AiM MXL vs MXL 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM
the5
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AiM MXL vs MXL 2

Hey guys,
Debating on going with an AiM MXL or and MXL2.
Other than the appearance/form differences are there any other main differences between the two units? there is about a $1000 price difference I am trying to justify

Thanks!
Eric
Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Ok.

The MXL Pista (logging dash suitable for race cars and track day cars) is no longer manufactured.

Introduced in 2004 in three versions, the Strada (non-logging) and Pista (logging) and Pro005 (logging, with more memory and power), AiM added the GPS antenna option in 2008.

New MXL Pista price (until it was discontinued last year) was $1999. Plus the GPS option, first at $399, then lowered to $299. Used, they're about a third to half off, IF you can find one.

The MXL2 is ALL new. It includes the GPS-08 antenna as part of the deal, has wireless data transfer (as well as configuration), a USB port for hard wire download, a new file system, MUCH more memory (never have to worry about that again) and conditional alarms. MASSIVE improvement. $1999 new, for harness, antenna and dash logger.

So yes, lots of differences.

Are you sure you're not pricing an old MXL Strada (non-logging dash replacement, basically an electronic instrument cluster)? They sold new for $1149 and are discontinued also. No good for the track. Should be able to find them for $500 or a little more used.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 PM
the5
Intermediate

Well I have an AIM MXL Pista In my hands with GPS that I picked up for a very good price, How much memory is that good for? As an Endurance racer that makes a huge difference for me.

I have two Cars, Both need data systems to record everything along with Smarty cams. Thinking of going with the MXL in one and MXL2 in the other.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Excellent, by all means the MXL Pista is a robust and reliable piece. Glad you got the GPS for it. 8 MB memory, good for about 3 hours on average. You might be able to add a memory module to expand capacity, but while they list this as an option, I haven't seen on in the flesh yet.

MXL2's a nice piece, too. 4 GB memory, enough for a year or two of running every week!

Both the Pista and the MXL will integrate nicely with the SmartyCams, you'll need a Data Hub to plug in the antenna and SmartyCam to each dash's Expansion port.

Let me know if I can help with AiM equipment. I'm a good sized dealer.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

To add to what Peter said, the MXL2 (and MXS and MXG) have newer and better A/D converters, higher speed logging through the channel expansions, 2 CAN hookups instead of 1, 2 digital outs, and more. If it was me, I would run 2 MXL2 and then you will nto have to do any updates/changes for a long time.

PM incoming.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM
the5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Excellent, by all means the MXL Pista is a robust and reliable piece. Glad you got the GPS for it. 8 MB memory, good for about 3 hours on average. You might be able to add a memory module to expand capacity, but while they list this as an option, I haven't seen on in the flesh yet.

MXL2's a nice piece, too. 4 GB memory, enough for a year or two of running every week!

Both the Pista and the MXL will integrate nicely with the SmartyCams, you'll need a Data Hub to plug in the antenna and SmartyCam to each dash's Expansion port.

Let me know if I can help with AiM equipment. I'm a good sized dealer.
You will be the first one I contact as you took the time to write this all out and explain it to me, obviously you are very knowledgable on the topic and are willing to talk haha!

Would this expand the memory on the MXL? Need to make at least 10 hours
http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...ykey/index.htm
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Those memory keys are available.

On the MXL Pista, in Race Studio 2, when you are setting up the Pista on the top it will show you how long it will being able to record for. Depending on what sensors you have, it could log for quiet a while.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, that should do it. 32 MB, so 12 hours without too many sensors (that cuts into the time).

I have had a little trouble with older versions of those.

I think there's a new model of that out now that works a little better, but the AiM site lists this as available on the link you posted and as discontinued on the link under legacy products here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/out...-key/index.htm

What I would like to sell is the memory module that uses an SD card and plugs into the Data Hub. Think gigabytes of memory! I know that's coming, just don't know when.

Quick Reply: AiM MXL vs MXL 2