Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:42 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default NEW Student/Instructor Communicator System - TRAC-COM

Looking for a more reliable solution to Chatterbox? We are getting GREAT feedback from the new TRAC-COM communicator system. Yes, it's a little more expensive than Chatterbox but offers better sound and options.
  • Dual volume controls
  • Locking headset connectors
  • Removable 9V battery
  • Battery life indicator LED light
  • Heavy duty components
  • Belt clip included
  • Full duplex, driver and passenger can hear themselves and each other all the time, perfect for dialing in the volume!

We have bundled the kit together so here's what you get:

one - TRAC-COM Communicator
one - Student headset
One - adapter cord (to use with your stilo, ROUX/IMSA or NASCAR existing hookup)

If you do not have a helmet pre-wired, you can purchase the Instructor headset separately OR use another student headset.

Here's the link:

http://www.apexperformance.net/Trac-...Kit_p_902.html

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 04-04-2017, 04:56 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Suggestion -- you should put together a kit for people like me who don't have a prewired helmet; either with two student headsets or with the helmet kit (or both as options).

Based on my read of your site, it's cheaper to buy the communicator ($125) and two student headsets ($80/each) for a total of $265 than it is to buy the kit ($244) + an extra student headset ($80) for $324.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Suggestion -- you should put together a kit for people like me who don't have a prewired helmet; either with two student headsets or with the helmet kit (or both as options).

Based on my read of your site, it's cheaper to buy the communicator ($125) and two student headsets ($80/each) for a total of $265 than it is to buy the kit ($244) + an extra student headset ($80) for $324.
Correct. You can buy the communicator separate and two student headsets. We have the kit put together for those that have a pre-wired helmet as the adapters can get confusing so they don't have to piece it together.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I checked these units out at PRI and they were nice. The dual volume controls are what is really needed if you have your own helmet wired for sound. Also, the student headsets are high quality and much nicer than the Chatterbox stuff.

I haven't used one myself, but I would expect it to be top notch.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

ho long are the adapter cables?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I used one of the new generation student headsets HMS is selling under the trac-com brand, and its speaker is much louder than the first generation I got from Tacterion. The new version also has a rubber ring on the earpiece that helps it stay in place (not sure what Apex is selling in that pic, it might be inventory of the older design). The first gen would sometimes fall out of place and the student would lose the ability to hear me, or worse, the headset would drop out of the helmet all together.

Trebein was using a trac-com at COTA this weekend, he might comment here on how it went. I was using a DG10 and it was awesome, especially when doing lead follow with a friend/with students in both his car and mine (two DG10s linked via bluetooth to cell phones, enabling a 4-way conversation).
Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which adapter cord would be most popular? I just passed BMW CCA ITS and my chatterbox already died. I know most other instructors run Stilo helmets but I still run a non-wired Bell helmet.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

The Trac-com can be used with an IMSA or Stilo headset that is hardwired into your helmet - and, since you can also get a IMSA to STILO adapter, it does not really matter which way (Stilo WRC or IMSA) you go at the end of the day.

For a headset you have a few groups of options:

1) Dynamic Mic + Noise isolating Earmuffs + speakers (might not fit your bell)
A stilo version - AE0105 - about $200
Name:  AE0105_300.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  29.7 KB

2) Dynamic Mic + speakers (like the chatterbox helmet kit)
A stilo version - AE0102 - about $100
Name:  AE0102_330.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  25.8 KB
Rugged Radios sells an IMSA version of this - HK-IFSP-M - $95

3) Dynamic Mic + plug for headphones + in-ear-monitors or custom moulded in ear monitors
A Stilo version - AE0315 (Mic & Plug) + AE0300 (Earbuds) - about $300
You could get a converter plug to go from Stilo's Lemo headphone connector to 3.5mm to use any in-ear-monitor.

Racecom also makes an IMSA version - R HK IMSA - $89 that has the mic and 3.5mm headphone connector. R HK IMSA.

Rugged radio makes one as well - HK-IF-M - $89
Name:  HK-IF-M-MD.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  29.2 KB

A good set of In-ear-monitors runs $100 to $200
Name:  foamearpieces-1.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  55.0 KB
Name:  r-p-pscemld.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  66.7 KB

hope that helps! PM me if you have any questions - or I'm sure apex can hook you up as well...it's their thread ;-)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I used one of the new generation student headsets HMS is selling under the trac-com brand, and its speaker is much louder than the first generation I got from Tacterion. The new version also has a rubber ring on the earpiece that helps it stay in place (not sure what Apex is selling in that pic, it might be inventory of the older design). The first gen would sometimes fall out of place and the student would lose the ability to hear me, or worse, the headset would drop out of the helmet all together.

Trebein was using a trac-com at COTA this weekend, he might comment here on how it went. I was using a DG10 and it was awesome, especially when doing lead follow with a friend/with students in both his car and mine (two DG10s linked via bluetooth to cell phones, enabling a 4-way conversation).

We are sourcing them thru HMS so it's the same system. We got the picture from their website so they may have a picture of an old headset.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:24 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, I just spent 4 days straight instructing on COTA with the Trac-Com unit purchased from HMS.

Seems like a solid build of the unit, and the student headsets. Initial thoughts:
  1. Bigger than Chatterbox, but not much.
  2. Earpiece needs to be over ear for best sound, and mic right in front of mouth.
  3. Wind noise for student headset wasn't bad.
  4. VERY susceptible to outside RF interference. My phone in the glovebox would cause interference, and there was a constant buzzing with pitch in relation to engine speed... but not too intrusive. In hindsight, I would put phone in airplane mode or all the way off, hopefully reducing interference.
  5. The student headsets seem sturdy and well-built, and I like the locking connectors. But they better be at $80 a piece!
  6. Volume was sufficiently loud, no more, no less. I had the volume at 100% for every single student and ride - it was even at that level when in the car, talking with car off.
  7. The volume ***** are large and easy to turn, maybe too easy... several times they would turn down when something rubbed against them, and only a slight turn greatly reduced the volume. I may tape them at 100%.
  8. No idea how long battery will last, still on original Duracell Ultra that it came with.
  9. As long as it holds up, I am rather pleased. I wish the interference could be better managed, and the volume ***** had more friction, but it is minor.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:07 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
Correct, I just spent 4 days straight instructing on COTA with the Trac-Com unit purchased from HMS.

Seems like a solid build of the unit, and the student headsets. Initial thoughts:
  1. Bigger than Chatterbox, but not much.
  2. Earpiece needs to be over ear for best sound, and mic right in front of mouth.
  3. Wind noise for student headset wasn't bad.
  4. VERY susceptible to outside RF interference. My phone in the glovebox would cause interference, and there was a constant buzzing with pitch in relation to engine speed... but not too intrusive. In hindsight, I would put phone in airplane mode or all the way off, hopefully reducing interference.
  5. The student headsets seem sturdy and well-built, and I like the locking connectors. But they better be at $80 a piece!
  6. Volume was sufficiently loud, no more, no less. I had the volume at 100% for every single student and ride - it was even at that level when in the car, talking with car off.
  7. The volume ***** are large and easy to turn, maybe too easy... several times they would turn down when something rubbed against them, and only a slight turn greatly reduced the volume. I may tape them at 100%.
  8. No idea how long battery will last, still on original Duracell Ultra that it came with.
  9. As long as it holds up, I am rather pleased. I wish the interference could be better managed, and the volume ***** had more friction, but it is minor.
Thanx
Since a lot still use the chatterbox system how would you compare the two based on your list above?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

*VERY susceptible to outside RF interference. My phone in the glovebox would cause interference, and there was a constant buzzing with pitch in relation to engine speed... but not too intrusive. In hindsight, I would put phone in airplane mode or all the way off, hopefully reducing interference.
*The volume ***** are large and easy to turn, maybe too easy... several times they would turn down when something rubbed against them, and only a slight turn greatly reduced the volume. I may tape them at 100%.
Interesting note on the interference. The unit at PRI had some, but they said it was from the mercury lights in the exhibition hall. They told me it wouldn't be there in use. I also wondered about the **** a little, but they seemed like they would be ok. I wonder if a dab of silicone at the bottom would hold them a little?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:51 AM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Thanx
Since a lot still use the chatterbox system how would you compare the two based on your list above?
Ok, now after using the system again this past weekend, I have more information and a better-informed opinion.

First of all, regarding the interference, as long as cell phones were in airplane mode so that the cell phone radio was turned off, there was no problem at all. There was a very slight buzzing in relation to the engine rpm, but this was only audible at standstill... once moving and on track you couldn't hear it above all else, so no big deal at all. Audio quality is great and clear.

Second, the build quality seems to be holding up, both the unit and headsets... so that's nice to report. Definitely worlds above the Chatterbox.

Third, the original 9V battery is still in it and working fine, so now it's had 5 hard days of instructing, and the battery still works. Impressive battery life, and the instructions mentioned that a rechargeable battery could be used.

It's almost twice as large as the Chatterbox... about the size of a pack of Altoid mints or a box of cigarettes. I wouldn't helmet mount it, but the size is not intrusive and it comes with a belt clip as well. Hold it in your hand, slip it in a pocket, whatever.

In conclusion, I would definitely purchase this system over the Chatterbox. We all know over time the Chatterbox headsets break, and their build quality is questionable for long term use and abuse. I have a good bit of faith in the Trac-com system at this point, and don't regret my purchase decision at all... I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially over the Chatterbox.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok, now after using the system again this past weekend, I have more information and a better-informed opinion.

First of all, regarding the interference, as long as cell phones were in airplane mode so that the cell phone radio was turned off, there was no problem at all. There was a very slight buzzing in relation to the engine rpm, but this was only audible at standstill... once moving and on track you couldn't hear it above all else, so no big deal at all. Audio quality is great and clear.

Second, the build quality seems to be holding up, both the unit and headsets... so that's nice to report. Definitely worlds above the Chatterbox.

Third, the original 9V battery is still in it and working fine, so now it's had 5 hard days of instructing, and the battery still works. Impressive battery life, and the instructions mentioned that a rechargeable battery could be used.

It's almost twice as large as the Chatterbox... about the size of a pack of Altoid mints or a box of cigarettes. I wouldn't helmet mount it, but the size is not intrusive and it comes with a belt clip as well. Hold it in your hand, slip it in a pocket, whatever.

In conclusion, I would definitely purchase this system over the Chatterbox. We all know over time the Chatterbox headsets break, and their build quality is questionable for long term use and abuse. I have a good bit of faith in the Trac-com system at this point, and don't regret my purchase decision at all... I would do it again in a heartbeat, especially over the Chatterbox.
Have you been in a loud car with it yet? I'm a little concerned about the overall volume output. My brother bought this unit and stated pretty much the same stuff as you in that it's a great unit, the clarity of the speakers is great with no distortion but he's afraid it's not going to be loud enough in noisy cars.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

With these dynamic mics it's really important to get them close to the driver's mouth. I had some trouble with a student who was wearing a balaclava and positioned the mic far away from their mouth - she could hear me fine, but I could not hear her well enough.

Quick Reply: NEW Student/Instructor Communicator System - TRAC-COM