Notices

AIM Analysis questions - Adding Corners to Track Maps and removing bad laps

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AIM Analysis questions - Adding Corners to Track Maps and removing bad laps

I have googled this and watched videos to no avail. I have decent data now for my weekend at COTA, but I foolishly want a track map where the corner numbers match the official track map. I have tried desperately to use the Modify Track Map after doing the Map -> New function is RS2Analysis 2.55.60, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set the corners up correctly. There are "Divide", "Remove", "Remove all" and another button that toggles between "Straight,". "Corner 1", and "Corner 2", but I can't get a Corner 3 or Corner 4 for anything.

Alternative : does someone already have an MP file for COTA they could send me?

Second question : How can I avoid loading laps that are obviously too short - I thought I did this before, but now can't find it. When I look at a session I don't want a 0:18.223 second lap to be my "best lap" for that "test". I only want real laps. Is there some way to remove them after I have loaded them into RS2Analysis? Is there some way to ignore them during the import?

Thanks for any and all help...

James
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 528 Posts

I can't help you with the corner number, but instead may I suggest you divide your track maps in segments that will allow you to do segment analysis and look at best theoretical laps. You can set segments from brake zone (top speed before braking) to brake zone.

With respect to hiding sessions that are too short, simply click on the "Hide" tick mark when importing and only import the sessions that you want. If you want to hide individual laps, click on the Lap Manager tab and right click on the individual laps you want to hide. If you imported them already, click on the Test Database tab and double click on the test you want to remove.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Long story short on the segments- you can't.

For laps, right click on the short laps and make them I active. Delete short sessions.

If you have lots of short sessions, go into your dash configuration (you have an MXL2 right?) and set the start recording function to 800 rpm and 15 mph and you won't get all the start ups.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Long story short on the segments- you can't.
Ah, I will quit wasting time on THAT endeavor, LOL.

You would think someone would hack the MP filetype and make a good one for each track. You would also think that AIM would publish those, since they do something similar for the GPS manager. But I digress

For laps, right click on the short laps and make them inactive.
That finally worked. Here's the exact steps for future searchers : Open RS2Analysis. Double-click your test name. On the left side, right-click on the "fast" lap you want to disable, and select Disable Lap. This should highlight your new (correct) fastest lap. Select it with a checkmark. UNSELECT the old fast lap (which is now disabled). Only one lap should be selected, and it should be your correct fastest lap. Now on the buttons over the lap info, click the "Close Test" button. Now if you shut down RS2Analysis and restart it, it will show that as your fastest lap in the test database. MUCH easier to sort your sessions.

Delete short sessions.
Jerry Austin recommended not even importing anything that only has one lap. I have been importing them all and deleting the one-lap test files that have a time less than my real fast lap time.

If you have lots of short sessions, go into your dash configuration (you have an MXL2 right?) and set the start recording function to 800 rpm and 15 mph and you won't get all the start ups.
I've been playing with that and still haven't figured out something that will keep it off when driving from paddock to grid, but will keep it on during double yellows (where occasionally you actually stop), through a black flag, or through a pit stop.

It would be REALLY NICE if they had ONE set of criteria for STARTING recording and a SEPARATE ONE for stopping it. Having it SHARE that data is UNSMART.

But anyway, thanks as always for the help, and hopefully you and Jay and your families come up to Parade since it's not THAT far from you this year

James
Old 05-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Two other options that will help you out. When you are in the Lap Manager tab, on the top right, click the wrench button. Then select the top box for automatically disabling laps not coming from a lap marker. That will automatically deselect in and out laps, making your life a little easier.

For downloads, select the option to group all sessions from a day together. That way if you download after every session, even if you stop and it records it as a new session, the data will be put into 1 file.

I agree with Jerry on not downloading 1 lap sessions - unless you are having a GPS problem.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 AM
jshoffit
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
...automatically disabling laps not coming from a lap marker. That will automatically deselect in and out laps, making your life a little easier.
Wow, had no idea that tiny wrench was there! That does help!

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
For downloads, select the option to group all sessions from a day together. That way if you download after every session, even if you stop and it records it as a new session, the data will be put into 1 file.
I'll have to play with that. If you don't have time between sessions, can you select, for instance, 3 of the 5 "files" and have it download them into 1? Then after that, download the other 2 files into 1?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:35 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

James

Great to see you again at COTA. I like your idea of having different stop criteria. I'll suggest that to AIM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM
jshoffit
Track Day

Wink

Originally Posted by amso3
Great to see you again at COTA.
Great to see you again - every time we meet up, I learn something about AIM!

Will you be at Road America?

Originally Posted by amso3
I like your idea of having different stop criteria. I'll suggest that to AIM.
That would be fantastic, but since I own a software company, I know how customer suggestions are sometimes handled

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 AM
synfinatic
1st Gear

So you _can_ get the track map to correspond to whatever you normally call them (Turn 1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

It's a little confusing, but Coroner 1 vs Coroner 2 by default maps to Left (blue) vs Right (red) and Straight is green. Each time you create a new segment, if you mark it as a Coroner, it will create a new turn (1, 2, 3, 4, etc)

The only thing you can't do is things like Turn 8 and then Turn 8a (like the esses @ Sears Point). For things like that, you have to either label both Turn 8 or deal with the numbering being off.

Divide = Adds a segment (turn or straight)
Remove = Removes a segment
Corner 1 = Left turn (blue)
Corner 2 = Right turn (red)
Straight = green

Unfortunately, AiM likes to make people click buttons to change the value rather then using a drop down. So to change the kind of segment, you have to click the Coroner 1, Coroner 2, Straight until it is labeled like you like it.

Once you create the map like you like it, be sure to save it. Then you can load it in other sessions for the same track so you don't have to fix it again.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

James,

I will be at RA and I did send a suggestion that AIM create a stop criteria in the Parameters. AIM has been very responsive in the past, and your idea is a good one. We'll see.

Quick Reply: AIM Analysis questions - Adding Corners to Track Maps and removing bad laps