DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 06:31 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,159 Likes on 993 Posts

Duplicate

Last edited by subshooter; 04-02-2024 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:31 AM
conemasher
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I took my time and finished the spark plugs tonight on my T and replaced the air filter as well. I still need to reinstall the spoiler and bumper tomorrow. I also ended up removing the intercooler and assembly to access the rear plugs. I initially tried without removing it and had a hard enough time accessing the heat shield. The rear plug seemed impossible but once the intercooler was out, it was straightforward.

I followed this guide to remove the bumper and intercooler: https://www.amsperformance.com/wp-co...ler_Kit_98.pdf

Here's the passenger side. Easy access to all the plugs.

Some things I came across:
  1. Some of the hoses/tubes were a little difficult to reinstall. I used a plastic trim tool to push on the clamp and along the rubber adapter to get it seated. If there's enough room, you can twist the tube back and forth.
  2. On step 19 in the guide above, the nylon tube is held in place by a small metal clamp. I couldn't compress it when reinstalling to lock back in place so I'll buy some small hose clamps tomorrow.
  3. On step 20, the intake tube that goes to the compressor inlet is held in place by a clamp with a screw and a rubber o ring. The o ring sits between the clamp.
  4. When removing the intercooler and assembly, do one side first and reassemble in case you forget which screw goes where. You can walk over to the other side and simply look as a reference.
  5. The intercooler assembly has a wire connected to it. I didn't bother removing it and placed the assembly on a chair to hold it in place.
  6. Passenger side heat shield has a screw with tight clearance. There are hard lines in the way so I used a low profile torx bit.

Overall, replacing the plugs was tedious but straightforward. If you can replace the air filter, then you should have no problem replacing the plugs.

Last edited by conemasher; 05-08-2024 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 05-09-2024, 02:45 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 501 Posts

Just an FYI, my Porsche dealer charged about $650 for just the plugs. Well worth it on my opinion, considering one was bad or of the box and needed to be trespassed and misfiring on way home.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Just an FYI, my Porsche dealer charged about $650 for just the plugs. Well worth it on my opinion, considering one was bad or of the box and needed to be trespassed and misfiring on way home.
@Jack F - Curious if you have a 991.1 or 991.2 as well what city this dealer this in as mine charged $975 parts & labor included for my 991.2 C2S (about 3 years ago). I do recall them saying that the .1 cost significantly less to do as the plugs were much easier to access.

Quick Reply: 991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance