Notices
DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024, 10:38 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 501 Posts

Random thought just occurred to me and thought I would post it here. I don't know if I've ever read this in any of the spark plug DIY threads but would it be recommended to use a thread chaser to clean out the socket where the spark plug is installed or does using a thread chaser run the risk of pushing dirt or contaminants down inside. My thinking is that given the risk of spark plugs seizing that running a thread chaser in and out of the socket could help eliminate potential dirt, contaminants, oxidation, etc. that would thereby reduce the risk of spark plugs becoming stuck or difficult to remove years later.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:08 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Random thought just occurred to me and thought I would post it here. I don't know if I've ever read this in any of the spark plug DIY threads but would it be recommended to use a thread chaser to clean out the socket where the spark plug is installed or does using a thread chaser run the risk of pushing dirt or contaminants down inside. My thinking is that given the risk of spark plugs seizing that running a thread chaser in and out of the socket could help eliminate potential dirt, contaminants, oxidation, etc. that would thereby reduce the risk of spark plugs becoming stuck or difficult to remove years later.
Shouldn’t be much crud in there. If you used thread chaser, vacuuming afterwards would be recommended.
Old 08-13-2024, 09:33 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

↑↑ that's what I was thinking, the coil kinda blocks stuff from getting in there

Quick Reply: 991.2 spark plug DIY for 3 year maintenance