LCU-One

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You can't get the actual AFR from the AIM LCU One? What is it? Some percentage of a reference value? What does AIM view as the reference ratio?
Yes, you can get an AFR, IIRC. The reference ratio is set in the configuration according to a dropdown menu for fuel choice, IIRC.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You can't get the actual AFR from the AIM LCU One? What is it? Some percentage of a reference value? What does AIM view as the reference ratio?
I'm not sure what you are asking about with the reference value.

The LCU-One will give you lambda or AFR (which is calculated from lambda). Most engine builders look at lambda and that is what O2 sensors actually read.

The two examples I showed are not from an LCU-One unit, but the data is the same and the alarms would be the same except for the channel names.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Sorry about any confusion I caused.

I simply meant to indicate that if the OP already has a working and trusted AFR/Lambda value-providing system like the LM-2, and it offers an analog output (or two if there are two oxygen sensors) that provides a voltage that corresponds to the AFR/Lambda value, then likely just connecting this system to an AIM input will allow values to be logged and alarms to be established.

AEM and Innovate (LM-2) and perhaps others have products with such outputs and provide the necessary voltage to AFR/Lambda equations or look-up tables in their documentation so you can easily configure these channnels in the AIM software. In my case it took 5 minutes to connect the AEM output wire to one of my EVO4 inputs and to type in the values in RS2 software sensor configuration set up process. One wire to connect and some typing-- all of about 5 mintes.

No benefit of buying the AIM AFR/LAMDA product and eliminating my AEM product that I could justify.

Just an alternative and far less expensive approach if one already has AFR/Lambda HW that they trust and has the appropriate output line and documentation.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

And not to put too fine a point on things...

I tried an LM-1 for a while and couldn't get it to work in my application. So I sold it. Innovate had terrible support and they had a bunch of SW "grannies" related to exhaust heat and calibration that I just couldn't deal with.

I bought an AEM unit as did several of my friends and we have used them successfully for years.

Being able to log AFR/Lambda values to match with throttle position and rpm was one of the tertiary reasons I bought the EVO4/Gdash from Peter. I knew my AEM had an appropriate output and documentation so I figured that there was no need to buy AIMS expensive wideband gadget.

To connect the AEM output to the AIM input cost me a sub $0.01 butt splice and a 2" piece of 1/4" diameter black shrink tubing.

I looked around again last Fall at widebands, and there are a lot of choices and plusses and minusses. Along with a range of reported experiences. But as my friends and I trusted our AEM units I stuck with that.

So if you have a system that you trust and use(d) for tuning and/or monitoring, and it has the necessary features and documentation... in my opinion and experience... heck why not use what ya already got.

- MM
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Innovate does give you a table that you can use with their 0-5 volt analog outputs. I've used the Innovate systems without trouble for a bunch of years. I think the LCU-One is a better unit and easier to use if you have a dash.

Not to nit pick, but it was at more than just a butt connector to hookup your system. You either needed an Binder 712 connector at around $10 or a patch cable with the end cut off for $39.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:08 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I also chased lots of problems with the Innovate (overheating, need for frequent calibration, etc).

I switched to the AEM UEGO a few years ago and I've had 0 issues.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

Not to nit pick, but it was at more than just a butt connector to hookup your system. You either needed an Binder 712 connector at around $10 or a patch cable with the end cut off for $39.
I wish AiM would sell 719 cables with one end unterminated. I've got so many of the unused ends sitting around...
Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Sorry-- thanks for the correction Matt.

My AIM provider threw in some of the necessary single-ended wires, gratis. Value-added. I am sure that you and others do the same from time to time.

And I hope that you ALL know that we really appreciate the support and evangelism. I think if I had to give ONLY ONE recommendation to a company like AIM, it would not be better documentation or release/rollout execution or SW robustness... it'd be to find a way to reward ya'll for what you have done and continue to do as evangelists. And "y'all" would include folks like the AIM USA staff in CA and VA and Mr. Caddell.

- MM
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AFR

Scott

You do get AFR as a data item from the LCU-ONE
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you guys with the LCU-One unit, just picked mine up at the track this weekend and there doesn't seem to be any mounting holes, do you guys just fabricate a U bracket or something to mount it?
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pmason
Question for you guys with the LCU-One unit, just picked mine up at the track this weekend and there doesn't seem to be any mounting holes, do you guys just fabricate a U bracket or something to mount it?
Velcro is your friend!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:18 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Velcro is a brand name that you get at Wal-Mart. I use 3M Dual Lock which is super strong and buy it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-...sable+fastener
Old 06-13-2016, 04:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, ordered the 3m stuff.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:51 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 899 Likes on 438 Posts

Does the LCU-One work with the standard Bosch 17025 LSU 4.9 Wide Band O2 Sensor or does it require a proprietary sensor purchased through AiM?

Quick Reply: LCU-One