Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the red mist kind of kicks in during the race some times. I know I screwed up and punted Andrew after a good chase, all my fault. Limped around to the pits for the fast fix. Then a few laps later hit a curb and over I went but landed on the wheels so I kept going, car a little screwy after that.
So how can iRacing get everything else so right and yet have the cars flip when hitting a curb?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmason
I think the red mist kind of kicks in during the race some times. I know I screwed up and punted Andrew after a good chase, all my fault. Limped around to the pits for the fast fix. Then a few laps later hit a curb and over I went but landed on the wheels so I kept going, car a little screwy after that.
So how can iRacing get everything else so right and yet have the cars flip when hitting a curb?
To quote Eric Bana the actor about car racing: "Car racing is primal." I'd say that pretty much sums it up. I find with myself most of the time I do have a primal reaction to everything - losing, winning chasing, being chased, getting wrecked are all from a primitive past. It's primal hunting behavior. But it's a lot better when you get to know who the other drivers are. I had a wreck the other day (non RL race) and the person asked me why did I run into him. I said was because I don't know you!

Sent from NSA HQ using Rennlist Forums
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Agree, as a group we learn how each other drives and learns where someone turns in, brakes etc and it becomes a strategy when and how to make a move. When you don't know someone you have to give up so much as you brake sooner move farther off line and it just makes it harder overall.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Indy Rev
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, as a group we learn how each other drives and learns where someone turns in, brakes etc and it becomes a strategy when and how to make a move. When you don't know someone you have to give up so much as you brake sooner move farther off line and it just makes it harder overall.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Agreed. If we know who each other are, we know who we can push, who we can't push, who will run away if you don't stay on them, and who will probably crash themselves out.

The field is much closer and much tighter now than it was when the league started. It does look like the back of the pack is still a bit of a cluster... though I still say it's not as bad as it used to be.

We've all gotta work on having patience at the start. Give everybody room. Better to lose a spot or two at the start than to dive-bomb, charge hard, and take yourself (or someone else) out completely. Unless you are SURE you're ahead of the guy you just pulled alongside, you should probably assume he's immediately next to you. This is especially true for the guys with the single monitors who don't have as much peripheral. Be sure you're clear. And for the guys with triples, realize the guy next to you might not have triples, he might not be able to see you. Be deliberate in your passes and intentions and make sure they can see you and tell what you're going to do.

Be cool, honey bunny.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

PS - here's the video from last night

Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the video Jim! Can't see much though

I had a great race yesterday, thanks to all the crash in front of me, I managed to move from 10th to 5th I really appreciate the help guys

'90 944S2 - Engine Rebuild, Done!
'14 Audi A3 - Fun daily driver
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Anthony Nguyen
Advanced

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Agreed. If we know who each other are, we know who we can push, who we can't push, who will run away if you don't stay on them, and who will probably crash themselves out.

The field is much closer and much tighter now than it was when the league started. It does look like the back of the pack is still a bit of a cluster... though I still say it's not as bad as it used to be.

We've all gotta work on having patience at the start. Give everybody room. Better to lose a spot or two at the start than to dive-bomb, charge hard, and take yourself (or someone else) out completely. Unless you are SURE you're ahead of the guy you just pulled alongside, you should probably assume he's immediately next to you. This is especially true for the guys with the single monitors who don't have as much peripheral. Be sure you're clear. And for the guys with triples, realize the guy next to you might not have triples, he might not be able to see you. Be deliberate in your passes and intentions and make sure they can see you and tell what you're going to do.

Be cool, honey bunny.
Yep. Im almost always going to spin. I only say almost always cause for the first time. I completed a full clean race!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Got it. Thanks.

Now, if I can just help getting lambasted from the behind at the start of the race while following the field in front of me...
I know thought I had a great start, 9th to 4th in the first corner by taking the inside. They really need to fix the game when it flips you, got a little nudge in 5 from behind nothing major and the car flips. Spend 2 minutes in the pits, come out 17th, but I worked myself back up to 8, was really happy with that.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:41 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Burkey
I know thought I had a great start, 9th to 4th in the first corner by taking the inside. They really need to fix the game when it flips you, got a little nudge in 5 from behind nothing major and the car flips. Spend 2 minutes in the pits, come out 17th, but I worked myself back up to 8, was really happy with that.
Keep in mind that situational awareness is quite a bit lower in the sim. Driving up the inside and picking up a bunch of spots is risky when others might not see you (either out their windows or in their mirrors).
Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Burkey
Racer

Keep in mind that situational awareness is quite a bit lower in the sim. Driving up the inside and picking up a bunch of spots is risky when others might not see you (either out their windows or in their mirrors).
Jim can you take a look at the replay, would be really interested in what you think. I thought it was a safe move as everyone tracks out right, but like you said only my perspective from one car.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Burkey
Jim can you take a look at the replay, would be really interested in what you think. I thought it was a safe move as everyone tracks out right, but like you said only my perspective from one car.
For the record, I wasn't implying anything - I was just going off of what you said and making a statement for the broader audience.

I don't have the replay stuff handy here. I'd be happy to take a look when I get home this evening if you'd really like me to.

Speaking of tonight - anybody down for a practice? We're at Road Atlanta next right?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Burkey
Racer

For the record, I wasn't implying anything - I was just going off of what you said and making a statement for the broader audience.

I don't have the replay stuff handy here. I'd be happy to take a look when I get home this evening if you'd really like me to.

Speaking of tonight - anybody down for a practice? We're at Road Atlanta next right?
Jim no issue at all, I actually thought it was a pretty sweet move, I had been taking an inside line most of the time anyway. I wanted you to take a look because I am still struggling between being too cautious and when to be a little more aggressive. I am in for practice tonight.

Burkey
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM
RHiNoFerOs
6th Gear

I had a pretty good race too last night. Some stuff started making sense in my head and I picked up the pace a lot. Watching the replay I realized I punted Bobby I believe, going into Gurney Bend. Sorry about that.

I also had a weird incident on the last lap. In T7, just after Gurney Bend, my right wheels went on the curb and as I accelerated, the car flipped over. I did come back down on my wheels and finished without losing a position (in the points!). I know Sysgen mentioned the same happened to him once on the same corner. I don't if its me or the sim.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Don't worry about it at all. My race was already kind of forked because of some contact earlier. Instead of being 1 second slower you made me 3 seconds slower!!! That was a homecoming for me, so I was bummed about all the contact. I did a Road Atlanta race immediately after ours and it was pretty cool. Might be able to practice tonight, but I don't it.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread