Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hah! That's another reason why I have this cringeworthy issue with whspd. People wouldn't measure their circumference and comparing drivers, car set up, et cetera on the same weekend between similar cars (if I wasn't the one responsible for maintaining and calibrating the systems) was a mess.
BTDT
Old 01-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks gentlemen.

I will give the interstate a try since I will need to drive the car anyway. It might be a while since we have a lot of rain in the forecast.

Instead of stalling the car, I might just put a temporary switch in the tach/rpm signal going to the EVO4. That way when I come to a stop I can disconnect the engine speed signal going to the EVO4. I guess it needs a zero speed, zero rpm condition at the end of the run.

I have added wheel speed sensing to older Porsches before-- I thought you may have had a different "easy" solution. Some of my friends may have one around here--- I think they fit wheel speed sensors in their Motec program. I think they use a custom sensor wheel near the CV joint. If I discover that they have some bolt on parts, I will let folks know in this thread.

I have no desire to add wheel speed at present. The cost and work involved outweigh what I currently perceive as potential benefits.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hah! That's another reason why I have this cringeworthy issue with whspd. People wouldn't measure their circumference and comparing drivers, car set up, et cetera on the same weekend between similar cars (if I wasn't the one responsible for maintaining and calibrating the systems) was a mess.
I think wheelspeed is handy, but not for "wheel speed"

On my car it's a convenient way of telling if I braked into ABS or if I had a wheel spinning under acceleration. It's more to look at the shape of the graph than to the actual absolute values.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I think wheelspeed is handy, but not for "wheel speed"

On my car it's a convenient way of telling if I braked into ABS or if I had a wheel spinning under acceleration. It's more to look at the shape of the graph than to the actual absolute values.
I am speaking of pre ABS cars, historic cars, when adding whlspd sensors.

On cars with ABS, you HAVE to have whlspd sensors as part of a functioning system and for most of those cars, you can get those over CAN (or OBDII).

Yes, quite useful to scan these sensors. As you say, a glance at the trace is all that is usually required. Outliers down (under braking) are ABS triggers, outliers up are traction issues.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am speaking of pre ABS cars, historic cars, when adding whlspd sensors.

On cars with ABS, you HAVE to have whlspd sensors as part of a functioning system and for most of those cars, you can get those over CAN (or OBDII).

Yes, quite useful to scan these sensors. As you say, a glance at the trace is all that is usually required. Outliers down (under braking) are ABS triggers, outliers up are traction issues.
Very nice to have the ABS sensors to check data. Add in a slip math channel, and you can spot things real quick.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have made a bit more progress with my installation.

I create a second version of my dash, retaining the AIM UEGO gauge, PAG Oil P and Oil T gauge and the large low oil pressure warning light. I have only driven on the street so far, but I think I will easily get used to a tachless dash on track.

I think after one track event with this configuration I will create a third version with just the G-dash.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

The EVO 4 is installed on the transmission tunnel in front of the shift tower. I will probably fab up a carbon fiber box for it so the wiring cannot be kicked by driver or passengers.

The GPS antenna I have is an older style with a big plastic connector. I did not want to drill a hole in my roof for this connector. First I tried to remove the pin, but that can be difficult with this type of RF connector. So I ended up buying a replacement connector for ~$11 from AIM, and cut the antenna wire. Then I re-terminated the wire after it was routed.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I drove the car on the street attempting to run the AIM gear calculation procedure. Instead of stalling the car to stop the EVO4 from seeing rpms when I stopped, I put a temporary switch in its rpm feed. So when I came to a stop, I left the car running and just switched the EVO rpm feed off.

Not sure what I did wrong, but the gear calculation procedure dd not work. I read all of the AIM instructions and tried to follow the advice from experts here, but I failed to get a result nonetheless.

I really want to ensure everything is working before I get to a track event if that is at all possible. I really don't care too much about the gearing record in data, but it would be nice to get it working properly if possible. One other thing that isn't clear is whether it works well enough to match up clearly with a driver's shifting captured on video. I suspect that synchronization will be a bit compromised since it is based on an algorithm.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I do not like the fact that to change pages I have to reach up to the dash. I suspect some of the other AIM and Motec products allow you to add a remote PB switch to change dash pages.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I do not like the fact that to change pages I have to reach up to the dash. I suspect some of the other AIM and Motec products allow you to add a remote PB switch to change dash pages.
The newer MXL2/MXS/MXG will allow remote buttons, but not an Evo4. You'll have to reach up to the dash.

For the gear calc, I've not had to kill the RPM at the end when I do it. I just start the procedure, run through the gears, then it works.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
For the gear calc, I've not had to kill the RPM at the end when I do it. I just start the procedure, run through the gears, then it works.
That is the recommendation of Robbie at AiM Lake Elsinore.

Mike, try Matt's suggestion but I think you should also call AiM in Lake Elsinore and David F, too. I've had very spotty success (usually not so much) setting calc gear. In over 400 systems... But, I have seen it work, so it IS possible.

I don't use it until after-the-fact in the software end, which is easy.

The only reason to set it before is for the G-Dash or dash display and for SmartyCam gear position overlay, IMO.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I find it interesting that two experts have different experiences with configuring such a basic capability.

I will give it a few more tries on the street (though not a lot since gas is $9/gallon) and if that doesn't work, on the track.

I don't care if the dash displays the gear. What I'd like is for the configuration to be ready for what I hope will be an eventual SmartyCam addition to my system. I will likely have the driver's hand in the camera FOV so I should be able to see "shift events." But it would be nice to at least have the option of having the gear displayed with other data in the SC video frame.

And I gather from Peter's comments that there is a way to "see/adjust" gear selection information ex post facto. Perhaps there is an AIM training video out there somewhere that talks about this.

In some situations for some products, I would not sign off on a feature that just created tech support questions. Hard to tell in this case if the product is not robust, or the supporting documentation is not robust or a combination of the two.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. I find it interesting that two experts have different experiences with configuring such a basic capability.

Hard to tell in this case if the product is not robust, or the supporting documentation is not robust or a combination of the two.
http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ce_108_eng.pdf

Supporting documentation.

Math channel creation (in the software) for gear position channel, after the fact.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

BOOM! Thanks Peter. I will take a look.

And maybe go for another drive on Friday (after we set up Winders' car) to see if I can get the other process completed.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I will give it a few more tries on the street (though not a lot since gas is $9/gallon) and if that doesn't work, on the track.

I don't care if the dash displays the gear. What I'd like is for the configuration to be ready for what I hope will be an eventual SmartyCam addition to my system. I will likely have the driver's hand in the camera FOV so I should be able to see "shift events." But it would be nice to at least have the option of having the gear displayed with other data in the SC video frame.

And I gather from Peter's comments that there is a way to "see/adjust" gear selection information ex post facto. Perhaps there is an AIM training video out there somewhere that talks about this.

In some situations for some products, I would not sign off on a feature that just created tech support questions. Hard to tell in this case if the product is not robust, or the supporting documentation is not robust or a combination of the two.
All of the current training videos are at https://vimeo.com/aimsports. Roger covers a ton of common areas that people have problems with along with a couple of versions of his seminars (shortened). There is some great material there!

Quick Reply: Installing Data Acq. System