Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:42 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim what happen to you, I just heard an oh sh#t and then you were gone?

I also don't know how you guy are doing the hairpin that is where I was losing a lot of time.
Some how I kept Stephane behind me, Tony helped for a little while but Stephane was able to crawl back like ~3 seconds.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM
StefVanasse
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

For my part at the hairpin, I would brake hard at the first series of cones, downshift to 2nd and look to clip the apex just a bit late while reaccelerating. That did it for me but it really depends on your brake bias, camber and caster settings. So many variables.

I was really glad to have Phil as a rabbit for the greater part of the race. He showed real good vision and reflexes on lap 2, at turn 3 as I tried to take the inside but he managed to stay in front while avoiding to hit me. That was a great scrap.

Congrats on your win! Well deserved.

Stéphane Vanasse
Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
Love the new PC but the G27 doesn't seem to. It drifts while I'm driving (without hitting anything) until it's off by up to 20 degrees of so. Always the same way. How do I stop that? I'll remove the side-view but it still sucks when the wheel isn't right.
Scott,

Before I answer your problem. My computer does not recognize my G27 anymore... I'll be working on that tonight with Sysgen. That's the reason I was not there the last 2 races...

I had the exact same problem with my wheel. It started drifting exactly like yours. Sysgen found that a small plastic wheel (that has a name that I had forgotten) inside the whole steering assembly was cracked. So I ordered new wheels made of brass (from Thailand). It still does not work properly, but I may have made the repair incorrectly. Will find out Friday.

And will let you know. If it works fine, I have a spare brass wheel (encoder I think). I could send it to you while you order another one from Thailand. It takes quite a few weeks to come in.

c.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a Thrustmaster TX for sale here in Canada for 229$ (instead of 400$). I wanted to change my G27 for a Fanatec (+- 1000$) later on next spring, but I've been told that the Thrustmaster is quite a good wheel.

What do you guys think?

c.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 AM
OEM+
Advanced

How does one join this group? I found it on iracing last night, but it said the group wasn't recruiting.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Love the new PC but the G27 doesn't seem to. It drifts while I'm driving (without hitting anything) until it's off by up to 20 degrees of so. Always the same way. How do I stop that? I'll remove the side-view but it still sucks when the wheel isn't right.
This is a really common problem with the G27/G25 wheels. You have to take the case off and find the wheel sensor that looks like this:

The plastic wheel is just press fit on the axle and can rotate slightly when you move the wheel quickly and that's what loses the calibration. Just put a dab of krazy glue on the wheel where it joins the axle and that will be enough to keep it from losing calibration.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:40 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

OEM+ you just need to send your iRacing name to one of 4 people in this group that admin it via a PM and they can send out. The admins are: JustinL, HoBoJoe, OmniGLH, or Indy Rev.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
OEM+
Advanced

Thank you
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Scott,

Before I answer your problem. My computer does not recognize my G27 anymore... I'll be working on that tonight with Sysgen. That's the reason I was not there the last 2 races...

I had the exact same problem with my wheel. It started drifting exactly like yours. Sysgen found that a small plastic wheel (that has a name that I had forgotten) inside the whole steering assembly was cracked. So I ordered new wheels made of brass (from Thailand). It still does not work properly, but I may have made the repair incorrectly. Will find out Friday.

And will let you know. If it works fine, I have a spare brass wheel (encoder I think). I could send it to you while you order another one from Thailand. It takes quite a few weeks to come in.

c.
Aw man! Thanks Charles. I'll take it apart tonight and take a look.

Originally Posted by JustinL
This is a really common problem with the G27/G25 wheels. You have to take the case off and find the wheel sensor that looks like this:

The plastic wheel is just press fit on the axle and can rotate slightly when you move the wheel quickly and that's what loses the calibration. Just put a dab of krazy glue on the wheel where it joins the axle and that will be enough to keep it from losing calibration.
Cool thanks. Hopefully that's the issue.

I do recall it getting plugged in when it wasn't secure once. Freaked the dog out but I didn't think it hurt anything at the time. Seems like it's gotten much worse lately.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pmason
Jim what happen to you, I just heard an oh sh#t and then you were gone?

I also don't know how you guy are doing the hairpin that is where I was losing a lot of time.
Some how I kept Stephane behind me, Tony helped for a little while but Stephane was able to crawl back like ~3 seconds.
Argh

Yeah I lost it at the exit of T10. Had a good little chase going with Tony, was looking forward to redeeming myself by having a great battle and NOT crashing into him (like last week... LOL). I was actually content to just sit on his tail for a while, and as we came down into the hairpin, I braked early (intending to let him stay in the lead) - but so did he. So we wound up side by side, with me on the inside... so I took it. Then heading into T10, rolled through fine, hit a bump that induced one of those slow-motion spins. Tried to be cautious and catch it without totally looping it and collecting Tony - and wound up sliding off to the inside and impacting the barrier with the nose.

Had to let some traffic by before pulling back out on the track. The car seemed to steer and brake OK, but was WAY down on top-end speed so something was messed up in the front end. Opted to pull into the pits to repair the car (vs. risking driving with a damaged car and causing problems for someone else) and rejoined the race in last place.

Fortunately (for me) it seems attrition kicked in, and I wound up finishing 4th I think?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

There is a Thrustmaster TX for sale here in Canada for 229$ (instead of 400$). I wanted to change my G27 for a Fanatec (+- 1000$) later on next spring, but I've been told that the Thrustmaster is quite a good wheel.

What do you guys think?

c.
I've never used a Thrustmaster wheel, but they do seem to get good reviews. I didn't look at the TX, but did consider the T500RS. But at $500, I was worried that I'd just wind up regretting not spending the extra bills and getting the Fanatec. I'm still getting used to the Fanatec but it seems really nice so far.

At $229CDN, IMO, it's worth a shot, no? Worst case you can probably resell it for that same money and order up a Fanatec.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowing Charles he probably pulled the trigger on it already...

This just in...Yup, he already clicked the Buy me know
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sysgen is right.

I bought it. I will give it a shot and see what comes out of this. If I can save some money over the Fanatec, then I'd be happy!

Will let you know what I think of it once I receive it!

I have 2 G27, one for me and 1 for my son's PS3. I'm currently using his wheel, but he will get Grid for Christmas (he wants to race Mt-Tremblant as he comes with me there quite often but he was too young to recognize the track when he had a passenger ride at 3yo). So I need to give it back to him before...

c.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Sysgen is right.

I bought it. I will give it a shot and see what comes out of this. If I can save some money over the Fanatec, then I'd be happy!

Will let you know what I think of it once I receive it!

I have 2 G27, one for me and 1 for my son's PS3. I'm currently using his wheel, but he will get Grid for Christmas (he wants to race Mt-Tremblant as he comes with me there quite often but he was too young to recognize the track when he had a passenger ride at 3yo). So I need to give it back to him before...

c.

My 10 y/o is getting my G27.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Early Christmas present to myself. Thanks to Jim for the source (just took 2 weeks in UPS hell).
Once I have it up and running I will be selling by GT3 wheel (only a year old) this slope is almost as slippery as the club racing one :-)

Last edited by pmason; 12-12-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread