Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I like Summit main (not Jefferson).
Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Worth noting - one of the guys from my Daytona24 team turned me on to using this software: https://virtualracingschool.com/

Free and works pretty damned well. A simplified telemetry viewer - lets you overlay your laps against themselves or against others on your "team".

Runs in the background automatically.

If any of you sign up, shoot me your email address and I'll get you added to the Rennlist "team" within VRS so we can see/share data.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I like Summit main (not Jefferson).
Me too.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

We run every Wednesday night. Same time. I don't think we've decided on the next track yet. Suggestions/preferences?

So far we've run Daytona, Barber, NJMP, Mosport, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna, Lime Rock, and Watkins.

We were talking about some Rovals (Charlotte/Phoenix/California/Homestead) or maybe going International (Spa, Nurb GP, etc.)

Nice job last night. The car is definitely challenging, front lockup happens a lot. I messed around a lot with bias and pressure to keep it balanced, and it definitely seems to take a light foot on the pedal to keep it under control. I use a LOT less brake effort in this car than I do in others.

And I understand the anxiety over the new wheel - I'm waiting for an OSW myself. Was supposed to ship two Fridays ago, then was pushed to Monday, I asked him to hold off until this just past Monday (so it wouldn't sit on my porch while I was in Daytona)... and now, silence. It'll get here soon enough I suppose, but it should be any day now.
Thanks. How about Imola (one of my favs) or Donington/Oulton Park?

Yeah i've been playing around with the brake bias. I am fairly hard on the brakes so its taking some adjustment. I have the bias around 46 now.

Congrats on the new OSW. I'm sure it will be great when you get it.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:12 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Let's try summit.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hsmith
Thanks. How about Imola (one of my favs) or Donington/Oulton Park?

Yeah i've been playing around with the brake bias. I am fairly hard on the brakes so its taking some adjustment. I have the bias around 46 now.

Congrats on the new OSW. I'm sure it will be great when you get it.
I wound up at 44.2 last night after 2 spins. Was at 44.0 and comfortable until I dropped the two rear tires by 0.5psi - that seemed to destabilize the rear end a little (almost like it was "hopping", noticed the rear end dancing around a bit more on the brakes than usual - spring effect of the softer carcass?) At any rate I tend to run a bit more rear bias than most folks, most of the time. I seem to be better at catching a rear slide, than recovering from a front lockup.

Originally Posted by JustinL
Let's try summit.
Sounds good to me.

Imola is actually a kick *** track, I always forget about that one. Maybe we aim for Imola week after next?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

That works. Do you race on Sunday too or just Wednesday?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

We used to hold practice for a few hours every Sunday. We haven't done it in awhile, not sure why.

I imagine if you put together a hosted session, some people will show up. Sundays are either packed with honey-do lists, or I'm wasting away farting around on the simulator or watching TV... so there's a 50/50 shot I'd make it.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had trouble all night with the brakes, weird because I have them dialled in on the Ring, same setting would not work was spinning like a top for the first 30 minutes. Started playing with the adjustment on the pedals, think I just need to practise more. Good fun as usual though.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

I wound up at 44.2 last night after 2 spins. Was at 44.0 and comfortable until I dropped the two rear tires by 0.5psi - that seemed to destabilize the rear end a little (almost like it was "hopping", noticed the rear end dancing around a bit more on the brakes than usual - spring effect of the softer carcass?) At any rate I tend to run a bit more rear bias than most folks, most of the time. I seem to be better at catching a rear slide, than recovering from a front lockup.

Sounds good to me.

Imola is actually a kick *** track, I always forget about that one. Maybe we aim for Imola week after next?
im actually using 43.7 for brake bias .. I just checked and not sure why I said 46. I may even try more rear bias.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

im actually using 43.7 for brake bias .. I just checked and not sure why I said 46. I may even try more rear bias.
Yeah I try a bunch of various settings, from down in the 42's to where I've wound up.

In my own testing, it seems to be a trade off, there's no magic number. I know in the RUF Track, 42.7 is the number. Set it there and the car feels great everywhere. Every track, every condition, every turn.

In the Cup, it seems that you can "fix" one thing (say, straight line braking and/or front lockup) with a low 40s balance, but then F yourself on turn-in because the rear will want to chase and you can't trail-brake at all. Go to a higher number, and you can trail-brake, and get some stability back, but can't brake as hard or as deep without locking the front.

Really seems like this is gonna be a "per track" setting, based on driving style, bumps, etc.

I landed on 44, as it keeps me stable and lets me trail brake. I just have to be somewhat gentle on the pedal and plan to brake slightly early. Can't go as deep before braking, nor as aggressively, as I can with other cars. Have to eeeaaase in to them. TBH I do credit having a good pedal set to let me do this (HE Pro's). I think if I was on my old homebuilt setup (or worse, like G27s) there's no way I'd be able to trail brake and be as sensitive.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Yeah I try a bunch of various settings, from down in the 42's to where I've wound up.

In my own testing, it seems to be a trade off, there's no magic number. I know in the RUF Track, 42.7 is the number. Set it there and the car feels great everywhere. Every track, every condition, every turn.

In the Cup, it seems that you can "fix" one thing (say, straight line braking and/or front lockup) with a low 40s balance, but then F yourself on turn-in because the rear will want to chase and you can't trail-brake at all. Go to a higher number, and you can trail-brake, and get some stability back, but can't brake as hard or as deep without locking the front.

Really seems like this is gonna be a "per track" setting, based on driving style, bumps, etc.

I landed on 44, as it keeps me stable and lets me trail brake. I just have to be somewhat gentle on the pedal and plan to brake slightly early. Can't go as deep before braking, nor as aggressively, as I can with other cars. Have to eeeaaase in to them. TBH I do credit having a good pedal set to let me do this (HE Pro's). I think if I was on my old homebuilt setup (or worse, like G27s) there's no way I'd be able to trail brake and be as sensitive.
I think you're right. It will probably be a track by track setting. Its hard for me to transition to not braking as hard with this car as i like to use the brakes hard in other cars. I too am using HE pro's which is also taking some time to adjust to. I formally had Team ARC pedals which were much firmer. I just need to practice more
Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I think you're right. It will probably be a track by track setting. Its hard for me to transition to not braking as hard with this car as i like to use the brakes hard in other cars. I too am using HE pro's which is also taking some time to adjust to. I formally had Team ARC pedals which were much firmer. I just need to practice more
Ok here is a photo of how I have the bumpers configured:

I'll get you the configuration #'s in a bit. To me, this setup feels perfect, with just enough deadzone as you "push the pads to the rotor", the brakes start to apply right about the same time as the pedal starts to firm up.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody using the new Fanatec V3 pedals?
Old 02-03-2017, 03:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I think Phil is?

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread