Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017 | 03:07 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Remember it's Daytona road this week.
Old 01-31-2017 | 03:20 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
Remember it's Daytona road this week.
Oh, good. I thought it was Barber.
Old 01-31-2017 | 05:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
I'm sure it wasn't default weather. It seemed fast to me too, that's why I always try to judge against some of the racers that I know are faster than me.

I always blip my shifts coming down through the gear box, but I'm a left foot braker so it's really easy. The gear box will refuse a shift if it will put the engine over the red line and the space between 5-6 is quite big so you've got to get it solidly into the lower RPMs to get the shift to happen.
Ya I threw a post up on the iR forums and got a bunch of the same answer back - no heel-toe required. Just give it time between shifts.

Ran a practice session just now and if I take my time on the way down, it goes in with a simple click of the shift paddle - no clutch or blip required.

Got some consistency back but can't touch the time I set this morning.
Old 02-01-2017 | 08:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I'll try to sign in close to "on time" tonight (7:30 Central) since Justin won't make it tonight. Gonna run the kiddo out for some food (wife working night shift at the hospital means we eat out lol) then I'll get logged in.

Justin found a forum setup he likes, sent it to me and asked me to share it. Justin's usually got a pretty good feel for stable setups so I want to be sure you guys all get it. I haven't tried it myself but will experiment tonight.

We'll be at Daytona in the daytime in the new 991 GT3 Cup!
Old 02-01-2017 | 08:53 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Sorry but I'm not going to make tonight either, been stuck with this mean head cold sense Sunday.
I did run Daytona Sat. I think, was able to do a couple 1.46's, but the weather was cloudy if I remember right, looking at the results looked like Doug joined the same session but after I left. I found a setup out there that I ended up taking all the wing out. What I was doing for turn 1 was braking earlier.
Old 02-01-2017 | 11:14 PM
JustinL
Drifting

How did it go? Good turnout?
Old 02-02-2017 | 08:29 AM
George_B
Advanced

Default Daytona

Justin,

I believe that 6 cars started the race. I can't tell you how it went because I had to drop out after one lap. My frame rate on the rift started out (in practice ) at 90fps. But by the time the race began it was down to 35- 45 fps. When the rift is working it's amazing. And I like the new Porsche cup car. Guess i'll just have to keep plugging away at it.

Usually I like to try to finish every race I start no matter how far back I am but last night it was not possible. Hope to try again next week.

George
Old 02-02-2017 | 09:24 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah fairly light turnout, but it's been worse .

Two races in a row now I've managed to take myself out. I did it twice last night, both times in the same corner. The 2nd time I did it, I realized what happened. I made a tire pressure change after qualifying ended, and that needed a bias adjustment (which I did not do). There's a bump juuuuuust before the entry to the west horseshoe and I kept locking the rears there. Caused both spins. Once I pushed the bias forward a click, stability returned.

I think everybody suffered a spin or two, but overall, not bad - not the chaos I was expecting. Doug and hsmith had a pretty good battle going for a while. I think we're gonna have a pretty good time overall with this car.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27xjjv9oKmc

George, that is really odd with your machine. You should be able to run that thing NO problem. Are you by chance running this on a dedicated (for sim racing) machine? If so, I'd suggest a complete re-wipe. Fresh Windows installation, etc. Something is corrupted somewhere.
Old 02-02-2017 | 10:14 AM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

That was a lot of fun last night! Thanks for inviting me... Look forward to more good times in this car. I think i was locking up almost every corner. lol. I had a nice spin on the last lap too. hahaha.

When and where is the next race? I need lots more practice.

Can't wait to get my new Accuforce wheel which should be here in the next 2 weeks.
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:44 AM
George_B
Advanced

Default windows 10

Jim,

Unfortunately not a dedicated machine. Kind of looks like it may be temperature related but the CPU only runs at about 140 and the GPU even cooler.

And since i did a free Windows 8.1 to Win 10 update, not sure if i could just reinstall win 10 without having to buy a new copy.

At a loss. "Project Cars" seems to run fine.

George
Old 02-02-2017 | 11:49 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

George you can install Windows 10 from scratch with your Windows 8.1 key. Basically create windows 10 install media, use your windows 8.1 key for activation.

http://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-...-8-or-8.1-key/
Old 02-02-2017 | 12:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by George_B
Jim,

Unfortunately not a dedicated machine. Kind of looks like it may be temperature related but the CPU only runs at about 140 and the GPU even cooler.

And since i did a free Windows 8.1 to Win 10 update, not sure if i could just reinstall win 10 without having to buy a new copy.

At a loss. "Project Cars" seems to run fine.

George
Hmmm.

I wonder if you're running out of RAM?

Can you install MSI Afterburner, run it in the BG, and run a few laps so that the issue occurs? Then quit, stretch out the chart, and send a screenshot? Let's make sure you don't have a single core pegging out, etc. Make sure you capture all 4 cores (usage and temp), and GPU (usage and temp).
Old 02-02-2017 | 12:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by hsmith
That was a lot of fun last night! Thanks for inviting me... Look forward to more good times in this car. I think i was locking up almost every corner. lol. I had a nice spin on the last lap too. hahaha.

When and where is the next race? I need lots more practice.

Can't wait to get my new Accuforce wheel which should be here in the next 2 weeks.
We run every Wednesday night. Same time. I don't think we've decided on the next track yet. Suggestions/preferences?

So far we've run Daytona, Barber, NJMP, Mosport, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna, Lime Rock, and Watkins.

We were talking about some Rovals (Charlotte/Phoenix/California/Homestead) or maybe going International (Spa, Nurb GP, etc.)

Nice job last night. The car is definitely challenging, front lockup happens a lot. I messed around a lot with bias and pressure to keep it balanced, and it definitely seems to take a light foot on the pedal to keep it under control. I use a LOT less brake effort in this car than I do in others.

And I understand the anxiety over the new wheel - I'm waiting for an OSW myself. Was supposed to ship two Fridays ago, then was pushed to Monday, I asked him to hold off until this just past Monday (so it wouldn't sit on my porch while I was in Daytona)... and now, silence. It'll get here soon enough I suppose, but it should be any day now.
Old 02-02-2017 | 12:19 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

George, I did the Windows 10 reinstall over Christmas break, just needed a thumb drive to do a clean install. I just wanted to clean up a lot of crap I had on the machine.
Old 02-02-2017 | 12:21 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Summit?

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread