Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default GPS issues

My SC HD GP acted up yesterday.
On power up it displays "NO GPS".

When I disconnect the GPS cable it reads "GPS search..."

I have an AIM MXL Strada. I received no lap times and I just discovered my sessions were not recorded either.

Puzzling... as it has worked flawlessly to this point, the SC HD GP is only 2 months old and nothing has changed physically.

Any/all suggestions would be REALLY appreciated!!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Antenna wire pinched? Antenna on top of the car? GPS Manager showing tracks?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Antenna wire pinched? Antenna on top of the car? GPS Manager showing tracks?
Wire is not pinched, antenna is exposed and GPS Manager now says "AIM device with NO GPS unit connected".

It's worked flawlessly until yesterday.

CORRECTION: it's the EXT cable (middle cable) that runs from the SC to the AIM dash that causes me to lose GPS signal. With this EXT cable disconnected at the SC, and I get the "GPS search..." it will gain a GPS signal. So my GPS module is working, but something in the AIM dash causes the signal to be eliminated.
Sorry for the confusion, but hope this helps smarter folks to help me fix the problem.

Last edited by NVRANUF; 09-19-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I would send the antenna back to Roanoke or Lake Elsinore AiM Sports offices, whichever is closer, and have them take a look. It's an active antenna, meaning voltage is supplied to it, the track database is saved to it and it's "smart." Rarely, but possible, is an internal open or voltage converter issue in the antenna itself.

If you want, you could call Cameron or Josh Hanrahan at AiM Sports on the 800 number and they may have some remote troubleshooting capability. I've sold hundreds of these units and they are robust. Only two or three failures, rectified immediately by the good support crew.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:59 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I would send the antenna back to Roanoke or Lake Elsinore AiM Sports offices, whichever is closer, and have them take a look. It's an active antenna, meaning voltage is supplied to it, the track database is saved to it and it's "smart." Rarely, but possible, is an internal open or voltage converter issue in the antenna itself.

If you want, you could call Cameron or Josh Hanrahan at AiM Sports on the 800 number and they may have some remote troubleshooting capability. I've sold hundreds of these units and they are robust. Only two or three failures, rectified immediately by the good support crew.

Good luck!
CORRECTION: it's the EXT cable (middle cable) that runs from the SC to the AIM dash that causes me to lose GPS signal. With this EXT cable disconnected at the SC, and I get the "GPS search..." it will acquire a GPS signal. So my GPS module is working, but something in the AIM dash causes the "NO GSP" message and the signal to be eliminated.
Sorry for the confusion, but hope this helps smarter folks to help me fix the problem.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:37 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you updated the firmware recently on either the dash or the SC? I have an MXG and an SC HD GP and have the same exact issue.

Getting "No GPS" on dash and SC. Putting in new antenna only changed the SC to say "GPS searching".

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...re-update.html

I have been in talks with Josh. He asked me to go back and update all the firmware to the lastest versions and check again. I don't think it will resolve the issue. I am thinking I will be sending in my dash, my data hub, my antenna and my SC back to AIM to get them to trouble shoot. I really think this is something internal.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Actually, on the new dashes (MXG/MXS/MXL2), the communications issues are the reason why there have been two recent fw updates for those systems in close proximity in the last six weeks.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Just sitting there with only the GPS connected to SC

It works one minute:

Then moments later it's "not connected"

In order for it to reconnect I must unscrew the GPS cable, wait 10-20seconds and then reconnect. GPS will then be connected... for a few random minutes or seconds.

If GPS is at a functioning part of the cycle, it quits 100% of the time immediately when I reconnect the AIM dash to the EXT port on the SC.

reconnecting the camera cable has no effect on the cycle of "run - no run"

Quick Reply: GPS issues