Notices

Pinouts for Stilo connector

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:10 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pinouts for Stilo connector

Anyone have the pinout for a Stilo intercom connector?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

ShakeNBake seems to be the resident expert around here. https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-for-de-7.html
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

let me know what you are trying to accomplish and I'll do what I can to help! I've made a few working conversion cables to various other standards now.

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 05-13-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I've adapted a helmet for Stilo using their Emergency Wiring Kit. This gives me a Stilo female on the helmet. I need to be compatible with Stilo and Chatterbox, so I bought an adapter cable.

Then I thought it might be nice to test the helmet, so I tried making an adapter to go from a 3.5mm stereo male (i.e., plug into music source) to 3.5mm 4 conductor female to engage with the chatterbox end of the Stilo to chatterbox cable. Using this website as a guide I wired it up. However, it did not work. I moved some wires around and was able to get it to work, but this leads me to believe I have the wrong pinout for the standard Stilo connector.

Then I had the bright idea of (when solo driving) be able to record commentary to my camera using the Stilo helmet mic. I have a few channels of mixed audio to use, so I built a cable to go from the chatterbox end of the Stilo-chatterbox adapter cable to a 3 conductor 1/4" plug for the mixer. This actually works great, but I want to recreate it as a single cable - i.e., stilo male to 1/4" male. Thus, I need to understand the Stilo pinout and be able to obtain a Stilo male connector.

Hope that's all clear!
db
Old 05-13-2017, 07:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the rugged radio diagram is incorrect (been there!). There are two different stilo standards. The WRC and Trophy. WRC is a NEXUS connector (short stubby), and the Trophy looks like an old NASCAR connector (similar to 1/4" headphone).

Here is what I have verified so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

If you get something like a Rosso ic200 intercom, or a stilo unit, they have an audio in/out to route audio to and from headset in the event you want to record passenger/instructor audio as well.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

That pinout works! Thanks. Both the speakers and mic now test out.
I have been thinking about getting an intercom for the car to facilitate integration into the cam both solo and instructed. I'd have to get/make some adapters for an instructor to hook into common systems. The Rosso looks like a great value.

Anyone check out the tracCom from HMS? Yet another connector standard, but their MA location is close to me and they are great to work with.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbbarron
That pinout works! Thanks. Both the speakers and mic now test out.
I have been thinking about getting an intercom for the car to facilitate integration into the cam both solo and instructed. I'd have to get/make some adapters for an instructor to hook into common systems. The Rosso looks like a great value.

Anyone check out the tracCom from HMS? Yet another connector standard, but their MA location is close to me and they are great to work with.
There have been some positive reviews of the Trac-Com. It's analog with no noise filtering - but seems to be a solid solution.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-trac-com.html
Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There have been some positive reviews of the Trac-Com. It's analog with no noise filtering - but seems to be a solid solution.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-trac-com.html
I've talked to a couple of people with them who have had interference issues in new cars. I don't know if it's the student headset or the unit itself.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Now that I have been researching this topic more, having an intercom in the car for solo driving audio commentary and instructed driving comms seems interesting. From an instructor's perspective, is it odd or awkward to get into a car with a built in intercom (provided the student also has adapter cables for your helmet or headset); would you rather the student just use the comms you bring with you?

From my perspective, where would one typically mount the intercom in a car with a half cage (997.2)? It seems most intercoms are designed for roll cage mount, but this is all behind the driver/instructor in my car, so access for adjustments will be tough. I don't really see another convenient place to mount. Best would be on top of the center console, but no really easy way to do that.

Most instructors seem to just hold the intercom.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:19 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't instruct much anymore, but I would look at a student who provides a com as a motivated guy who wants to learn and is serious about it. The details of connectors etc could be dealt with in the pre-event emails that most orgs seem to encourage these days.

As far as mounting, depending on the size, clipping to a harness belt might be an option if holding it doesn't work.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It wouldn't bother me at all if someone had a communicator hard wired into the car as long as it worked well (which I'm sure your setup will).
Old 05-15-2017, 02:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I've zip-tied my VBOX to the armrest, you could probably do the same with an intercom (far enough back so not to be hit by elbows). Different use case, but I've been trying to figure out where to put my intercom while driving as well. I call a friend so we can talk while on the track together, and sometimes we go as far as to hold a 4-way conversation with passengers in each car. Being able to access to the controls, and being quickly removable are the biggest constraints for me. I'm still playing around with it.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've zip-tied my VBOX to the armrest, you could probably do the same with an intercom (far enough back so not to be hit by elbows). .
That would work, but once harnessed/Hans in, will be tough to adjust. Perhaps if at the very front of the armrest, but then there's elbows.

What are the dimensions of the Stilo DG-10 and Rosso IC-200 you've been playing with? I want to compare to the armrest dimensions. Depth too.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Rosso ic200 is 4 7/8" x 1 3/4" (2 1/4" with *****) x 3 1/8"
Name:  IMG_7522 (1).jpg
Views: 4128
Size:  174.6 KB
Name:  IMG_7523 (1).jpg
Views: 4185
Size:  164.3 KB
Name:  IMG_7525 (1).jpg
Views: 3902
Size:  136.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7526 (1).jpg
Views: 4069
Size:  129.0 KB

Stilo DG-10 is 4 1/2" x 1 1/8" x 2 3/8" (2 3/4" with RCA plugs)
In this pic it's attached to a 12v 3500mAH lipo battery. Name:  IMG_7524 (1).jpg
Views: 4087
Size:  172.5 KB
Old 05-16-2017, 09:16 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I have a mounting idea for the intercom..

Right now, I have a Zoom H5 recorder that I use as a mic and mixer for the SmartyCam (cabin mic, rear plate mic and soon to be intercom) mounted on the dash using a mix of Pro-Clip and RAM brand mounts as shown below.

I don't need access to the H5 when driving (or at all other than to turn it on and occasional levels in the paddock); so I could cage mount that behind me (and relocate the cabin mic forward) and use the ProClip/RAM setup for the intercom. I'll probably have to fab a few little bits. That way the intercom is central and reachable to both the driver and passenger.

The following users liked this post:
ariotofcolor (12-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Pinouts for Stilo connector