Notices

Installing Data Acq. System

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

Peter or anyone else...

Where can I find the "TPS Wizard" in RS2? I have looked around and clicked around to no avail thus far.

I tried the online view again last night and actuated the brake pedal which is a +12 VDC or 0 VDC signal. I couldn't see anything happening in RS2. Am I supposed to be able to see a state change?

I have a channel for 0 to +5 VDC that correponds to AFR. Where do I enter the voltage versus AFR readings?

Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Peter or anyone else...

Where can I find the "TPS Wizard" in RS2? I have looked around and clicked around to no avail thus far.

I tried the online view again last night and actuated the brake pedal which is a +12 VDC or 0 VDC signal. I couldn't see anything happening in RS2. Am I supposed to be able to see a state change?

I have a channel for 0 to +5 VDC that correponds to AFR. Where do I enter the voltage versus AFR readings?

Ok, couple of answers.

The TPS calibration wizard is under the main RS2 page, radio button on the left that says "Device Calibration."

If you set the sensor type properly as a "Zero based sensor," and measure units as "%," with the range from 0-100, then it should appear below the three accelerometer sensors (which offer an Autocalibrate all sensors" button, which you should use) in a separate window.

When you select the TPS calibration button on the right, you will open the wizard window, which will ask you FIRST to fully depress the throttle with the power on and press the calibration button that coincides with 100%, then let off the throttle and press the button which coincides with off throttle (0%), then press Transmit to send the calibration to the logger. It will clear the memory of data when you do this, so pull first if you want to save anything.

On the live monitoring, the only place you'll see this in RS2 is the "Online" radio button on the left of the main screen.

You''ll make a "Custom Sensor" for the other two. Will look for the link on how to do that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-23-2015, 02:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

https://www.scribd.com/doc/251022548...VZLButBOHCJNVt

Let me know if this doesn't work.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Peter or anyone else...

Like Peter said, custom sensors for the AFR and brake pedal. Brakes will be just two positions 0 and 1 for on and off. AFR will follow whatever the out put calibration is of the device your using (watch as some output lambda when they internally calculate and display AFR).

If everything is wired right, you'll see the brake on/off channel change when you're in the online function. I'm not sure I would go crazy hooking this up as you'll end up using long G far more than brake on/off. Brake pressure will be far more useful.

Did you or Peter make the cable for this? It should be the white wire if you are using a cut up AiM cable. I personally don't like to put 12v into the dashes as they are made for 5v, but dont' overload at 12v.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Did you or Peter make the cable for this? It should be the white wire if you are using a cut up AiM cable. I personally don't like to put 12v into the dashes as they are made for 5v, but dont' overload at 12v.
Yep, Mike has the color code for the unterminated patch cables.

I had the same question on the 5V vs 12V, but Josh and everyone else said to me "fuggeduboutit." And it works.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys!

The "zero based sensor" choice is the key I was looking for to unlock the door.!

The TPS signal is 0 to ~+5 VDC so that was the choice I initially made in RS2, then I saw the autocal feature for the accelerometers and wondered how to get the TPS into this "menu." Now I know!

I discovered the online button right away and have tried to use it, but I suspect it won't work for brakes, TPS and AFR until I have the channels properly configured, which I will do today... after I make some carbon fiber pieces for dash mounting.

Perhaps later this week I will make a final decision on brakes... on/off is probably fine for my intended use of this system. I don't envision spending too much time looking at the fine details of braking in the data. I don't expect to find any meaningful lap time there in my application, in the near term. Yet I may go ahead and configure brake pressure as a "while I am at it." Especially if I can find a really great location for a sensor.

I am not worried about the +12 VDC... I am sure AIM designed in some headroom.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

on/off is probably fine for my intended use of this system. I don't envision spending too much time looking at the fine details of braking in the data. I don't expect to find any meaningful lap time there in my application, in the near term.
NOOOO!

You NEED this info.

THIS is where the greatest variance exists from what you THINK you're doing and what you ARE doing. It's worth it. Honest.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts
Default Installing Data Acq. System

Originally Posted by ProCoach
NOOOO!

You NEED this info.

THIS is where the greatest variance exists from what you THINK you're doing and what you ARE doing. It's worth it. Honest.
I completely agree with Peter. This is true even at the pro level.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I am sure there will be braking variance, just like other variables that will affect lap time. Car stuff (like tire temp), track conditions, traffic, et cetera.

I will only be going to three tracks in the near term and I have a lot of laps at these tracks. I am sure I'll peek at data but I am more interested in video. I am a bit old school and can usually find the biggest improvements using a focus on exit speed.

I bought the system to have a lap timer and a tool to log and later check AFR versus rpm. Plus a tool that can show me 100% throttle and brake on/off in video.

My application is pretty specific. I am not trying to optimize and get the final tenth or two.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:43 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To clarify my question about oil temp, I only care about it if I am going to remove the existing stock 911 combo gauge. I am leaning in that direction as of now, as I cannot think of a reason to keep it.
I've got my AiM dash in front of the 996 Cup dash. The only reason I still use the original dash is to see the fuel level, as I can't get that on my AiM dash.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I've got my AiM dash in front of the 996 Cup dash. The only reason I still use the original dash is to see the fuel level, as I can't get that on my AiM dash.
You might be able to use http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/ to get fuel level into the AiM Dash. It's what I use on the Miata....
Old 12-27-2015, 08:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasilko
You might be able to use http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com/icm-fuel-sender/ to get fuel level into the AiM Dash. It's what I use on the Miata....
I use this also. Works great. I get a calibrated fuel level reading, and I've set up a warning light that flashes when I get down below 1 gallon.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I have created and installed a mockup panel for the GDASH. Visibility seems good. Final version will be created with carbon fiber.

Still need to verify my "custom sensor" for brake on/off-- the RS software is a little confusing as to how to best do this. Right now I have it set up where a 0 VDC signal gives 0 V, and signals from +1 to +12 VDC from the brake light switch give +5 VDC to the EVO4. This all may be moot if I install a pressure sender to use instead of the brake light switch. This will depend on ease of plumbing near my master cylinder.

Also need to finalize install of the AIM temp sensor-- looking at the breather cover for that.

The AIM oil pressure sender set up I bought (with VDO sender) tracks well with the factory set up.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2015, 05:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have created and installed a mockup panel for the GDASH. Visibility seems good. Final version will be created with carbon fiber.
Sweet!
Old 12-28-2015, 07:40 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That dash warning light... when that goes on, your last thoughts must be, "My God, it's full of stars."

Quick Reply: Installing Data Acq. System