6 Avant, New Defender, Brand new Range Rover, two E-Class Benzes, canvas-top 2023 Wrangler, couple of new Volvo SUVs, ditto Infinity SUVs, and a street-parked 997.1S. None have gotten broken into in the years we’ve lived here, nor any of their predecessors. Like I said,1.5 blocks off Peachtree and nothing “gated” about the neighborhood.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:35 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Shoutout to the GT3s, GT3 RSes, and GT4 RS that I played with on Blood Mountain today. My daughter was giggling from the backseat the whole way! You guys on here?
Old 04-27-2024, 10:37 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 238 Posts

Looks like a great crowd. The Mitty is at Road ATL this weekend. Checking it out on Sun.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:32 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:49 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Only thing I'll say is they / y'all do it differently than we... From on or over the Mustard to 3 feet past the inside of the Mayo on a two lane section even when not "passing" slower traffic is just straightening out the corners and taking the fun and skill Out of being able to stay in one lane and try not to touch paint. Unless everyone stays single file and it was discussed prior, that can get messy.

Don't get me wrong, it looked like a fun and fairly safe time but I like to hold my One lane the whole way up unless passing slower traffic. This is better practice for the Tail or many other tight roads. Take 180 over to 60 for instance. You can't and shouldn't do that for major safety sake, so I like to practice staying within the lane and still be fast.

If you've ever seen the post on "FAIL OF THE DRAGON" on Facebook, you'll understand. Their whole goal is the take pics and vid or people crossing double yellows and the mayo and making fun of them for it. Asking / Telling them not to come back. So don't go up there and do that, you'll me infamous on FB!!

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-28-2024 at 10:56 AM.
sirtom (04-30-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 01:41 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

I couldn't agree more!!!

If you can't keep the car in a single lane, then you're going too fast for your car.
I commute on these roads and when people come up here to enjoy the turns, it drives me nuts to see them try to straighten out the road.

Per the post above, I didn't know this group. I was just trying to keep up and hoping they'd pull over so we could all meet.
At least they were respectful! Hopefully I can find some more P cars to drive with up here.
The following 2 users liked this post by MyNameIdeasWereT:
Big Swole (04-28-2024), sirtom (04-30-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:47 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
I couldn't agree more!!!

If you can't keep the car in a single lane, then you're going too fast for your car.
I commute on these roads and when people come up here to enjoy the turns, it drives me nuts to see them try to straighten out the road.

Per the post above, I didn't know this group. I was just trying to keep up and hoping they'd pull over so we could all meet.
At least they were respectful! Hopefully I can find some more P cars to drive with up here.
I totally get it brother and I'd probably have done the same thing. I just like to see how I can keep my pace and trying not to touch the white , yellow , and the brakes.

I do understand want to stay with and stop with them to meet them... Glad you didn't take my post wrong.

I should've gotten out this wknd but recovering from my first week at my new career after retiring from the Dept. last week. Had too much to do here.

Glad you had fun!!
Old 04-30-2024, 11:56 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool video and looks like a fun group.

I agree about lanes, but it looks like they were staying in the lane, not going into oncoming traffic.
That would have been dangerous if they did it, especially around blind turns - because motorcycles sometimes do that there too. Even if they aren't completely across, their head can be leaning across into your lane. Not a good situation.
But yes staying in the lane is the best practice. Looked ok to me.

That being said - touch the brakes! No reason not to. Do it in a straight line, before you get to the turn. Don't enter turns too fast just because you want to not touch the brakes or follow someone. You may follow them off the side if you mirror everything they do. I brake more than others, but later, and am not typically slower. And if I am, I don't care, it's because I'm safer. Fast + safe = good
Old 04-30-2024, 12:15 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sirtom

That being said - touch the brakes! No reason not to. Do it in a straight line, before you get to the turn. Don't enter turns too fast just because you want to not touch the brakes or follow someone. You may follow them off the side if you mirror everything they do. I brake more than others, but later, and am not typically slower. And if I am, I don't care, it's because I'm safer. Fast + safe = good

Maybe I wasn’t clear. I just mean I try not to go any faster in the straights than I need to be able to scrub off speed with downshifts and try to just carry good corner speed without going into oncoming traffic or going off the roadway. Of course I use the brakes. LOL. It’s just a game I play with myself while driving so I don’t have the urge to go crazy fast in the straights. As an EVOC driving instructor and long long time motorcycle track guy and car guy with a competitive nature, I’m ALL about aggressive braking! I always did most of my passing on the brakes. Backing it in on the bikes while making a pass was my fave.

Track vs Street driving(with exception of chasing a fleeing suspect vehicle) are two different things for me.

Last edited by Big Swole; 04-30-2024 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:58 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

The 997 is now Blue Fire. See y'all around Dahlonega!

Big Swole (06-03-2024)

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL - N. GA (Metro ATL) Drives & Events Update Thread