LCU-One

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Default LCU-One

Based on what I read on the AiM site, it seems that I could run 2 LCU-One's on my car. One for each bank of cylinders. I already have the O2 sensor bung welded in on both sides, and I have the Innovate Motorsports LM-2 setup (Bosch O2 sensors and the LM-2 handheld plus the Innovate interface units).

So my questions for Jerry, Peter or Matt are these.....

Can I simply buy two LCU-Ones (CAN variety) and connect them to my MXL2 in my 73 911S? I know I will need a data hub, and have a spare one available. I really don't want my MFI engine going lean on me, and it's running pretty fat right now. Would prefer to get some realtime data for tuning purposes. Will also program a dash alert if the engine goes lean during operation.

Secondly, how much do these LCU-Ones cost? Thanks guys!

Toby
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Yes, two LCU One CAN's and a data hub. Can see AFR on the MXL2 screen and program separate alarms for each bank and out of range variables. Great setup and a big step up over the Daytona UEGO and AEM units. Plug and play.

$399/ea
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter! Appreciate the quick response!

Toby
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

A couple of notes too. Real early firmware didn't allow the LCU One. You should be fine if you've updated in a year (though you should be doing it every time).

The alarm can't be just for a lambda over some value because it will go lean on overrun and make you dash constantly light up. You need (and really only want) to know if it's lean at large throttle openings. Pretty easy to set up in the alarms. You really want to see .88 and probably alarm over .92 or so. I would check with your engine builder.

The LCU One is really nice and easy because of the plug and play nature, but any lambda setup can do the same. The Daytona and AEM units work fine along with a myriad of others. The same alarm setups are possible too.

If I remember right, you've worked a bunch with Jerry. I'm sure he can get you all set up. If you need any help, post up and we'll get you squared away.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a screen shot to show what I was talking about. You can see the lambda spike up a bit after the throttle closes. I don't have data from an MFI car, but it happens on EFI and carbed cars, so I would expect it on yours too.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

As an alternative, I suggest considering units like those from AEM. Perhaps a less expensive alternative than the AIM solution

I have an AEM digital wideband controller/gauge and it has an analog output. I simply connected this output to my EVO4 (purchased from Peter Krause), and created a custom sensor in the AIM software using values that AEM provided.

AEM also sell an in-line wideband set up for those that don't want/need the gauge/display.

If your Innovate set up works well for you and they provide an analog output, all you need to do is connect it to your AIM system and create a custom sensor in the AIM software like I did. It is really very easy. And of course you can create an alarm set up just like Matt describes.

So in this case you would not have to buy anything except maybe a connector. I took a quick peek at the LM-2 manual and it looks like they provide appropriate output(s).

- Mike
Old 06-06-2016, 04:20 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

See, e.g., pages 17-20 of the Innovate manual.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok. There is always confusion between AiM proprietary CAN communications (among AiM loggers, cameras, displays, thermocouple amps, analog channel expansions and the LCU-One CAN) and regular logger analog sensor inputs.

The voltage output from the AEM, Daytona and Innovate (among others), as Mike says, is simple to connect to a CH input on a logger (generic 0-5V input) and of course, you make a custom sensor with the AFR and corresponding voltage output to log and display the channel.

The benefits of the AiM device CAN are that you can daisy chain multiple accessories, cameras and even multiple LCU-Ones, add the "expansion" (additional device, in AiM-speak) and everything is there. I have struggled with both innovate and Daytona wideband Lamda control units and had a difficult and inaccurate time, so I like the certainty of the LCU One. But that's just me.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The LCU-One is the easiest to setup too. But, if Toby already has the Innovative units with the analogue outputs, it might be worth just using those. It really comes down to time available, budget, and desire to make something up himself.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

It took me a just a few minutes to connect my AEM wideband output directly to my EVO4, and to use the values AEM provided to configure the logging of AFR. Literally just minutes. Trivial compared to other aspects of using the AIM system.

If I trust the information provided on the AEM display, then I think I can trust the information I log with the EVO4 based upon the AEM output and AEM-provided data table.

If the OP trusts the output of the Innovate wideband, and they provide the necessary analog output and data table (equating the analog voltage output to AFR numbers) then I think that is the easiest and cheapest way to log AFR and alarms can be set in the AIM software.

I would think that if the car was tuned trusting the Innovate system, this would be an even greater reason to consider going this route instead of investing $500-1000 just to have an all-AIM CAN based set-up.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I used Race Render and my simple AIM data to render a video that shows throttle position, RPM and AFR.

I have a light that shows when I brake and a light that shows WOT on either side of the throttle position bar, which shows me a per cent value.

The brake light input is from my brake light switch (on/off) and the WOT light is just set in Race Render to come on at 100% throttle. The throttle signal input to AIM is just a t connection off of the TPS required by my Haltech EFI. No extra sensor required.

If you look closely, you will see a small green light in my dash. It is connected to a small microswitch on my Porsche throttle body and set up for illumination at 100% throttle. I also have a dash-mounted brake light similarly set up. So I can review in-car video immediately after a session and see brake on/off and WOT.

Very simple.

I have not yet created an AFR alarm for my dash (Gdash also purchased from Peter), and I appreciate Matt's perspective on thinking carefully about how to do so.

And of course, I could not have done any of these simple things without support and encouragement from the brain trust here and Dave and Ellen at Veracity.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2016, 10:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's a good community!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I actually DO have the Innovative Motorsports setup in the car currently. It was connected to my original TrackMate. The one thing I would offer up about the Innovative setup is that the wiring can be messy and easily jumbled. I have purchased an MXL2 dash for the car, along with several sensors (throttle position, steering angle, brake pressure, oil pressure, fuel cell sensor, etc....) and a SmartyCamHD GP. I like the simplicity of the 719 cables for connection of the LCU-One to the AiM Datahub. The added bonus of having built-in sensor definitions is also a plus. Obviously, there are positives and negatives to every situation, AND each owner has his/her own preferences. For now, I am going for consistency and simplicity. I *DO* appreciate the commentary, and in fact, that is why I posted the topic originally. I want to learn as much as I can, and I believe posting the question here will generate exactly the kinds of commentary posted so far. I believe that knowledge-sharing is the benefit of this forum, so again, thanks to all who commented - and please keep the comments running!

Matt, thanks for the details and graph you posted. Most definitely looking for flat spots and lean conditions under WOT. With the TPS, I can measure both TPS percentage and AFR to look for a warning condition (TPS>75% and AFR>13). The educational part will be the programming of this rule in RS3.

Thanks again all for the input. I do hope this thread will continue for the benefit of others.

Toby
Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Matt, thanks for the details and graph you posted. Most definitely looking for flat spots and lean conditions under WOT. With the TPS, I can measure both TPS percentage and AFR to look for a warning condition (TPS>75% and AFR>13). The educational part will be the programming of this rule in RS3.
Toby
No problem. Lets keep the sharing going!

Don't look below if you don't want the spoiler. Here is how to put the alarm in the dash. Just change channel names and/or numbers. You can also make it alarm as just a light, message, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 898 Likes on 437 Posts

You can't get the actual AFR from the AIM LCU One? What is it? Some percentage of a reference value? What does AIM view as the reference ratio?

Quick Reply: LCU-One