Notices

No GPS after firmware update?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 04:29 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No GPS after firmware update?

Updated the firmware on the MXG and SC HD GP the other day. At track and getting no GPS signal. All versions current. RS3 3.05.02, MXG 1.14.57, SC HD 1.043.46. Worked fine before.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by gobuffs
Updated the firmware on the MXG and SC HD GP the other day. At track and getting no GPS signal. All versions current. RS3 3.05.02, MXG 1.14.57, SC HD 1.043.46. Worked fine before.
Odd. Ok. Next step, connect MXG and run GPS Manager. A) you should see the MXG and B) you should see what if any tracks are on the dash. The camera is slaved, so that should not need it separately.

IF you have to load the tracks again, do it.

Next step is to do the same with RS3. Connect to the MXG, go to live measures and see what GPS readings you have. Worst case, suck down the config, save and send again, making sure reference speed is "GPS Speed."

Other possibility is that it doesn't see the antenna through CAN. Do you have a "SAT" count or "GPS Good" text on the MXG?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I've had firmware updates wipe out the GPS coordinates. Check those first.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:39 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check after dinner. The SC says "No GPS". Dash basically says same thing. I'll dig more later.

I rolled SC back one firmware. May do that to the dash as well.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check after dinner. The SC says "No GPS". Dash basically says same thing. I'll dig more later.

I rolled SC back one firmware. May do that to the dash as well.
Last thing to try is to clone the old config with the new firmware and resend it to the dash. It's not talking to the antenna, so that's where I would look.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

rolled both dash and Sc back to previous firmware. Still same issue. SC says no GPS, dash says search.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok. Go back to the latest firmware fo all components.

Build another config using the latest release of RS3 and transmit.

The things in the latest firmware to fix intermittent communications may have broken the old config.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Josh had me check that the dash sees the GPS module in the firmware update page and it does. I have a new antenna coming to try to see if that fixes the issue.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:27 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Got a new antenna today. It did change things but didn't fix the issue. The thing that changed is now the SC shows "GPS searching"- used to show "No GPS". The dash still shows searching as it did before. I might have to take it all out after this weekend and send it to Aim to get them to figure it out. Can't be the dash or the SC having an issue as one is not dependent of the other one for GPS, but I have no idea what the problem is. The only thing at this point in time is the car is in the trailer (all aluminum) but I can get the antenna at least mostly outside. The GPS picks up inside my all metal garage so I don't think that is the issue but I haven't had the car in a completely unobstructed view of the sky.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did you allow the GPS to stay at the 'GPS Searching" stage? Even outside with a 100% clear view of the sky, the 1st time you connect (cold start) it can take quite a while to download and calculate the true position. With yours being in a trailer and having only partial view of the sky, it could take a while. I suggest you just turn it on and let it read for a while, go and do another task or 2 and then check in on it.

After the initial very cold start, subsequent starts will be MUCH faster because the sensor will have stored data in it and know its appx location on the face of the earth. That first one can be long especially if the sensor does not have a perfect view of the sky.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:50 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caddell
How long did you allow the GPS to stay at the 'GPS Searching" stage? Even outside with a 100% clear view of the sky, the 1st time you connect (cold start) it can take quite a while to download and calculate the true position. With yours being in a trailer and having only partial view of the sky, it could take a while. I suggest you just turn it on and let it read for a while, go and do another task or 2 and then check in on it.

After the initial very cold start, subsequent starts will be MUCH faster because the sensor will have stored data in it and know its appx location on the face of the earth. That first one can be long especially if the sensor does not have a perfect view of the sky.

Dunno. Seemed like awhile. The one still says "No GPS" on the SC. The new one says "GPS search". Dash says GPS search with either of them. Both show up in the MXG connected device list. I put the new one in and will see if it decides to work tomorrow. I didn't realize a GPS antenna was this complicated.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:58 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

data is all messed. Bunch of various length files (seconds to a few minutes). Found one of the CAN wires to the ECU fell out (was getting drops then it looks like it completely came out). Doesn't explain the short files and GPS issue. Dunno.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

data is all messed. Bunch of various length files (seconds to a few minutes). Found one of the CAN wires to the ECU fell out (was getting drops then it looks like it completely came out). Doesn't explain the short files and GPS issue. Dunno.
If you do GPS lap insert does it fix anything? If you still have the data in the dash download it as one file and try.

Check your power supply too. That can cause weird problems. What did you use as a recording trigger?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you do GPS lap insert does it fix anything? If you still have the data in the dash download it as one file and try.

Check your power supply too. That can cause weird problems. What did you use as a recording trigger?
Didn't try lap insert...not even sure where to put one (like I don't know where in the data it should go (I could probably figure it out by top speed location). Forgot about the download as one file option (I guess that is similar from RS2 to RS3?).

Thought about ground issue but figured if that was it the dash would reboot but it isn't. Trigger was GPS >35 but when I got no data last weekend I changed to RPM over 4000.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can do the lap insert with start/finish which is already there. It will just tell you if the GPS was getting good data or not. The download as one file is like RS2 but in a tab if I remember right (I don't have a dash to get screen shots with me).

If you are getting RPM through CAN and that connection was dropping, it might have started logging new files. I've had similar problems with power supply where the dash wouldn't necessarily restart, but would lose power and cause file problems.

Quick Reply: No GPS after firmware update?