Notices

TPS for 964-based TB, and Looking for used EVO4/G-dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts
Default TPS for 964-based TB, and Looking for used EVO4/G-dash

I am considering purchase and implementation of a data acq. system for my race car. My Haltech ECU does not have any outputs.

My induction system includes a 964 TB, which already has a Haltech TPS mounted. It is not clear whether I can use the existing TPS for dual purposes, so I am looking for ideas to add a dedicated TPS for whatever data acq. system I buy. I can come up with something, but figured there may be someone out there with a solution I can copy.

My leading candidate for data is an EVO4/G-Dash system. I am also starting to look for a used one if anyone is upgrading and looking to sell.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I know I'm not the norm, but I don't advocate tapping into existing ECU sensor wiring. If/when you have an ECU problem, you'll always be wondering if your tap is in the problem. It shouldn't be too hard to make a mount and link for another rotary sensor on that throttle body.

Which Haltech ECU do you have?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I currently have one pre-owned EVO4/G-Dash combo and one pre-owned EVO4/MyChron-3 Dash, as well as two pre-owned Solo DL/Rev1 SCHD combos.

The EVO4 in the combo was used ONCE (Walter Mitty Challenge, April 2015) and the G-Dash that comes with it is new, never used.

Contact me offline if interested.

Depending on the Haltech ECU, you can get that info off the ECU.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I will send you a PM Peter.

My Haltech ECU is so old it runs DOS. I am not interested in spending $2-3k for an upgrade just to get CAN for easy comm to a modern data acq system.

I can come up with a way to rig a string or rotary pot for data acq. TPS, but I figured I'd see if someone else came up with something clever first.

I think my Haltech is robust enough to handle a y connection provided that the input impedance of the data acq system is high enough.

I have never had any problems with my ECU.

- Mike
Old 10-07-2015, 04:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mahler9th

My Haltech ECU is so old it runs DOS. I am not interested in spending $2-3k for an upgrade just to get CAN for easy comm to a modern data acq system.

I can come up with a way to rig a string or rotary pot for data acq. TPS, but I figured I'd see if someone else came up with something clever first.

I think my Haltech is robust enough to handle a y connection provided that the input impedance of the data acq system is high enough.

- Mike
It's worth a shot. Should be 0-5V as opposed to resistance, IIRC.

I used to use those small rotary pots on linkage, like this: http://www.britishracecar.com/MarkWe...sle-35F-BG.jpg

But I had too much trouble, so now I only recommend the use of string potentiometers, like this one: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post7413511
Old 10-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've found the rotary pots to be more robust than the string pots. The string pots, if not properly aligned, will cause the string to wear and break. The linkage for the rotary pot is usually pretty straight forward. I've done some magnetic hall rotary sensors as well. They are pretty trick.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Since AiM made an upgrade from the nylon and monofilament "string" to a braided stainless wire, I have not seen that issue.

The Hall effect sensors (non-contact) look cool!

I have lost a LOT of arms out of the rotary pots, specifically these: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/images/L/MC-202.JPG
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just saw this. If this works on your throttle body, it would be the best way. http://turbokraft.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=145

Quick Reply: TPS for 964-based TB, and Looking for used EVO4/G-dash